ADVERTISEMENT

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement that he looks forward to seeing Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot welcome the migrants...

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007

Texas sends buses of migrants to Chicago for first time, dropped off at train station​

Chicago is the third Democrat-run city where Texas officials have sent migrants​

"President Biden's inaction at our southern border continues putting the lives of Texans—and Americans—at risk and is overwhelming our communities," Abbott said. "To continue providing much-needed relief to our small, overrun border towns, Chicago will join fellow sanctuary cities Washington, D.C. and New York City as an additional drop-off location. Mayor Lightfoot loves to tout the responsibility of her city to welcome all regardless of legal status, and I look forward to seeing this responsibility in action as these migrants receive resources from a sanctuary city with the capacity to serve them."

A statement from Abbott's office said that Chicago is being added as a "drop-off location" for future migrant buses in response to "President Biden's open border policies overwhelming border communities in Texas."

Full article:

I don’t really have a problem with this. It’s just playing the game as the pieces on the board are currently laid out.

That said, for the sake of immigrants and the sake of US citizens dealing with it I wish we’d fix the game. It would be better if we didn’t have “sanctuary cities” and overrun border cities. It’s a great political point to rouse your base with though so neither said has or will fix it. So, we’ll just see more of this political posturing.

I don’t really have a problem with this. It’s just playing the game as the pieces on the board are currently laid out.

That said, for the sake of immigrants and the sake of US citizens dealing with it I wish we’d fix the game. It would be better if we didn’t have “sanctuary cities” and overrun border cities. It’s a great political point to rouse your base with though so neither said has or will fix it. So, we’ll just see more of this political posturing.
This. Secure the border, fix the immigration process so people don't wait years. Argue about the details of who and how many from there.

Reactions: hexumhawk
"Who can be the biggest asshole", so far, hasn't panned out well for Republicans this election cycle. But it's good to see them doubling down on the strategy.

That said, at least those migrants won't have to worry about their electricity.

This. Secure the border, fix the immigration process so people don't wait years. Argue about the details of who and how many from there.
If only the immigration bill that was basically a formality vote away from landing on Trump's desk would have been passed before Trump decided to blow the whole deal up.

And while there is a healthy dose of sarcasm in that post, I am sorry the bill didn't pass. Anything would be better than what we have now. Congress needs to do something. You can't just have a new President throw a bunch of executive orders together every 4 years and call it an immigration policy. We need a consistent policy and that can only be accomplished through actual legislation.

If we really want to fix this, we need to either eliminate or neuter the Tea Party and Freedom caucuses. They have no interest in compromising on reaching some sort of deal on this matter and that is the major stumbling block. Their all-or-nothing stance has already killed one major bipartisan bill that came out of the Senate in 2013.

Of course, this has become a major rallying cry for their base so maybe it's in their best self interest to not resolve it, at least in an election year. Seeing what the overturning of Roe this year seems to have done for them politically, it may benefit them politically for years to come to not resolve the border problem.

And while there is a healthy dose of sarcasm in that post, I am sorry the bill didn't pass. Anything would be better than what we have now. Congress needs to do something. You can't just have a new President throw a bunch of executive orders together every 4 years and call it an immigration policy. We need a consistent policy and that can only be accomplished through actual legislation.

This x a million.

If we really want to fix this, we need to either eliminate or neuter the Tea Party and Freedom caucuses. They have no interest in compromising on reaching some sort of deal on this matter and that is the major stumbling block. Their all-or-nothing stance has already killed one major bipartisan bill that came out of the Senate in 2013.

Of course, this has become a major rallying cry for their base so maybe it's in their best self interest to not resolve it, at least in an election year. Seeing what the overturning of Roe this year seems to have done for them politically, it may benefit them politically for years to come to not resolve the border problem.
Disagree. I think both of those groups would be completely in favor of the two key first steps:
1. Secure the border to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
2. Fix the process so those who want to come in don't take years to be approved.

