ADVERTISEMENT

Rep. Liz Cheney (R) considering 2024 presidential run; "Whatever it takes to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office"

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

Generally speaking, about the last moment in which you want to discuss running for president is hours after you suffer a crippling defeat. But there was Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), fresh off a 37-point loss in her GOP primary Tuesday, on NBC's "Today" show floating the possibility of a national 2024 run.

"It is something I'm thinking about, and I'll make a decision in the coming months," Cheney said, emphasizing that she'll be "doing whatever it takes to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office."

Cheney has raised the possibility before, but she suggested Wednesday that she's not particularly chastened by her party's historic rebuke. And she quickly converted her House campaign into a leadership committee aimed at thwarting Trump in 2024.

The idea that Cheney would have virtually any shot at winning a national Republican primary after such a loss in her home state is, on its face, laughable. And Cheney is shrewd enough to know that.

Even in the best of circumstances for Cheney — a timeline in which she is smartly playing the long game and banking on Trump's ultimate downfall — the 2024 campaign is very near. As Cheney noted, the first campaigns are likely to be launched within a few months. There are also few signs of any major anti-Trump shift in the party, despite multiple legal problems for Trump and signs that GOP voters might look elsewhere — such as to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) — for their next nominee. It's also possible Cheney is merely using this speculation, as many politicians do, to remain politically relevant.

But Cheney has also proved that she's willing to lean into a lopsided loss to try to prove a point. And a 2024 bid presents an opportunity, at the very least, to do that.

She has set herself up to possibly run as a centrist democrat. It’s a strategic move to oppose trump as she does.

So let’s say she runs as a democrat vs Donald Trump. She will get the dem vote and get 20-30% of republicans who agree that Donald trump needs to gtfo.

She has set herself up to possibly run as a centrist democrat. It’s a strategic move to oppose trump as she does.

So let’s say she runs as a democrat vs Donald Trump. She will get the dem vote and get 20-30% of republicans who agree that Donald trump needs to gtfo.
She’s nowhere near a centrist Democrat. She’s a solid Republican who has a sense of decency when it comes to January 6 and the Donald. She won her primary two years ago with over 70% of the vote. Let this be a lesson, the new Grand Trump Party has no space for you if you question the leader.

Also, if Trump does not run or has to pull out for health / jail, she will be the only non MAGA candidate and the others will divide up Trumps votes so she could end up winning some states.

Also, if Trump does not run or has to pull out for health / jail, she will be the only non MAGA candidate and the others will divide up Trumps votes so she could end up winning some states.
She just lost by 60 points in her home state. The Democrats new found love of Dick Cheney and his family is pretty hilarious. Democrats only love what helps keep Democrats in complete and total power.

She just lost by 60 points in her home state. The Democrats new found love of Dick Cheney and his family is pretty hilarious. Democrats only love what helps keep Democrats in complete and total power.
You are such a dumb fuq. That is not at all what we want. We want a sane and decent person running on the GOP presidential side. Not a lunatic. A Dole or Bush or McCain or Romney or yes a Cheney way better to have as president should we lose than deplorable MAGA candidate or the MAGA himself.

You are such a dumb fuq. That is not at all what we want. We want a sane and decent person running on the GOP presidential side. Not a lunatic. A Dole or Bush or McCain or Romney or yes a Cheney way better to have as president should we lose than deplorable MAGA candidate or the MAGA himself.

You seem mad when you drop the F bomb.

Be honest. You will vilify the GOP candidate regardless.

She’s nowhere near a centrist Democrat. She’s a solid Republican who has a sense of decency when it comes to January 6 and the Donald. She won her primary two years ago with over 70% of the vote. Let this be a lesson, the new Grand Trump Party has no space for you if you question the leader.
This. It is quite interesting that I have constantly heard "it's not the man it's the policies... yet this woman is vilified by Rs for questioning dear leader... she voted with Trump over 90% of the time. You would think those that have said that would be like hey it is about the policies and this woman represents me. But nope they continue to do everything possible to support the orange turd. Not a cult.

The good thing about her if she is the candidate is it would be really hard for the dems to say she is "worse than Trump ". That will be the rally cry with any other candidate no matter who it is.

Reactions: doughuddl2
I would call anyone voting for Trump in 24 an "incipient fascist". The guy tried to overthrow a free and fair election and install himself as a dictator.

Shapiro's basically saying the Republican party is a mobster party now--pure tribalism. LOL that this is still the party self-tagging as the morality and values party.

And I think she would run as a Republican so she could be in the debates and reveal truth to the lost souls there.

And I think she would run as a Republican so she could be in the debates and reveal truth to the lost souls there.
If she runs, I expect it to be as an independent. Getting stomped by the cult in a primary would do nothing to impede Trump. Effectively blocking them from having any chance in the general, however, might move the needle.

Not if she runs as an independent.

Even if she only garners 5% of typical GOP voters in the general, that would doom Trump against any Democrat.
I think Trump is already doomed against any Democrat. To your other point in this thread, I agree the most damage she could do would be to run as an independent, if Trump is the Republican nominee.

She has Haliburton money. Think she'll be ok. Warmongering already made them a fortune.
Hope she runs, she'll take the 5% off old Joe's side regardless of who the GOP put up. Old Joe first had to get AOC support to make the ticket.

Hope she runs, she'll take the 5% off old Joe's side regardless of who the GOP put up. Old Joe first had to get AOC support to make the ticket.
Yep, and the Republican nominee has to get the 6 million was not enough crowd. I'd really be looking down at AOC as a hard core conservative.

You would have thought she might have gotten some Dem support in the open primary. But the results would say only the media love her and those still haunted by Trump

Reactions: Ree4
Then if she really wanted to remain in Congress she's not very bright is she?

Reactions: HIWILLE
ADVERTISEMENT