ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah to meet with Big-12

It's comical watching ISU fans trying to spin this realignment talk as a positive for the Big12.

I do think they're counting on the PAC 12 folding, which I don't believe is a given.

I think getting Sam Diego and maybe a Colorado State/Boise to join and getting them to take reduced shares for several years can save the conference and get a decent TV contract.

I also believe Big12 fans are overestimating what they're getting from adding Houston and the Florida school.

I think the PAC-12 is on life support, and if any of the rumors flying around are remotely accurate, then it looks like the AZ schools along with possibly Utah and Colorado will be fleeing the conference for the Big12 in the near future.

Throw in the confirmed fact that both Oregon and Washington have let the B1G know they are ready to join now or once the conference is ready, and it's obvious the PAC-12 is dead man walking.

I think the PAC-12 is on life support, and if any of the rumors flying around are remotely accurate, then it looks like the AZ schools along with possibly Utah and Colorado will be fleeing the conference for the Big12 in the near future.

Throw in the confirmed fact that both Oregon and Washington have let the B1G know they are ready to join now or once the conference is ready, and it's obvious the PAC-12 is dead man walking.
I'd love to see Kevin the Commish announce the new B1G contract on Tuesday, with the addition of a few new teams (Cal, Stanford, Oregon, & Washington) in 2025.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I don't think it's a given that the B1G is going to expand any more anytime soon, and even if they do, it's even less of a given that more Pac-12 teams will be involved.

For this reason, I just can't see any Pac-12 teams fleeing for the Big XII in the near future. Why the heck would you leave a conference with schools with the combined academic and athletic traditions as Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah and Colorado to join up with Iowa St, Texas Tech, Cincinnati and Central Florida? Just makes no sense to me.

Despite the hit the Pac-12 took this month, I still consider them to be in a position of power compared to the Big 12. The only "disadvantage" is that they have member institutions that could be of interest to the B1G, which puts them at risk for future poaching. The Big XII does not have this problem. And like I said in another thread, why rush things? All 10 remaining members of the Pac-12 would be a major upgrade for the Big 12. If the Pac-12 is victim to further poaching, and don't feel like they can save things with additions like Boise St, SDSU, etc, then the Big XII will be waiting with open arms if need be.

I'd love to see Kevin the Commish announce the new B1G contract on Tuesday, with the addition of a few new teams (Cal, Stanford, Oregon, & Washington) in 2025.

I see that happening eventually, once the two big dogs decide to go full mega with 24 teams each.

B1G adds not just those four you mention, but also ND, UNC, UVA and Duke.

I see that happening eventually, once the two big dogs decide to go full mega with 24 teams each.

B1G adds not just those four you mention, but also ND, UNC, UVA and Duke.
You're correct; that's how it ends in the end. However, I'm gettin' too old, and can't wait.

I don't think it's a given that the B1G is going to expand any more anytime soon, and even if they do, it's even less of a given that more Pac-12 teams will be involved.

For this reason, I just can't see any Pac-12 teams fleeing for the Big XII in the near future. Why the heck would you leave a conference with schools with the combined academic and athletic traditions as Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah and Colorado to join up with Iowa St, Texas Tech, Cincinnati and Central Florida? Just makes no sense to me.

Despite the hit the Pac-12 took this month, I still consider them to be in a position of power compared to the Big 12. The only "disadvantage" is that they have member institutions that could be of interest to the B1G, which puts them at risk for future poaching. The Big XII does not have this problem. And like I said in another thread, why rush things? All 10 remaining members of the Pac-12 would be a major upgrade for the Big 12. If the Pac-12 is victim to further poaching, and don't feel like they can save things with additions like Boise St, SDSU, etc, then the Big XII will be waiting with open arms if need be.
I tend to agree with everything you say (but, I still don't like it).

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
That's some slow growth. My short term U.S. Treasuries grow faster than Big 12 TV revenue.

I guess maybe the $'s will go up a little, but everything is relative. This is like having all your $ in money market accounts throughout the '90s while your competitors were invested in blue chips. You can't possibly look at this and not come to the conclusion that the have-nots are staring at a major $ problem on the horizon.

Honest question from me: What is Iowa going to spend all of that money on? At some point there has to be some diminishing returns here.

Hey Bryce,

Can you answer a very simple question? Why do clown fans get so worked up about the former player committee that was in place only for KF’s use? Don’t clown fan understand it had no authority to make changes to the football program and was advisory only? Seems to me clown fans either refuse to understand the committee or just want to be the d-bags they always are.

Would love an honest response.

Honest response is that it's a rivalry and the racial stuff looks bad for Iowa and so the guys that get wrapped up in the rivalry try to use it to dunk on Iowa.

Admittedly I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion. I think this is another example of something like the Rhabdo thing. I think it's a bad look. I don't think Kirk took Rhabdo seriously (gave Doyle the award after) just like I don't think he took these complaints seriously (removed the advisory committee after a very short time). I think Kirk is going to run the program the way he wants to and if people don't like that they can get the eff out. I also don't think that's necessarily unique to him.

From all reports ESPN is lowballing the PAC big time. I'm not going to post rumors about specific amounts because I don't know. All I know is that Jason Scheer who is a reporter on the Arizona beat basically said the numbers they are getting from ESPN just aren't enough. Also, they are talking about unequal revenue sharing with Oregon and Washington. There are a lot of things not to like with what we're hearing.

Honest response is that it's a rivalry and the racial stuff looks bad for Iowa and so the guys that get wrapped up in the rivalry try to use it to dunk on Iowa.

Admittedly I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion. I think this is another example of something like the Rhabdo thing. I think it's a bad look. I don't think Kirk took Rhabdo seriously (gave Doyle the award after) just like I don't think he took these complaints seriously (removed the advisory committee after a very short time). I think Kirk is going to run the program the way he wants to and if people don't like that they can get the eff out. I also don't think that's necessarily unique to him.
Got it, so when reality doesn’t match what clown fans have in their heads they simply ignore anything and everything that say’s otherwise. That is what I thought but it is nice getting a confirmation.

Now to correct some of your misinformation. KF did take Rhabo serious and changed how work outs were conducted and monitored. No issues since so it is hard to say he didn’t take it serious. Also the advisory committee was for KF only. He wanted the perspective of former players from the period in which the problems were coming from. You say it wasn’t in place long enough but how long does it need to be in place to get feedback from people not in the program? It was up and running for around 18 months and that seems like a long time to me when we are talking people that have not been in Iowa City for a number of years. But of course clown fans know better than anyone else just ask them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 515Clone
Hey Bryce remember last year when clown fans were wetting themselves over tickets being sold? Crybaby Jamie had his ticket thermometer up and running and pumping you all up with how isu had arrived. CyTwit , Brandon and the other douches on cryclown fanatic were touting how much better clown fans were at buying tickets than Hawk fans. In checking the stats, I see the clowns had a whopping while 3 sellouts for all that bluster.

Iowa is coming off another 10 win season and before July is over Hawk fans have already sold out more games than the best team is isu history.

As CyTwit would say YIKES.

Now to correct some of your misinformation. KF did take Rhabo serious and changed how work outs were conducted and monitored. No issues since so it is hard to say he didn’t take it serious. Also the advisory committee was for KF only. He wanted the perspective of former players from the period in which the problems were coming from. You say it wasn’t in place long enough but how long does it need to be in place to get feedback from people not in the program? It was up and running for around 18 months and that seems like a long time for me when we are talking people that have not been in Iowa City for a number of years.

If Campbell had a S&C coach put multiple kids in the hospital and then gave that S&C coach an award you would literally never drop it. My opinion is that was inappropriate and disrespectful to the players, some of whose careers were over after that and they never fully recovered. That's a completely valid opinion.

I think KF set up the committee, didn't like the answers he got, and axed it. Again, that's not some kind of wild theory, the guy who ran the committee basically said it. He's probably biased but I don't think one guy is more trustworthy than any other here.

If Campbell had a S&C coach put multiple kids in the hospital and then gave that S&C coach an award you would literally never drop it. My opinion is that was inappropriate and disrespectful to the players, some of whose careers were over after that and they never fully recovered. That's a completely valid opinion.

I think KF set up the committee, didn't like the answers he got, and axed it. Again, that's not some kind of wild theory, the guy who ran the committee basically said it. He's probably biased but I don't think one guy is more trustworthy than any other here.
Who in the Rhabo case didn’t recover and never played again as a result? Don’t bring misinformation unless you can back it up.

So after 18 months of getting feedback KF only decided to stop taking feedback when he got feedback he didn’t like? So of course once again we must only consider what clown fans tell us to in order for their bs argument to hold up. If the Iowa program is as bad as clown fans claim it is why is it that Iowa football had one of the lowest transfer rates of any school in FBS football? Oh right we must ignore that because it completely trashes what clown fans think “reality” is .

• Haha
Hey Bryce remember last year when clown fans were wetting themselves over tickets being sold? Crybaby Jamie had his ticket thermometer up and running and pumping you all up with how isu had arrived. CyTwit , Brandon and the other douches on cryclown fanatic were touting how much better clown fans were at buying tickets than Hawk fans. In checking the stats, I see the clowns had a whopping while 3 sellouts for all that bluster.

Iowa is coming off another 10 win season and before July is over Hawk fans have already sold out more games than the best team is isu history.

As CyTwit would say YIKES.

This will be the only thing I will say about the ticket thing, because I find it to be incredibly stupid.

Iowa does a fantastic job supporting their football team. They do a really good job doing it and there are years like this year when the schedule is really good that the tickets fly off the shelves. But even in years like last year where the schedule isn't as good, they still show out. Extremely high highs and floor is still really great.

ISU fans do a great job of supporting their team and are probably one of the best fanbases in the country at showing out for teams that aren't as successful.