The arguing then begins about how many is too many and what should qualifications be for approval, but if those first 2 things happen, we're in a vastly better position as a nation, and both of those groups recognize that.

Reactions: h-hawk
This is one of those few BOTH PARTY issues for me. Stop blaming each other. Get together and figure out how to fix this. It's been a problem to varying degrees my entire life. Stop bitching about it politicians and fix the freaking problem.

What a dumbshit asshole he is.

It's the tone and what you know is behind it (political posturing) that pisses me off.

I guarantee those border regions are just getting overrun. I also guarantee that the non-border towns claiming to be sanctuary cities could help.

If the people we elect and represent us would act like adults and actually came out and say "Look, because our immigration policies are a mess - we've got entire regions of the state that simply can't handle the influx of people. Other cities in the US have said they are capable of helping, so we're coordinating with them to deal with this in a safe, humanitarian, and as responsible way until we find a legislative solution." - what a day that would be.

Nope. Instead, we've got 2nd graders in charge lobbing veiled whiney ass points back and forth. For some reason, we love it in America though.

This is one of those few BOTH PARTY issues for me. Stop blaming each other. Get together and figure out how to fix this. It's been a problem to varying degrees my entire life. Stop bitching about it politicians and fix the freaking problem.

Completely agree. This is a both sides suck situation and there's history to prove it. Nobody - regardless of who has been in charge - has fixed this problem.

Somebody has to stand up and fix it and it has to be middle ground. It can't be the farthest bleeding heart liberals who are out of touch with reality - we simply cant' save everybody. It can't be the farthest cold hearted repubber that's only looking at numbers, yelling AMERICA FIRST and the mentality that often comes with that.

It's somewhere in the middle. Which is why we'll probably never get there and probably why no one really wants to fix it. It's one of those lightning rod issues both sides can campaign on, raise money on, etc.

Abbott has to stunts like this to separate himself from the other 2024 presidential contenders. You have to be more cruel than the other guy to appeal to the base.
Stunts like this also help move eyes away from his disastrous leadership. He can't keep the lights on in Texas. He cannot keep kids in schools safe from mass shooters. He cannot keep Wal-Mart shoppers in El Paso safe from white supremacist mass shooters. He cannot keep church goers safe from mass shooters. The Dobbs decision went over poorly. And, the cult leader is in trouble.
CARAVANS!!!!!

Unlike Texas with all of its faux bravado, Chicago will welcome these immigrants and integrate them into its city like it has in the past.

Then why did Lightfoot's spokesperson call it "without any shame or humanity" and "racist practices"?

When you see human beings as being less than human, it allows you to do things like this.
Exactly.

Everyone knows the proper way to transport illegal immigrants is via airplane. Bus? Treat these folks with dignity and they’ll give you a good yelp review.

Yes they are. They are sending the illegal immigrants to cities that have said they will welcome them and be safe. The only differences between Abbott and the Feds are transparency and mode of transport.
Lol using them as pawns. Period

Abbott has to stunts like this to separate himself from the other 2024 presidential contenders. You have to be more cruel than the other guy to appeal to the base.
I know Chicago is cold in the winter, but is it actually cruel?
Does he give them Cubs hats too, or something?

Reactions: hexumhawk
Do things like what? Send them to places that have said they are welcome with open arms? A place that might benefit both sides? Oh, the horror.
Use them as pawns in your political game. These are people. They aren't boxes that can just be sent wherever. He could have just as easily sent the busses south but that wouldn't allow for the grandstanding that he truly desires.

Use them as pawns in your political game. These are people. They aren't boxes that can just be sent wherever. He could have just as easily sent the busses south but that wouldn't allow for the grandstanding that he truly desires.

Oh, right. Republicans are the only ones that use these people as political pawns. Gtfo with that shit.

Reactions: INXS83 and rolfey
Yes they are. They are sending the illegal immigrants to cities that have said they will welcome them and be safe. The only differences between Abbott and the Feds are transparency and mode of transport.
Do the Feds just dump people off at the bus station?
Genuine question, I really don’t know.

ADVERTISEMENT