ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah to meet with Big-12

I think you have it right. I don’t know how it will work out, but the question of what they’re gonna do with all this money is a good one. I’m pretty sure the answer will be at odds with their mission statement as a public institution of higher learning.
FWIW, at ISU the AD officially seems to be ignoring the NIL situation. A fund has been established, but the university appears to have nothing to do with it. Just the opposite: This year membership in the various Cyclone Club levels took a big hike.

It gets a little confusing. The Gridiron Club is also separate -- funds go only to football -- but it's channeled through the ISU Foundation in order to maintain institutional control. As I understand it, institutional control of the NIL funds is illegal.

In the matter of about 13 months Clones went from being on top of the world and people talking about whether they would make the CFP to 2nd tier football. In between they got punked by Oklahoma and Texas and ESPN and had Ashton Kutcher be the guest picker in Ames and Iowa came in and played Kirk ball and punched them in the face and they lost every close game they were in.
And a national audience got to see their “great fans” duck out in the third quarter when the outcome of the game was still (on paper) in doubt. Granted we all know they weren’t winning, but after all that hype it was funny to see their fans wave the white flag.

Oh and they were wearing black jerseys…against Iowa.

AND their golden boy QB got pulled from the game and Campbell had to answer questions about who was the starter going forward.

That game was classic clone football lol!

And a national audience got to see their “great fans” duck out in the third quarter when the outcome of the game was still (on paper) in doubt. Granted we all know they weren’t winning, but after all that hype it was funny to see their fans wave the white flag.

Oh and they were wearing black jerseys…against Iowa.

AND their golden boy QB got pulled from the game and Campbell had to answer questions about who was the starter going forward.

That game was classic clone football lol!
The only thing that didn’t happen that would have been a cherry on top was if two clown players would have plowed into each other fielding a punt. Or it could have been a kickoff just to make things interesting.

I think getting Sam Diego and maybe a Colorado State/Boise to join and getting them to take reduced shares for several years can save the conference and get a decent TV contract.

Per an Arizona beat writer, the PAC 12's offer from ESPN is now 24.5 million per year. This is why Oregon and Washington are talking unequal revenue.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Per an Arizona beat writer, the PAC 12's offer from ESPN is now 24.5 million per year. This is why Oregon and Washington are talking unequal revenue.

I see way too many Big XIIfans gloating over this. If this is the offer the PAC is getting WITH Oregon and Washington the offer for the Big XII might be scary too. This doesn’t look good for the Big XII to me.

Talking about the brand, not the all-time H2H.

Would anyone seriously consider Vanderbilt a better program than Auburn? The all-time series is tied.
I’m talking historical program success. And it’s not even close.

I’m talking historical program success. And it’s not even close.
Much of Colorado's early success happened before it joined the Big 12 in approx. 1950. Before then it played in the precursor to the WAC/Mountain West.

I'm sure Iowa State's all-time record would look a lot more respectable if it feasted on the likes of Wichita State and Drake every year until 1950 or 1960.

http://www.winsipedia.com/auburn/vs/vanderbilt

Comparing Auburn and Vandy the h2h is the outlier. Everything else screams Auburn is the better program by far.
Vandy was actually one of the premier brands of the region until around 1930 or so. To this day it remains the only team to score over 70 points against Alabama.

Then the SEC formed in 1932, and the program went downhill from there.

Much of Colorado's early success happened before it joined the Big 12 in approx. 1950. Before then it played in the precursor to the WAC/Mountain West.

I'm sure Iowa State's all-time record would look a lot more respectable if it feasted on the likes of Wichita State and Drake every year until 1950 or 1960.
Iowa State DID feast on the Drakes and Wichita State's of the world. 223 of their 555 total wins(only 268 against current P5 and Notre Dame) are against non FBS teams. That's 40% of their win total.

Colorado has 183 wins against current non FBS teams, only 24% of their total wins. Colorado has 377 wins against current P5 teams and has a .482 win percentage against P5, vs ISU's 31%.

By every single measurement imaginable, Colorado has been a far superior program on the field than ISU.

Iowa State DID feast on the Drakes and Wichita State's of the world. 223 of their 555 total wins(only 268 against current P5 and Notre Dame) are against non FBS teams. That's 40% of their win total.

Wow, that is some stat!!! Hard to believe, and so laughingly ISU. Where are you seeing that data?

Colorado has 183 wins against current non FBS teams, only 24% of their total wins. Colorado has 377 wins against current P5 teams and has a .482 win percentage against P5, vs ISU's 31%.

By every single measurement imaginable, Colorado has been a far superior program on the field than ISU.
I did a double-take there, and ISU indeed has 200+ wins against teams that do not currently compete at the FBS level.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Colorado is just not a very good program anyway you slice it (20 of their 26 conference championships predate their Big 8/12 days when for all intents and purposes they were the equivalent of a G5 program), but yikes. It's not hyperbole to say that ISU is enjoying its greatest success in program history under MC. Programs like Texas and Oklahoma would axe their coaches for going 8-4.

Last edited:
I did a double-take there, and ISU indeed has 200+ wins against teams that do not currently compete at the FBS level.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Colorado is just not a very good program anyway you slice it, but yikes. It's not hyperbole to say that ISU is enjoying its greatest success in program history under MC. Programs like Texas and Oklahoma would axe their coaches for going 8-4.
Braska yearns for their games versus Colorado.

• Haha
They are getting a "brutal" offer from ESPN, which you posted. So they somehow then add value to the Big 12??????
Looks like the goal is to go from five power conferences to four.

Could this drive UW/Oregon to accept a 50% share from the B1G for, say 10 years, to join? That 50% would like still be close to 2X what they might receive from Pac12 or Big12.

Without UW/Oregon, it's hard to think the other four schools help the Big12 very much.

Could this drive UW/Oregon to accept a 50% share from the B1G for, say 10 years, to join? That 50% would like still be close to 2X what they might receive from Pac12 or Big12.

Without UW/Oregon, it's hard to think the other four schools help the Big12 very much.
I'm assuming you're referring to revenue sharing.

The B1G is the richest conference currently, with each school earning about $57.2M for 2022. The PAC is the second-poorest with each school projected to earn about $34.4M for 2022. Half of $57.2M is less than $29M, which is over $5M less than they currently make as PAC members. I really don't think UW and Oregon would take a short-term pay cut just to join forces with the B1G (or any other conference).

That said, WASH and ORE don't have a lot of options. For financial stability their only real options are the B1G and the SEC. They could try to make a go of salvaging what's left of the PAC and maybe try to get some MWC and even B12 members on board (BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, OK State, Kansas, and maybe Colorado State)

I'm assuming you're referring to revenue sharing.

The B1G is the richest conference currently, with each school earning about $57.2M for 2022. The PAC is the second-poorest with each school projected to earn about $34.4M for 2022. Half of $57.2M is less than $29M, which is over $5M less than they currently make as PAC members. I really don't think UW and Oregon would take a short-term pay cut just to join forces with the B1G (or any other conference).

That said, WASH and ORE don't have a lot of options. For financial stability their only real options are the B1G and the SEC. They could try to make a go of salvaging what's left of the PAC and maybe try to get some MWC and even B12 members on board (BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, OK State, Kansas, and maybe Colorado State)
The poster is referring to future media deals for both the PAC and B1G.

The PAC is dead.
Because clown fan says so. Then again clown fans and “reality” have had a highly adversarial relationship for some time now. I mean just last year clown fans were chirping about how they were going to dominate Iowa on the field, in TV viewership, in ticket sales and in football recruiting. “Reality” set in and the clowns found themselves in a often familiar position of looking up at big bro Iowa for them all.

Go ahead and tell us how it really is though 515 clowns. Or tell us why we must ignore it all. That is always good for some laughs.

Let me get this straight - The new PAC-12 TV deal, a conference which includes Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona St (pretty much all of these programs have had more historical football success than anyone left in the Big 12) is getting completely low-balled with their new TV deal....and Iowa St fan is posting it here as some kind of "win" or "gloat" for the Big 12? Yeah, I'm sure ESPN is really going to fork it over big-time for a conference with Iowa St, Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU and 4 schools currently considered mid-majors.

I think we are seeing the new reality is that only the Big 2 are going to be paid handsomely. We're seeing a new three-tier system. B10 and SEC on Tier 1. ACC/B12/P12 on Tier 2. G5 is now tier 3.

Both the P12 and B12 are going to receive mediocre offers because they don't offer any marquee games. Nearly all their games are mid-level filler. They have value, but nothing to excite the networks.

The ACC may hang onto the #3 spot in annual payouts, in a contract we all thought was a bad deal up to this point.

Adding value and diluting are obviously different but I think a few PAC additions can be good.

The topic though is why are Big12 fans gloating over the ESPN offer to the remaining Pac-12 schools?

No way that is "good news" for Big12 fans ...as it means there simply isn't tremendous value for adding leftover Pac-12 schools. It will literally dilute the payouts to the other schools.

Example:

Let's say the B12 stays at 12 schools and their new TV deals gets them $30M per school.

If the media moguls view remaining Pac-12 schools worthy of only $24.5M per, then the math is obvious.

Big12 dding 2-4 of those remaining Pac-12 schools will bring the per school payout down, not up.

Reactions: Ree4 and MitchLL
The topic though is why are Big12 fans gloating over the ESPN offer to the remaining Pac-12 schools?

No way that is "good news" for Big12 fans ...as it means there simply isn't tremendous value for adding leftover Pac-12 schools. It will literally dilute the payouts to the other schools.

Example:

Let's say the B12 stays at 12 schools and their new TV deals gets them $30M per school.

If the media moguls view remaining Pac-12 schools worthy of only $24.5M per, then the math is obvious.

Big12 dding 2-4 of those remaining Pac-12 schools will bring the per school payout down, not up.
I don't believe Arizona, Az State, Colorado and Utah would add to any per team payout. I would suggest they would be a detriment at best. It seems like the ISU fan wants volume over quality. Just have more options, even if they really aren't more interesting. If we just have enough teams then the big guys will have to pay attention to us.

Reactions: MitchLL
Much of the chatter from ISU/Big12 fans seems to be wishful thinking. They cement themselves as Option 4 by the fall of the Pac12.

I guess that's their best case scenario?

Regardless, there will never be any future conference matchups that carry any national relevance.

Currently, is BYU vs Cincinnati the premiere game? If those four schools join...Utah vs BYU?

The Big12 would need an eight team CFP to get a team in. Otherwise, it's just SEC/B1G, ND, and someone from the current ACC.

And if I'm Oregon, I demand a larger revenue share to join the 2024 version of the new Big12.

Much of the chatter from ISU/Big12 fans seems to be wishful thinking. They cement themselves as Option 4 by the fall of the Pac12.

I guess that's their best case scenario?

Regardless, there will never be any future conference matchups that carry any national relevance.

Currently, is BYU vs Cincinnati the premiere game? If those four schools join...Utah vs BYU?

The Big12 would need an eight team CFP to get a team in. Otherwise, it's just SEC/B1G, ND, and someone from the current ACC.

And if I'm Oregon, I demand a larger revenue share to join the 2024 version of the new Big12.
I really think Oregon and Washington hold tight. There are two years until the current contract is done. They have some time and Nike man has some cash if needed. They can be patient for now.

Reactions: MitchLL
I really think Oregon and Washington hold tight. There are two years until the current contract is done. They have some time and Nike man has some cash if needed. They can be patient for now.
Can you imagine how those Pac12 conference meetings will evolve with no one trusting the other?

Especially with Oregon and Washington actively seeking new homes?

Can you imagine how those Pac12 conference meetings will evolve with no one trusting the other?

Especially with Oregon and Washington actively seeking new homes?
I am sure they are gonna want to code in escape clauses I would think? No one is gonna sign up for a 10 year deal at a set amount and be stuck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT