cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Opinion by
Jennifer Rubin
Columnist
July 8, 2020 at 6:45 a.m. CDT
Add to list

Texas, the most populous red state, is failing in its battle against the novel coronavirus, and Texans know it. CNN reports: “Texas crossed the 200,000-case threshold on Monday — just 17 days after it had reached 100,000 cases. The state reported 5,318 cases Monday, with public health officials there warning of significant increases in the coming days, and has seen 205,642 total.”

Public opinion in Texas has turned negative when it comes to federal and state handling of the pandemic. The Texas Tribune reports: “In the latest survey, 46% of voters say efforts to deal with the coronavirus in the U.S. are going well — down from 56% in April. Asked about the efforts in Texas, 47% say things are going well — down from 66% in April.” Texans’ timetable has shifted dramatically: “While 21% think that we’re already at the point where things can return to normal or will be in the next few weeks, 30% thought that was the case in April. Then, 41% thought things would be back to normal within the next few months; that’s fallen to 22%. Now, most think it will be back to normal in the next year (29%) or in a year or more (26%).”

Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic

Trump can holler at states to reopen schools, but 65 percent of Texans — not some wacky fringe of the left — say it is not safe to send children back now. Nearly two-thirds of Texans say they leave home only when they “absolutely have to,” while 81 percent say they wear masks outside when in contact with others.

AD
ADVERTISING
It should not escape notice that Trump’s utterances and conduct are badly out of sync with the most important Republican state. But so are Senate Republicans, including Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who is on the ballot in the fall. Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have inveighed against “bailouts” for states on the grounds they are irresponsible and Democratic-controlled. That may come as a shock to Texans who face a massive budget crisis.

The Post reports that Texas experienced a $650 million drop in tax revenue last month and now faces surging costs as coronavirus cases spike, the inevitable result of a decision to reopen early and eschew until last week a statewide mask mandate. The Post explains: “Tax collections in Texas in the meantime are down by roughly $5.7 billion over the past four months of the pandemic. … The state’s most lucrative revenue stream, sales taxes, plummeted more than $200 million between mid-May and mid-June, falling roughly 6.5 percent compared with collections in June 2019, state budget officials said.” One can only imagine how sales tax receipts will look going forward given the measures to return to shutdown.

Well, surely Texas lawmakers in Congress will step up, right? Nope. They seem to be living in some other Lone Star State:

AD
“What I hear back home is that our states and cities don’t need more money, they need the flexibility to be able to spend it where they need it,” Rep. Kevin Brady (Tex.), the top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee, said at a news conference last week.
Lauren Aronson, a spokeswoman for Sen. Ted Cruz, signaled the Texas Republican is also skeptical of additional local aid. “Sen. Cruz believes the focus now should be on long-term recovery, not short term relief, and that after sending nearly $3 trillion to our cities, states, job creators, and hardworking families, Congress should stop spending money it doesn’t have,” she said in a statement.
Maybe they need to get outside the Beltway more. Back home, costs continue to rise and unemployment is soaring. (“High unemployment in the Lone Star State triggered a local law last week that provides additional weeks of jobless benefits to out-of-work residents. Among the newly laid off are roughly 50,000 city and state government workers, according to federal indicators from May.”) And it will get worse as Texas has been forced to shut down again.

Subtitle Settings

Republicans should decide if they want to keep following Trump’s nothing-to-see-here stance or start following expert medical advice and helping their constituents. It is not just blue America that is hurting — and voters in these red states might wind up holding Republicans accountable for their willful blindness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/08/republicans-ready-snub-texas/

Texas GOP convention is in Houston. The speakers are attending virtually, but still allowing the attendees to be in-person. Don’t know if collecting a bunch of GOP and Trump swag is with catching the Rona

Reactions: cigaretteman
Republicans are playing it smart in Texas. Let the Angel of Death wreak havoc for a couple of months. Things get better in October and Texans breathe easy and vote Republican.

Just need a couple of good weeks. If it doesn't happen naturally, just fudge the numbers for a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, think of all the expensive old folks and freeloading, D-voting poor folks you've gotten rid of.

Gosh the more the Republicans bungle this the more it puts Texas in play for the Democrats.

I mean I'm kind of afraid seeing Texas go blue will make me laugh so hard I fall down and hurt myself. But I so so SO want to see Texas go blue. Partially for my own giddy desires to gloat about Trump's complete and utter defeat. But also because a blue Texas would serve as a symbol of the completely repudiation by the country of Trump and his cronies. Something that would hopefully teach Republicans not to go down that road again.

O look another CNN opinion piece for you guys to jerk off to. Make sure you are using lots of lube, don't want you guys getting a blister.

The GOP is conflicted. The response has been atrocious and is making them look like idiots buuuut....

...C-19 is far deadlier for minorities so....

I kid...I kid...maybe.

Wapo quoting CNN*.

Thats gotta be like going left handed for you guys. Good job.
Oh you mean the esteemed publication that exposed the last criminally corrupt Republican president to such an extent he was forced to resign and live the rest of his life as a political pariah?

Yeah, I’ll take it. Pretty good editorial!

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT