ADVERTISEMENT

Republican N.Y. governor candidate Lee Zeldin was attacked at an event but not injured

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
NEW YORK — U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin, the Republican candidate for New York governor, was assaulted by a man who apparently tried to stab him at an upstate event Thursday but the congressman escaped serious injury.

"I'm OK," Zeldin said in a statement. "Fortunately, I was able to grab his wrist and stop him for a few moments until others tackled him."

Zeldin's campaign said the attacker was taken into custody and the congressman continued his speech. He is challenging incumbent Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul this November.

The attacker climbed onto a low stage where the congressman spoke to a crowd of dozens outside Rochester, flanked by bales of hay and American flags. A video posted on Twitter shows the two falling to the ground as other people try to intervene.

Among those who helped to subdue the attacker was Zeldin's running mate, former New York Police Department Deputy Inspector Alison Esposito, said state GOP Chair Nick Langworthy.

David G. Jakubonis, 43, of Fairport NY, was charged with attempted assault in the second degree. After his arraignment in Perinton Town Court, he was released on his own recognizance.

Zeldin predicted the suspect would be released.

"His words as he tried to stab me a few hours ago were ‘you’re done’, but several attendees, including @EspositoforNY, quickly jumped into action & tackled the guy," Tweeted Zeldin, who added that "Law enforcement was on the scene within minutes. The attacker will likely be instantly released under NY’s laws."‘you’re done’, but several attendees, including @EspositoforNY, quickly jumped into action & tackled the guy," Tweeted Zeldin, who added that "Law enforcement was on the scene within minutes. The attacker will likely be instantly released under NY’s laws."

According to AMVETS national director Joe Chenelly, who tackled the assailant, "His right hand came up, I assume out of his pocket, and he had a blade on his hand," adding "His fingers were like two finger holes in the blade and lunged at the congressman. And Congressman Zeldin blocked the first lunge. And then as he tried to lunge again, I grabbed him from behind and tackled him down to the ground and held him on the ground."

Kind of amazing you can try to gut a politician on stage and if you fail just go sleep in your own bed that night….

• Wow
Reactions: The Tradition
Clearly this was wrong. Political violence is wrong. There are reports the attacker was a veteran who has suffered mental health issues.
The NY GOP wasted no time in twisting themselves into a knot trying to directly blame Hochul for the attack. Just astounding. These same people cannot bring themselves to condemn the raging narcissist who ordered a hit on Mike Pence and Congress.

NY Candidate and sitting congressperson giving a speech about the need for keeping criminals in jail.

Gets gets attacked by man wielding a double blade.

Man gets arrested and released within hours.

BAU

The campaign TV ads are going to write themselves, here.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Do you think the prosecutor or judge asked before releasing him?
Probably not.

Not relevant to being before a judge in this instance.

I am just asking because the Radical Right blames everything on mental illness.

Probably not.
Not relevant to being before a judge in this instance.

You don't think it is relevant to the continuing danger that nut presents to society?
If trying to reprise Brutus on a stage with a politician in front of a crowd doesn't trigger a 'red flag' law, what does?

The Red Flag Law, also known as the extreme risk protection order law, is effective in New York State as of August 24, 2019. The law prevents individuals who show signs of being a threat to themselves or others from purchasing or possessing any kind of firearm.

The Red Flag Law provides all necessary procedural safeguards to ensure that no firearm is removed without due process while ensuring that tragedies, like the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, and the racist mass shooting in Buffalo, are not repeated.

This law builds on New York's strongest in the nation gun laws and makes New York the first in the United States to empower its teachers, school administrators, and mental health professionals to prevent shootings by pursuing court intervention.

Governor Hochul has taken decisive action to strengthen New York's Red Flag law. On May 18, 2022, Governor Hochul signed an Executive Order to require State Police to file for an Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) whenever they have probable cause to believe that an individual is a threat to themselves or others.

I am just asking because the Radical Right blames everything on mental illness.

I'm sure lucas enjoys the attribution.

Clearly this was wrong. Political violence is wrong. There are reports the attacker was a veteran who has suffered mental health issues.

Reactions: Coach_Fry
Apparently neither is attempted murder on a congressperson, considering they released him immediately without bail.
And whose fault was that?

I'm not against locking up criminals and I don't know where you got the idea that I was.

In fact... if I had my way, every person incarcerated would serve their entire sentence.

David G. Jakubonis, 43, of Fairport NY, was charged with attempted assault in the second degree. After his arraignment in Perinton Town Court, he was released on his own recognizance.

Zeldin predicted the suspect would be released.

"His words as he tried to stab me a few hours ago were ‘you’re done’, but several attendees, including @EspositoforNY, quickly jumped into action & tackled the guy," Tweeted Zeldin, who added that "Law enforcement was on the scene within minutes. The attacker will likely be instantly released under NY’s laws."‘you’re done’, but several attendees, including @EspositoforNY, quickly jumped into action & tackled the guy," Tweeted Zeldin, who added that "Law enforcement was on the scene within minutes. The attacker will likely be instantly released under NY’s laws."

According to AMVETS national director Joe Chenelly, who tackled the assailant, "His right hand came up, I assume out of his pocket, and he had a blade on his hand," adding "His fingers were like two finger holes in the blade and lunged at the congressman. And Congressman Zeldin blocked the first lunge. And then as he tried to lunge again, I grabbed him from behind and tackled him down to the ground and held him on the ground."

Kind of amazing you can try to gut a politician on stage and if you fail just go sleep in your own bed that night….

why do you hate veterans?

Why put scare quotes on attack?

I would like to hear more about your conspiracy theory on this matter.
Do you have a newsletter?
Because every political event has security nearby and some random guy doesn't just waltz onstage.

This definitely looks like a planned deal.

Pretty sure attacking a member of Congress is a federal crime. Perhaps DOJ/FBI needs to take over and make sure everything is handled appropriately.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Violence of any kind is wrong and should be dealt with severely and swiftly with in the bounds of a law abiding society. However, if this is a staged event all those responsible should be dealt with just as severely and swiftly if not more severely.
Just by coincidence??? Zelden then proceeds to rant about things connected to this.

Yep...this was staged.

ADVERTISEMENT