ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans are readying lawsuits to block Biden’s student debt plan

How did Republicans force college students to pay thousands of dollars at 7-8 % interest over 20-30 years?
Reading isn't your strong suit. Understanding the discussion in this thread isn't your strong suit. You MAGAs are something else.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Reading isn't your strong suit. Understanding the discussion in this thread isn't your strong suit. You MAGAs are something else.
What am I missing Tom? This what you said right:

Republicans - let's save billionaires millions and millions of dollars. Also Republicans - let's force college kids, and new workers, to pay tens of thousands of dollars at 7-8% interest for 20-30 years.

So explain how reading and understanding is not my strong suit?

What am I missing Tom? This what you said right:

Republicans - let's save billionaires millions and millions of dollars. Also Republicans - let's force college kids, and new workers, to pay tens of thousands of dollars at 7-8% interest for 20-30 years.

So explain how reading and understanding is not my strong suit?
Lol. Read it again. Then read your first response to me. Maybe you'll figure it out. 75% chance you won't.

No,.. the current budget has no funding for paying off the remaining principle on the loans in question...
True, but this is a separate issue unrelated to bins purse strings argument. He asked how Biden can do this without Congress. The answer is because this the money has already been approved of and spent in all the budgets today, yesterday, even 10 or 20 years ago. Biden is simply foregiving these debts.

We will have to pay on this foregiven. Maybe through tax increases, or future spending cuts, or simply adding to the debt. But my point is that Congressional approval is irrelevant because the money has already been spent.

The military money was allocated by congress…Trump diverted it. I think it was wrong and so did you.

You say Biden did the same thing. He didn’t. The $600B he’s using was not allocated by congress. Federal loans…to be paid back…were. Pretty big difference.
It doesn't need to be allocated under the Heroes Act which gives the authority to foregive loans under emergencies. Further Congressional approval is not required.

There isn’t an emergency. That’s a crock of BS.
Covid was declared a national emergency. Biden could also write a new EO under the Higher Education Act which gives even broader authority to foregive loans if HEROES emergency requirement is considered too strained.

Rs also have the problem of standing. Who can sue? Even Cruz acknowledges this as being a major hurdle.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Rs also have the problem of standing. Who can sue? Even Cruz acknowledges this as being a major hurdle.
I agree this is the major hurdle.

I’m surprised you support the executive branch exploiting “emergencies” and being extremely liberal…to put it mildly…with the term.

Nothing with Covid justifies bypassing congress to spend $600B to forgive student loans at this time. That’s simply bullshit.

I agree this is the major hurdle.

I’m surprised you support the executive branch exploiting “emergencies” and being extremely liberal…to put it mildly…with the term.

Nothing with Covid justifies bypassing congress to spend $600B to forgive student loans at this time. That’s simply bullshit.
I support it because I support loan foregiveness. I would prefer Congress handle this, but it's clear that won't happen, so EO is the next best thing.

I support it because I support loan foregiveness. I would prefer Congress handle this, but it's clear that won't happen, so EO is the next best thing.
We don’t complain when a R president uses the same gambit for shit you don’t agree with.

This stuff is supposed to go through congress for a pretty good reason.

We don’t complain when a R president uses the same gambit for shit you don’t agree with.

This stuff is supposed to go through congress for a pretty good reason.
It did go through Congress. First in 1965 and again in 2003. Both said that student loans could be foregiven.

It did go through Congress. First in 1965 and again in 2003. Both said that student loans could be foregiven.
In an emergency. We’re not in a emergency. That’s an blatant abuse of the intent of the Heroes act.

But you got what you want…all good.

Reactions: Finance85
Republican strategists this year are idiots. We're going to pretty easily take over the Senate if we just stay quiet. I know, let's get abortion outlawed.

Oops, tons of angry women come to the polls in droves.

I know, let's also try to stop Democrats from helping poor people.

I don't see how this is a winning strategy at anything other than primary elections?

Lol. Read it again. Then read your first response to me. Maybe you'll figure it out. 75% chance you won't.
Well since Tom won’t help out anybody else care to explain what I am missing

Republican strategists this year are idiots. We're going to pretty easily take over the Senate if we just stay quiet. I know, let's get abortion outlawed.

Oops, tons of angry women come to the polls in droves.

I know, let's also try to stop Democrats from helping poor people.

I don't see how this is a winning strategy at anything other than primary elections?
But clearing student debt loan doesn’t help poor people. You just made that up.

ADVERTISEMENT