ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: ND is the ONLY school BIG would add

Sounds nice in theory, but the B1G and SEC will never go for it. And they shouldn't. Hate the SEC all you want, but the second place team in that conference is usually (almost always) better than the champ from the PAC 12 or ACC. The more deserving team should get in the CFP, not an arbitrary champ.
Agree. There won't even be a P3. Why would the B1G and SEC let another conference stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them when whatever form that other conference takes it won't even come close in terms of program quality or revenue.

The one wrinkle I could see is if ND goes all-in with the ACC, they're able to hang onto Clemson, Miami, Florida St., UNC, and they form some kind of merged conference with the leftovers from the PAC.

Notre Dame will NEVER join a conference as long as the rest of college football allows them to have their cake, and eat it too. Take 2020, the ACC allowed them to use them to get in a season. The ACC got nothing in return. So unless these leagues just decide that an independent can't make the playoffs, Notre Dame will maintain their independence.

Notre Dame has a large fan base, a great history. But to the younger generation they are just another big brand that has a history. It's really pathetic how everybody allows them to maintain their unicorn status. College football will roll on without Notre Dame. Let them play their game, maintain their arrogance. Move on, lock them out of ever making the CFP. Otherwise they are just the 70 year old former model who still believes they are still the covergirl.
This is correct. If ND ever joins a conference it will be because they are locked out of the playoffs if they don’t. Sadly, I don’t see this ever happening unless the Big 10 and SEC break from the NCAA.

Money doesn’t come into play either. According to folks I’ve read on Domer sites….they have plenty of money.

They ain’t coming to the Big 10, and I don’t want them anyway.

Sounds nice in theory, but the B1G and SEC will never go for it. And they shouldn't. Hate the SEC all you want, but the second place team in that conference is usually (almost always) better than the champ from the PAC 12 or ACC. The more deserving team should get in the CFP, not an arbitrary champ.
Yeah, I agree, but I guess I was thinking the playoffs will be expanded beyond 4.

BIG is not done. They will also be getting rid of divisions. So unless we get better very quick you can kiss big ten championship games good bye

Reactions: iasooner2000
Agree to disagree, I guess.

Last year Georgia was 12-0 going into the conference championship, which they lost to Bama. Only to go on to win the Natty. They were clearly one of the best four teams in the country last year and deserved to be in. You would have preferred 10-3 Utah getting in over Georgia?

I would say the subjective nature of college football is what differentiates itself from the NFL. In the NFL, teams get automatic playoffs spots for winning their conference. The 2010 Seahawks made the playoffs with a LOSING record. No one wants that.
I would prefer 10-3 Iowa gets in over Georgia.....and Bama. :D

Also, to your NFL point, just look at the NFC East the last few years. One of those teams got to host a playoff game.......

P.S. In retrospect, that 2010 Seahawks game (beast mode game) is sort of a bad example now given the epicness of their beat down on the defending champion Saints

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
who other than notre dame will increase all current conference members payouts rather than reducing them?

I still think Stanford may be a BIG bargaining chip to get the domers.
Stanford will not move the needle.

Agree. There won't even be a P3. Why would the B1G and SEC let another conference stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them when whatever form that other conference takes it won't even come close in terms of program quality or revenue.

The one wrinkle I could see is if ND goes all-in with the ACC, they're able to hang onto Clemson, Miami, Florida St., UNC, and they form some kind of merged conference with the leftovers from the PAC.
Bad decision as they are tied to their contract for another ten plus years. ND receives only 15 million a year from NBC if I remember correctly. Chump change by Big Ten and SEC per school payout.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The NCAA basketball tournament agrees.
The BB tourney crowns a tourney champ....frequently not even close to the best team in the country.

If people want that experience....ok. Not sure why I'm even giving an opinion. I haven't watched a CFB playoff or championship game in....ever. I care about that about the same as I care about royal weddings and such and for the same reason: it's an event that isn't really relevant to me since Iowa is not likely to ever be there. It's an exclusive party for the "rich".

Bad decision as they are tied to their contract for another ten plus years. ND receives only 15 million a year from NBC if I remember correctly. Chump change by Big Ten and SEC per school payout.
Agree, much of this might come down to just how chafed ND continues to be with the B1G over past slights.

The BB tourney crowns a tourney champ....frequently not even close to the best team in the country.

If people want that experience....ok. Not sure why I'm even giving an opinion. I haven't watched a CFB playoff or championship game in....ever. I care about that about the same as I care about royal weddings and such and for the same reason: it's an event that isn't really relevant to me since Iowa is not likely to ever be there. It's an exclusive party for the "rich".
So basically Iowa doesn't need to play football?...........

What matters is what the Big Ten thinks the landscape will look like in 3-4 years. Do they agree with the assessment that there would be 2 super conferences of about 24 teams. If the SEC and the Big Ten both agree with that assessment then you will see a lot more movement this Summer.

The way things were handled with USC and UCLA, shows us we really have no idea what the B10 is thinking. A week ago it may have been they were just adding those two. Now with possibly ten schools calling asking to be added, things may be different.

Link? If NBC is as amped up for a piece of the B1G's media rights in this new deal as reports have indicated, it would be idiotic for them to encourage ND to stay independent.

Sorry Im terrible at linking. But working on it. Based on a tweet I received today.

BIG is not done. They will also be getting rid of divisions. So unless we get better very quick you can kiss big ten championship games good bye
Sorry, BUT never say NEVER. Surely whats happened in the sports world the last decade should tell us that. Maybe Day doesn't stay at OSU but goes to the league. Maybe they fall back some, like Michigan did. Just maybe Iowa rises up and beats THE OSU like they did the last time they played. They still will have to play the games no matter what scenario they draw up.