The SEC and the Big 10 are where the fans are and where the eyeballs are and that's why that's where the money is. 2019 was the last year the NCAA released the official attendance stats. If you remove the SEC and Big 10, there were only 3 teams with higher attendance - Clemson, ND, and Washington.

I think both fanbases should be extremely happy with who they are currently and that's a great thing.

This will be the only thing I will say about the ticket thing, because I find it to be incredibly stupid.

Iowa does a fantastic job supporting their football team. They do a really good job doing it and there are years like this year when the schedule is really good that the tickets fly off the shelves. But even in years like last year where the schedule isn't as good, they still show out. Extremely high highs and floor is still really great.

ISU fans do a great job of supporting their team and are probably one of the best fanbases in the country at showing out for teams that aren't as successful.

The SEC and the Big 10 are where the fans are and where the eyeballs are and that's why that's where the money is. 2019 was the last year the NCAA released the official attendance stats. If you remove the SEC and Big 10, there were only 3 teams with higher attendance - Clemson, ND, and Washington.

I think both fanbases should be extremely happy with who they are currently and that's a great thing.
Bryce you are missing the point. The only reason ticket sales mattered last year is the insecurity of the isu fan base towards anything and everything related to Iowa .

This isn’t a new thing Bryce, it goes to one of the comer stones of the isu culture, hating Iowa. Once some random stat doesn’t fit some bogus argument from a clown fan, we automatically must ignore that is was even an argument from them to begin with.

Bryce you are missing the point. The only reason ticket sales mattered last year is the insecurity of the isu fan base towards anything and everything related to Iowa .

There is a certain segment of the ISU fanbase that fits the bill of what you're saying. You can call it ignoring it, but I find those people to be annoying and so I don't typically engage with them.

On the Iowa side, there is a certain segment of the fanbase that cannot give ISU any credit for anything. Any time ISU does anything remotely decent it's "yeah but..." I find those people annoying and typically don't engage with them.

I know why, in a rivalry, people tend to focus on the 5% of other fanbase that are douchebags. I just think it's a waste of time.

Reactions: natchrlman
Link that says he was physically unable to ever play again and it was due to Rhabo.

Fine. I'll walk that back. He sought an independent doctor to see if he was still fit to play, lost a ton of weight, experienced headaches and other medical issues for months afterward, transferred from Iowa and never played again. I can't say if he actually couldn't play, or just couldn't play well.

On the Iowa side, there is a certain segment of the fanbase that cannot give ISU any credit for anything.
This has inferiority complex written all over it. Clowns want to be relevant. Nobody and I mean NOBODY in the college sports world considers ISU relevant in anything. In part because most people see Ames Iowa as a city in the Middle of a Corn field, (which it is by the way). I have cousins in Colorado that actually thought ISU was a directional mid major.

• Love
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
How will the funding be limited? Based on all estimates reported, the next TV contract will be more than the current one even with no further expansion.
ISU no longer qualifies for the BIG as they lost (they lied and said they voluntarily dropped) AAU status.

If you know that, then you know that a bunch of other players on the committee disagreed with him.

Last edited:
I don't know how the numbers compare, but I don't see any need for the I Club in the future. Any private donations should go to the various collectives.
With no I Club, how do they auction seating priority? My understanding is that the university can't be associated directly with the collectives. I may be wrong about that, as this is all new to me.

ISU no longer qualifies for the BIG as they lost (they lied and said they voluntarily dropped) AAU status.

They weren't qualified for the Big 10 because they aren't in a major untapped media market. ISU could be Stanford and it wouldn't matter for inclusion to the Big 10.

With no I Club, how do they auction seating priority? My understanding is that the university can't be associated directly with the collectives. I may be wrong about that, as this is all new to me.
I think you have it right. I don’t know how it will work out, but the question of what they’re gonna do with all this money is a good one. I’m pretty sure the answer will be at odds with their mission statement as a public institution of higher learning.

If Campbell had a S&C coach put multiple kids in the hospital and then gave that S&C coach an award you would literally never drop it.
I highly doubt this. Iowa Fans don't have the inferiority complex and little brother syndrome clown fans do. I'm sure there would have been some comments in Jest. But nothing like being so obsessed to bring it up on the rival's message board more than a decade later. But here were are, more than a decade later.

Game day has been to Ames Twice. And in both instances, they were there because Iowa was there. No hawkeyes - no game day.
In the matter of about 13 months Clones went from being on top of the world and people talking about whether they would make the CFP to 2nd tier football. In between they got punked by Oklahoma and Texas and ESPN and had Ashton Kutcher be the guest picker in Ames and Iowa came in and played Kirk ball and punched them in the face and they lost every close game they were in.

Yup can't argue here with that. 99.9% of College Football fandom has no idea Ames even exists and outside of Central Iowa, Iowa State has zero relevance.
It is amazing how well known & respected the Hawkeyes are nationwide.

At the same time, most people are shocked to find out the Hawks have a little brother (besides Nebber) in the same state.

ADVERTISEMENT