ADVERTISEMENT

Rep. Liz Cheney (R) considering 2024 presidential run; "Whatever it takes to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office"

You nailed it.

They will put her on every MSNBC show to promote her "courage" that they can.
You're putting "courage" in quotes here? I know everything is "up is down" and Orwellian with you people but WTF?

Her path to eventually becoming speaker of the house or even getting the Republican Presidential nomination was clear if she just went along with the cult on 1/6 and the Trump Presidency. All she had to was go with the flow. Like her opponent Hagedorn in Wyoming who was anti-Trump in 2016 or Elise Stefanik, who took over Cheney's House whip position.

Up is down, night is day in Trump cult land.

I think Trump is already doomed against any Democrat. To your other point in this thread, I agree the most damage she could do would be to run as an independent, if Trump is the Republican nominee.

Conventional thinking maybe. It's a risk though because I could see her taking votes away from the Dem nominee if conservatives who detest Trump choose her over holding their nose and voting for the Dem.

I honestly don't know how this plays out and who she takes votes from. It's a question of what conservatives who might not like Trump would do in 2024 if she isn't on the ballot. Would they hold their nose and vote for Trump or hold their nose and vote for the Dem (Probably Biden). And if she's on the ballot would those who might hold their nose and vote for Trump actually vote for her knowing full well that she's essentially running with the intention of splitting the vote.

Conventional thinking maybe. It's a risk though because I could see her taking votes away from the Dem nominee if conservatives who detest Trump choose her over holding their nose and voting for the Dem.

I honestly don't know how this plays out and who she takes votes from. It's a question of what conservatives who might not like Trump would do in 2024 if she isn't on the ballot. Would they hold their nose and vote for Trump or hold their nose and vote for the Dem (Probably Biden). And if she's on the ballot would those who might hold their nose and vote for Trump actually vote for her knowing full well that she's essentially running with the intention of splitting the vote.
Or not vote at all. If the democrats nominate Biden, then they have just stopped trying. He would give Trump a glimmer of hope.

Not if she runs as an independent.

Even if she only garners 5% of typical GOP voters in the general, that would doom Trump against any Democrat.

This is what the gloating MAGATs in this thread seem to be missing. She is most likely to run as an independent, not to challenge Trump in a primary. And all she needs to do is siphon off a few percentage points to guarantee that their cult leader loses.

She will try and Ross Perot Trump or Desantis. All she is right now is a tool for the left.
LOL. These days, if you aren't a full blown fascist, you can't be a member of the repugnant party. If you're just a normal conservative who goes against what the fuhrer wants, then the cult calls them tools for the left. Anti-American scum.

LOL. These days, if you aren't a full blown fascist, you can't be a member of the repugnant party. If you're just a normal conservative who goes against what the fuhrer wants, then the cult calls them tools for the left. Anti-American scum.
Yes, the party that limits free speech, enforces mandatory jabs, couples a "private sector" with government, and raids their political rivals are totally not the fascists!

Fool

Can GOP Voters Handle the Truth?​

Liz Cheney told the people of Wyoming and America to snap out of their Trump-induced trance.
By Tom Nichols
Liz Cheney in front of a microphone

Liz Cheney giving her Wyoming primary concession speech on August 16 (Alex Wong / Getty)
AUGUST 17, 2022, 5:30 PM ET

It’s rare to see a politician speak hard truths to surly—and even dangerous—fellow citizens, but that’s exactly what Liz Cheney did in her concession speech last night.

Representative Liz Cheney was blown out in her reelection bid last night. She lost the Wyoming Republican primary to Harriet Hageman, which in their deep-red state is tantamount to losing the general election. Hageman was once a Cheney ally and a critic of Donald Trump, but she is now a Trump booster and an election denier. Like so many Republicans, Hageman has decided that the humiliation of bending the knee to Trump is a price worth paying in order to live in Washington, D.C.

Cheney’s defeat was no surprise, but it is an especially bitter pill to swallow for the Never Trump former Republicans (as Charlie Sykes and I discussed in a podcast today) who saw Cheney as the last outpost of the party they once knew. Cheney nodded to the GOP’s free fall in her concession speech. “I believe deeply in the principles and the ideals on which my party was founded,” she told her supporters. “I love its history, and I love what our party has stood for, but I love my country more.”

Notice the use of the past tense there.

The remarkable thing about Cheney’s speech is that it was aimed squarely at the voters. It was certainly not aimed at Trump; Cheney, as well as anyone, knows the pointlessness of addressing Trump in anything like an adult conversation. It wasn’t even really directed at the institutional Republican Party, which is beyond repair at this point. Instead, Cheney

grabbed Republican voters by the lapels and told them to snap out of their Trump-induced trance.
“To believe Donald Trump’s election lies,” she said, “you must believe that dozens of federal and state courts who ruled against him, including many judges he appointed, were all corrupted and biased; that all manner of crazy conspiracy theories stole our election from us; and that Donald Trump actually remains president today.”
Nor did she shy away from accusing Trump of fomenting violence. The former president, Cheney charged, “knows that voicing these conspiracies will provoke violence and threats of violence. This happened on January 6, and it’s now happening again. It is entirely foreseeable that the violence will escalate further, yet he and others continue purposely to feed the danger … No patriotic American should excuse these threats or be intimidated by them.”

All of this was said almost as a challenge: Are you really one of the people who can believe this madness? Are you the kind of person who is going to let Trump goad you into violence because of lies?
Likewise, Cheney warned against electing even those in her own party who have already vowed to undermine the rule of law:

Today, as we meet here, there are Republican candidates for governor who deny the outcome of the 2020 election, and who may refuse to certify future elections if they oppose the results. We have candidates for secretary of state who may refuse to report the actual results of the popular vote in future elections. And we have candidates for Congress, including here in Wyoming, who refuse to acknowledge that Joe Biden won the 2020 election and suggest that states decertify their results.

“No American,” she continued, “should support election deniers for any position of genuine responsibility, where their refusal to follow the rule of law will corrupt our future.” She might as well have pointed to the voters and added: And by no one, I mean you.

To make such a speech after a defeat in a populous state such as Ohio or Georgia would be difficult enough, but to do so in Wyoming is particularly courageous. In a bigger place with more cities, a defeated candidate could disappear into the crowd and live a busy life far from his or her critics—something, in a time of increasing political violence, that might seem particularly attractive after losing an election. But Wyoming’s natural grandeur is populated by a relatively tiny number of voters: The entire state has fewer residents than the city of Boston. Everyone knows the Cheney family, and a retreat into peaceful anonymity is not an option.
Not that it matters: Cheney seems completely uninterested in leaving the public square. She is already putting together a political organization of some sort, according to a Politico report this morning, and she is likely to be an even more public warrior against Trumpism now—perhaps even in a GOP presidential primary?—than she could ever be in Congress.

Whatever her future, her willingness to tell the voters that they have a duty, a positive obligation, to defend the American Constitution and the rule of law was a bracing moment in an era where too many politicians merely pander to extremists and coddle the very worst citizens among us. I want to hope that Cheney, for just a moment, broke through the fog that surrounds the mind of Republican voters, but I am pessimistic. Still, she vowed that the end of her congressional career is only the beginning of her fight against Trump, and so Liz Cheney’s story is far from over.

Yes, the party that limits free speech, enforces mandatory jabs, couples a "private sector" with government, and raids their political rivals are totally not the fascists!

Fool
LOL. Raid? Looking for top secret documents on a criminals property with a search warrant is a raid? You need to widen your scope and not be told what to think by your fuhrer, although I realize actual thinking is beyond your capabilities.

LOL. Raid? Looking for top secret documents on a criminals property with a search warrant is a raid? You need to widen your scope and not be told what to think by your fuhrer, although I realize actual thinking is beyond your capabilities.
What happened to Trump was a search.

What happened to Breonna Taylor was a raid.

What happened to Trump was a search.

What happened to Breonna Taylor was a raid.
Yes but the guy who lived with her had a gun and a black person shouldn't have a gun if people, who don't identify themselves, comes breaking down your door.

She just lost by 60 points in her home state. The Democrats new found love of Dick Cheney and his family is pretty hilarious. Democrats only love what helps keep Democrats in complete and total power.
You are an idiot.

If she runs as an independent, she will garnish just enough votes from would be R voters that Biden will likely get elected a second time. The Republican party is coming apart.

Fool
Umm Trump is the one who denied the election results. You know the ones that were audited in several places and went to court in several others. All the while, no evidence of widespread election fraud was found yet many elected Rs tried overturning the results.

What exactly would you call that? Do you really want a system where the sitting President can just have election results overturned if he or she doesn't like them?

Oh Caroline...

Umm Trump is the one who denied the election results. You know the ones that were audited in several places and went to court in several others. All the while, no evidence of widespread election fraud was found yet many elected Rs tried overturning the results.

What exactly would you call that? Do you really want a system where the sitting President can just have election results overturned if he or she doesn't like them?
What was it when Hillary denied election results? Or Stacey Abrhams?

You're putting "courage" in quotes here? I know everything is "up is down" and Orwellian with you people but WTF?

Her path to eventually becoming speaker of the house or even getting the Republican Presidential nomination was clear if she just went along with the cult on 1/6 and the Trump Presidency. All she had to was go with the flow. Like her opponent Hagedorn in Wyoming who was anti-Trump in 2016 or Elise Stefanik, who took over Cheney's House whip position.

Up is down, night is day in Trump cult land.
You really dont believe that do you???

There was about as much chance of her becoming the GOP candidate as me switching to be an Iowa St. fan.

This is what the gloating MAGATs in this thread seem to be missing. She is most likely to run as an independent, not to challenge Trump in a primary. And all she needs to do is siphon off a few percentage points to guarantee that their cult leader loses.
^^^^^Cheney running hurts the Republicans way more than it hurts the Dems.

AINEC

What she is talking about is running a third party/independent conservative republican if Trump gets the nomination. Maybe she runs, but more likely a non-maga republican with a bigger name. Any semi-retired GOPers out there with national name rec who hate Trump?
^^^^^Cheney running hurts the Republicans way more than it hurts the Dems.

AINEC

What was it when Hillary denied election results? Or Stacey Abrhams?
Hillary did not deny the results. She conceeded.

Why didn't Trump attend the inaugration of Biden? First President since the 1800s not to do so and a big reason why most of his followers still believe the election results are not valid. Very un American.

ADVERTISEMENT