Reports that NBC may triple the domers payout. Keeping them out of the big.
Boy I'd hate to be the guy (or woman) in charge of NBC if they do that and the Irish can't put together a decent schedule and are frozen out of the playoffs and become totally irrelevant. I think that would be a major mistake....

Reactions: dekhawk
I'm guessing there are more than just a few schools begging for entry into the B1G and offering to take reduced revenue shares for a couple years.

I know when Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebby entered that they received less for several years.

Pretty sure there will be some real big surprises when all is said and done.

That still doesn’t add up in ND’s favor. If NBC is paying them 15 mil now (per above poster) that would be 45 mil. With bowl payouts all theirs, what’s that about 50-55 mil for just football? I haven’t looked into what they receive for ACC basketball and non football sports, but I can’t imagine it’s all that note worthy.

ND in the B1G easily gets 100 mil along with each other school. Plus bowl revenue sharing. And I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know how the research dollars are distributed but from what I’ve read, the 100 mil is chump change in comparison.

Am I just not understanding the math or logic here? I have to be.

Last edited:
Link? If NBC is as amped up for a piece of the B1G's media rights in this new deal as reports have indicated, it would be idiotic for them to encourage ND to stay independent.
Exactly. If this keeps going the way it is, it would be a terrible decision of epic proportions by that network....

That still doesn’t add up in ND’s favor. If NBC is paying them 15 mil now (per above poster) that would be 45 mil. With bowl payouts all theirs, what’s that about 50-55 mil for just football? I haven’t looked into what they receive for ACC basketball and non football sports, but I can’t imagine it’s all that more worthy.

ND in the B1G easily gets 100 mil along with each other school. Plus bowl revenue sharing. And I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know how the research dollars are distributed but from what I’ve read, the 100 mil is chump change in comparison.

Am I just not understanding the math or logic here? I have to be.
No you have the math down, NBC has just lost their damn mind. If ND doesn't get some free pass to the playoff, there both screwed. And just who are they going to play, if the BIG and USC freeze them out.....

No you have the math down, NBC has just lost their damn mind. If ND doesn't get some free pass to the playoff, there both screwed. And just who are they going to play, if the BIG and USC freeze them out.....

And also stated above that the 3 fold increase won’t happen until the next contract in 10 years. So ND is basically giving up 85-95 mil for about 7-9 years.

Agree that almost half of their schedule is already B1G teams, which need to freeze them out. Let them try and go after SEC, which would be about two games a year at most and the rest of PAC12/BIG XII for the remaining non ACC games.

So stupid IMO and nothing I’d like to see more than ND and ISU sitting out in the cold while the big boys of the B1G and SEC run away with college football.

Part of me wants to see the geographical rivalries with ND that the B1G will offer. That and they are a name brand which would also be good for the B1G. They’re competitive in major sports too.

Last edited:
Looks like ND's arrogance might be more important than common sense.

Reactions: dadster and dekhawk
So what happens if some of the big games ND played no longer exist? NBC paying big money for ND vs ISU?

Just passing on what I saw. I have a good connection in college sports. What ever is going to happen next hinges on what the domers do.

Maybe the Domers could be relegated to the Missouri Valley Conference, along with Iowa State.

I don't think the NC is the only prize

curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.gif

If you triple their payout from NBC, that still is only 45 million. Plus I don't see NBC having that kind of money. Xfinity isn't going to pay for it.

ND has plenty of money. Sure, the TV deal is important to them, but it's not their priority. Access to the CFP is what matters the most.

ND will never join the SEC. Academics still matter to them.

The ACC and B1G are their two options, as is staying independent. With the expanded playoff, I don't see the SEC incentivizing ND to join the B1G or ACC. In other words, the SEC is going to advocate for a path that allows ND to qualify as an at-large. Obviously this would not be the ACC/B1G's preference, but I'm not sure they have any leverage.

TLDR - I think ND stays independent until a super conference with the B1G/SEC forms and creates their own playoff. At that point, ND will have no other option but to join the B1G.

ND has plenty of money. Sure, the TV deal is important to them, but it's not their priority. Access to the CFP is what matters the most.

ND will never join the SEC. Academics still matter to them.

The ACC and B1G are their two options, as is staying independent. With the expanded playoff, I don't see the SEC incentivizing ND to join the B1G or ACC. In other words, the SEC is going to advocate for a path that allows ND to qualify as an at-large. Obviously this would not be the ACC/B1G's preference, but I'm not sure they have any leverage.

TLDR - I think ND stays independent until a super conference with the B1G/SEC forms and creates their own playoff. At that point, ND will have no other option but to join the B1G.
If B1G and SEC really do go to 20 teams each, that could be what you're going to have, a playoff limited to those two conferences.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
If B1G and SEC really do go to 20 teams each, that could be what you're going to have, a playoff limited to those two conferences.
That's definitely where this is going.

If I'm Oregon or Washington, I think I'd be willing to agree to some concessions as a way to get my foot in the door with the B1G. For example, agreeing to a lesser payout from the TV deal. This could work on two different levels. First, a lesser payout from the B1G will still tens of millions more than what they are currently making or would make in the PAC/Big 12.0. Second, this could also keep the current member schools happy if it means their shares won't be reduced.

Oregon and Washington get a considerable pay raise, but at a lesser rate than their peers. They also get a seat at the table, which is paramount. The B1G expands it's footprint in some very important areas (Nike and Seattle). Not to mention helps with scheduling logistics for the LA schools. It also keeps the pressure on the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT