ADVERTISEMENT

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement that he looks forward to seeing Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot welcome the migrants...

Personally, I don't see these buses as stunts,.. More like a visible demonstration of reality for areas of the country that think this is just happening "down there".
It's a stunt. End of story. If it wasn't a stunt he wouldn't be making a public display. In all honesty, he has a lot of issues he's failed on that he should be focusing his time on vs stunts like this.

But, the system is broken and has been for a long-time. I'll blame both parties even though I think Rs have played a larger role in the issue getting to this point. That said, Ds are part of the problem. Funny thing is... I don't think either side cares to resolve it. It's like abortion... it's something they both argue about and use in speeches but do not really want to tackle.

So what are the republican proposals put forth by Congress to reform immigration?
Donald wanted to steal money from Hurricane Michael relief for Tyndall AFB for his wall.

It's the same exact logic you're employing.

Person A: "Thanks Person B"

Finance85 logic: Therefore Person B must have wanted whatever Person A has done.

Person A could be migrants illegally crossing into the US or a pedophile molesting a child. Person B could be Joe Biden or Finance85.

Clearly I was wrong. Old and stupid. Maybe years ago, you weren't, we'll never know.
No it isn't. But I'm not going to convince you. You just keep being you.

What's your solution @RileyHawk
If we really want to put a clamp on illegal immigration we have to go after the employers. Huge fines and penalties. Of course that will cause supply chain issues and result in higher prices very likely, but that's one of the costs we will have to bear.

Another would be to rewrite immigration policies to streamline the process for legal immigration and fund it so we can provide reasonable accommodation for those who are in the waiting stages. Lots more funding for buildings and workers.

Another would be to use technology to find illegals coming across the border and those who have successfully "made it". That goes in line with finding employers of illegals.

Most importantly would be to figure out ways to make the areas the immigrants are coming from safer and with some opportunity to earn enough to live. This is a real tough one but I think it makes sense to try to avoid illegals trying to get into the country rather than hunting for them as they make passage.

The trouble with all of this is that we must in vest money and resources to make it happen. It has to be a priority and while we hear lots of complaints about illegal immigration, few are willing to pay to have it fixed or improved.

Your turn.

No it isn't. But I'm not going to convince you. You just keep being you.

It's literally what you posted:

You: Joe Biden wants the illegal migrants here
Me: Why do you believe that?
You: Because the migrants say "Thanks Joe Biden" when they get here

Joe Biden believes something (Person B) because illegal immigrants (Person A) thanks him. That's your braindead logic.

My God, If I age like you do, I hope someone just pulls the plug on me.

If we really want to put a clamp on illegal immigration we have to go after the employers. Huge fines and penalties. Of course that will cause supply chain issues and result in higher prices very likely, but that's one of the costs we will have to bear.

Another would be to rewrite immigration policies to streamline the process for legal immigration and fund it so we can provide reasonable accommodation for those who are in the waiting stages. Lots more funding for buildings and workers.

Another would be to use technology to find illegals coming across the border and those who have successfully "made it". That goes in line with finding employers of illegals.

Most importantly would be to figure out ways to make the areas the immigrants are coming from safer and with some opportunity to earn enough to live. This is a real tough one but I think it makes sense to try to avoid illegals trying to get into the country rather than hunting for them as they make passage.

The trouble with all of this is that we must in vest money and resources to make it happen. It has to be a priority and while we hear lots of complaints about illegal immigration, few are willing to pay to have it fixed or improved.

Your turn.

I'm a little confused why you just laughed at RNHawk's ideas. A lot of them, maybe not worded as you did, were basically the same.

Me? I think we need to finish the wall where walls make sense. We need more border agents and the technology they need to help identify and track now those attempting to cross illegally.

We need MANY more judges and administrative resources to help process the asylum seekers claims so there isn't a backlog. This also is true for the immigrants coming through the legal way.

I agree we need better housing along the border for those crossing illegally to stay while waiting for their hearing, which wouldn't take anywhere near as long if we devoted the resources needed to process the numbers of people crossing illegally.

As for what to do with those already here? I agree with RNHawk, that if they have no record, aside from crossing illegally, they should be allowed to stay, work, and pay taxes. Not sure a misdemeanor should be enough to send them back. I guess it depends on if there was violence involved. Although the amount of effort and money to undertake an operation like this is probably no doable.

There is far more that we can and should do beyond what I said, but I don't have all the answers.

As far as getting to the root of why they're leaving their countries to come here? You're right, this is a tough one. It's been proven over and over that money, in the form of assistance, sent to these South and Central American countries is not making it to where it was intended. The corruption is so rampant that the wealthy down there just keep getting wealthier while the poor stay poor. A lot like the Untied States.

I'm a little confused why you just laughed at RNHawk's ideas. A lot of them, maybe not worded as you did, were basically the same.

Me? I think we need to finish the wall where walls make sense. We need more border agents and the technology they need to help identify and track now those attempting to cross illegally.

We need MANY more judges and administrative resources to help process the asylum seekers claims so there isn't a backlog. This also is true for the immigrants coming through the legal way.

I agree we need better housing along the border for those crossing illegally to stay while waiting for their hearing, which wouldn't take anywhere near as long if we devoted the resources needed to process the numbers of people crossing illegally.

As for what to do with those already here? I agree with RNHawk, that if they have no record, aside from crossing illegally, they should be allowed to stay, work, and pay taxes. Not sure a misdemeanor should be enough to send them back. I guess it depends on if there was violence involved. Although the amount of effort and money to undertake an operation like this is probably no doable.

There is far more that we can and should do beyond what I said, but I don't have all the answers.

As far as getting to the root of why they're leaving their countries to come here? You're right, this is a tough one. It's been proven over and over that money, in the form of assistance, sent to these South and Central American countries is not making it to where it was intended. The corruption is so rampant that the wealthy down there just keep getting wealthier while the poor stay poor. A lot like the Untied States.
I laugh because of 1,3,5,6 and 7. Particularly 6. And $5000 for an employer.

These things won't happen because people in power don't really want to tackle the issue.

I don't think we should do anything before beheading a farmer or concrete contractor using illegal labor on CSPAN. It's small business owners who are hiring these folks.
Are major hotel chains small business? Are restaurant chains small businesses? Who are farmers and small and large businesses supposed to hire?

I laugh because of 1,3,5,6 and 7. Particularly 6. And $5000 for an employer.

These things won't happen because people in power don't really want to tackle the issue.

None of what we mentioned will happen for the same reason. Unless that's what you meant. And it's people on both sides that drag their feet. Each side has their wants, but few on each side are willing to give in on the other side's wants.

None of what we mentioned will happen for the same reason. Unless that's what you meant. And it's people on both sides that drag their feet. Each side has their wants, but few on each side are willing to give in on the other side's wants.
I agree that none of it is likely to happen. The Democrats are OK with more immigration than the republicans and wants there to be more funding to provide humanitarian and streamlined processes. The republicans say they want to shut off most immigration but they really don't because of the impact it would have on their businesses and the messaging they employ.

I am still curious if someone can articulate the republican policy measures for immigration reform.

Yes they are. They are sending the illegal immigrants to cities that have said they will welcome them and be safe. The only differences between Abbott and the Feds are transparency and mode of transport.
So the state of Texas is trafficking illegals, this is a new development.

Reactions: SB_SB
I am still curious if someone can articulate the republican policy measures for immigration reform.

Best summed up as controlled immigration,.. We need to have complete control of the border, travel visa, amnesty application and visiting work permit processes,. We need to have the ability to determine and control the qualifications for immigration acceptance,.. We need the ability to selectively remove individuals that have been deemed unfit for the immigration process,.. Any and all rules necessary to support these positions would apply.

Last edited:
Best summed up as controlled immigration,.. We need to have complete control of the border, travel visa, amnesty application and visiting work permit processes,. We need to have the ability to determine and control the qualifications for immigration,.. We need the ability to selectively remove individuals have been deemed unfit for the immigration process,.. Any and all rules necessary to support these positions would apply.
That doesn't say anything but the obvious. What are the measures to be put in place to make these things happen?

If it's obvious then we're in agreement,.. My final sentence, fill in the blanks.
Lol - so we're still waiting for the republican policy measures to fix immigration. So far we continue to have vague references but nothing of substance. Par for the course.

Reactions: BioHawk
Disagree. I think both of those groups would be completely in favor of the two key first steps:
1. Secure the border to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
2. Fix the process so those who want to come in don't take years to be approved.

The arguing then begins about how many is too many and what should qualifications be for approval, but if those first 2 things happen, we're in a vastly better position as a nation, and both of those groups recognize that.
Cut the 87,000 IRS agents in half and hire new judges to work in the immigration system. Close the border and add more border agents and cops to deal with the fentanyl/drug issues.

Nothing needs to be proposed on anyone's platform. They just need to enforce the laws on the books.
So it's working how it should work now? OK. Didn't seem like it from all the rhetoric but if you say so.

Deporting over and over is like using a bucket to bail water out of a sinking boat. It solves nothing… boat is still sinking. Efforts need to be made in Central American countries, improved border security and surveillance, additional facilities at border locations for detention and hearings, green card/citizenship opportunities, fines for businesses who employ illegals, etc. Both sides need to give and take to make this work and we all know neither have a real interest in solving the issue because it’s what they use as a wedge to seek office or re-election.

It get what you’re saying and I agree, but the laws on the books are being skirted.
If that's the case, what needs to be done to prevent them from being skirted? Or to be more effective?

This illustrates perfectly my point - republicans complain the most about immigration but offer no solutions beyond "build a wall" or "enforce the laws". Like most things, when pressed for their policy platform we get crickets.

If that's the case, what needs to be done to prevent them from being skirted? Or to be more effective?

This illustrates perfectly my point - republicans complain the most about immigration but offer no solutions beyond "build a wall" or "enforce the laws". Like most things, when pressed for their policy platform we get crickets.
Tell me why the laws on the books are being skirted.

Tell me why the laws on the books are being skirted.
I don't know. That has nothing to do with the point. If the republicans think there is a massive problem then they should be offering solutions. They have the ability and responsibility to investigate and create policy options to make America better. But all we get is lip service.

Oh, and ask a Republican. I’m an independent like you

ADVERTISEMENT