ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: ND is the ONLY school BIG would add

If Colorado rejoins the Big12 then expect Nebraska to leave the BIG10 for their beloved brethern in the Big12. The TV money will not be a bargin for the Huskers in the long run - they will bolt.

I don't see Nebby leaving the B1G for a watered-down B12 that is losing Texas and Oklahoma.
Big 12 could be in serious trouble. There's increasing smoke out there about a Pac-ACC partnership in the short term, which could effectively blunt any immediate moves the Big 12 wants to make. The ADs of the Pac and ACC are good friends and would probably work well together. It's pretty clear in this new world of college sports that geography doesn't have to matter. And I think programs like Oregon, Stanford, Cal, Washington would prefer aligning with programs like Clemson, UNC, Duke, Miami than those left in the Big 12.

If I were a Big 12 supporter I'd be hoping that ACC programs were allowed to wiggle out of the GoR so the SEC could take Clemson, Miami, FSU, etc., and the B1G could take UNC. I'd also be hoping that ND accepts its B1G invite, because that would then limit the number of Pac teams the B1G may come calling for to get to 18 or 20.

Reactions: dekhawk
If I were a Big 12 supporter I'd be hoping that ACC programs were allowed to wiggle out of the GoR so the SEC could take Clemson, Miami, FSU, etc., and the B1G could take UNC. I'd also be hoping that ND accepts its B1G invite, because that would then limit the number of Pac teams the B1G may come calling for to get to 18 or 20.

Big 12 fans need to hope that the PAC blows up, they can pick up 4-6 teams there, and then that destabilizes the ACC in the next 5 years or so and the Big 12 can pick up some eastern teams. A clear #3 conference but still #3.

I think the Big Ten wants to add ND next, but I don't believe it's the only team they will add. I think they'll add 1-3 more if and when they add ND.

I do think ND gets added, by the way. Everything I'm seeing from ND people (their beat writers and fan writers) seems like they think it happens this time and they seem to accept and/or embrace it. I guess making this a more national conference with USC and UCLA makes a big difference for them.

But, since the scenario you presented was adding ND only, I will say that if we do that, stopping at 17, there will be no divisions. If they stop at an odd number, it will be 2-3 protected rivals and then rotate playing the rest. (Honestly, I think that's likely even if we stop at 16, 18 or 20. But at 17, it's obvious, to me.)

That's definitely where this is going.

If I'm Oregon or Washington, I think I'd be willing to agree to some concessions as a way to get my foot in the door with the B1G. For example, agreeing to a lesser payout from the TV deal. This could work on two different levels. First, a lesser payout from the B1G will still tens of millions more than what they are currently making or would make in the PAC/Big 12.0. Second, this could also keep the current member schools happy if it means their shares won't be reduced.

Oregon and Washington get a considerable pay raise, but at a lesser rate than their peers. They also get a seat at the table, which is paramount. The B1G expands it's footprint in some very important areas (Nike and Seattle). Not to mention helps with scheduling logistics for the LA schools. It also keeps the pressure on the SEC.
I would hate to see the precedent of uneven payouts in the B1G. First, it sets the precedent for only getting what your "worth". Second, it was this type of disparity that killed the B12.

I would hate to see the precedent of uneven payouts in the B1G. First, it sets the precedent for only getting what your "worth". Second, it was this type of disparity that killed the B12.
Good points. I was just thinking from Oregon/Washington's perspective. A seat at the table is worth more than not getting a full share.

I know that's something many outside the B1G are hoping for, but I highly doubt you'll see anything like that in the B1G or SEC. New members already receive a reduced share for X number of years.

I'll assume you find MHver3 a reliable source.

It would make sense for NBC to save their "Golden Goose," however, NBC would need to immediately put that in writing b/c the new B1G deal will be completed within the next six weeks. I'm not doubting that this is true, but ND is working with real $$$ deals in writing with the B1G, not hypotheticals. ND may tell the B1G, "Thank you, but not right now." That's okay.

However, the B1G is still signing their TV deal without ND, and they'll add (or, not add) teams that are cost effective. The new B1G deal will probably be for about ten years, right? Nobody needs ND; they're a "nice to have, but not necessary" for the future.

Stay independent ND. Along with that, there should be no more games scheduled between them and Big Ten teams.

ND is unnecessary to any Big Ten teams schedule going forward.

I'll assume you find MHver3 a reliable source.

It would make sense for NBC to save their "Golden Goose," however, NBC would need to immediately put that in writing b/c the new B1G deal will be completed within the next six weeks. I'm not doubting that this is true, but ND is working with real $$$ deals in writing with the B1G, not hypotheticals. ND may tell the B1G, "Thank you, but not right now." That's okay.

However, the B1G is still signing their TV deal without ND, and they'll add (or, not add) teams that are cost effective. The new B1G deal will probably be for about ten years, right? Nobody needs ND; they're a "nice to have, but not necessary" for the future.

Just passing on what I see. I think the domers are too arrogant to join the big.

But how much is notre dame worth to NBC? We laugh at $45M but would nbc pay more to lock down an independent Irish? Maybe nbc doesn’t want to fork over the huge $$$ for the big and they significantly increase the Irish payout. Who is the media expert on here?

11183656.jpeg

What is the trend line on Notre Dame’s value as a conference member?
Im sure there’s a ton of value there, but what has it done over, say, the past 10-15 years. Feels like it isn’t what it once was. But I don’t study these things.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Im sure there’s a ton of value there, but what has it done over, say, the past 10-15 years. Feels like it isn’t what it once was. But I don’t study these things.

Yes, but like the Mormons and BYU, lots of Catholics will tune in for the Irish, winning or not.

I don't think B1G/Fox is sharing that info...but, I'd sure like to know it, too.

The Big 12 was the blind groundhog for the longest time. It appears that the fossilized frogs on the west coast, and the deaf pigeons on the east coast have taken their spot as kings of stupidity. Their solution to being stabbed in the back in a loose alliance is to form another loose alliance? The blind groundhog is looking to poach up to six programs from the Pac 12. The SEC is rumored to be looking to counter the B1G with taking four members from the ACC. Their hope is to land better television deals with a less desirable product.

Oh but wait, the ACC is going to save themselves because Notre Dame is gonna join a conference with their highest profile members looking to bolt. I'm sure Notre Dame wouldn't demand special privileges to join a desperate ACC. You can be sure Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC would just love to kiss that golden dome butt as they make less money because they love the ACC so much!

Oh but wait, the ACC is gonna pair Notre Dame up with..... West Virginia!!! I mean Oklahoma is a nice second to Texas. UCLA is a decent second to USC. But the ACC is not only gonna get Notre Dame, but also WEST VIRGINIA!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

What matters is what the Big Ten thinks the landscape will look like in 3-4 years. Do they agree with the assessment that there would be 2 super conferences of about 24 teams. If the SEC and the Big Ten both agree with that assessment then you will see a lot more movement this Summer.

The way things were handled with USC and UCLA, shows us we really have no idea what the B10 is thinking. A week ago it may have been they were just adding those two. Now with possibly ten schools calling asking to be added, things may be different.
FOX is thinking for the Big Ten as witnessed by USC and UCLA reaching out to the Big Ten and not the other way around.

big Ten should tell ND it’s now or never. Yeah they could go SEC later on but good luck with that. Terrible fit. Pope would not like that.

Except, its NOT a precedent. Correct me if I'm wrong here but The Terps and the Scarlet Knights did NOT get a full payout right away. I'm not sure if even now they have passed whatever threshold to getting a full share. Point being these additions may not be paid a full share for the first several years, and since its been done this way in all the conference realignments, the terms may be somewhat fluid....I see where your going here that a "pay what your worth" could be an issue for Iowa, but thats not what were talking about. As for the Texas Ten, thats not the same thing at all either. Texas was taking a bigger cut period, and that was ongoing not something where other schools were going to work their way up the pay ladder after a few years....

Except, its NOT a precedent. Correct me if I'm wrong here but The Terps and the Scarlet Knights did NOT get a full payout right away. I'm not sure if even now they have passed whatever threshold to getting a full share. Point being these additions may not be paid a full share for the first several years, and since its been done this way in all the conference realignments, the terms may be somewhat fluid....I see where your going here that a "pay what your worth" could be an issue for Iowa, but thats not what were talking about. As for the Texas Ten, thats not the same thing at all either. Texas was taking a bigger cut period, and that was ongoing not something where other schools were going to work their way up the pay ladder after a few years....
All the recent adds have started with a reduced payout. It's not in perpetuity though.

ND will join whatever conference they want to. That's the reality of the situation. The Big asked them to join the conference for hockey. Because they needed them. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Really sounds like all the talk has settled down and we could sit and wait for ND for a couple of years. Looking more like Oregon and Washington sit tight in PAC with remnants. USC and UCLA are there for next 2 seasons anyway. Maybe no more change for a while now.

ADVERTISEMENT