ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans call it an 'army' but IRS hires will replace retirees, do IT, says Treasury

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
WASHINGTON, Aug 19 (Reuters) - New U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) hires over the next decade will mainly replace retiring Baby Boomers, answer taxpayer questions and program new computers, U.S. Treasury officials and tax experts said, responding to Republican claims that the IRS will recruit 87,000 new agents to harass Americans on their taxes.

The Republican attack ads and social media messages follow a decade of Republican-passed budget cuts in Congress for the IRS, leaving it with 16,000 fewer employees in 2021 than it had in 2010. The agency is responsible for collecting the bulk of nearly $5 trillion in annual U.S. revenues.

Days after President Joe Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act that includes $80 billion in new IRS funding over 10 years, Republicans including Florida Governor Ron DeSantis have continued criticizing that funding on social media.

"I think it was basically a middle finger to the American public that this is what they think of you," DeSantis told a news conference on Wednesday. "All the problems we have to deal with and they think the way is to do 87,000 IRS agents."

What the hell is an AK-15??
You are such a dumb ****.

“Are they going to have a strike force that goes in with AK-15s (sic) already loaded ready to shoot some small business person in Iowa with these? Because I think they are going after middle class and small business people because basically they think anyone that has pass-through income is a crook and they aren’t paying their fair share and we’re going to go after them,” Grassley said in the interview.

WASHINGTON, Aug 19 (Reuters) - New U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) hires over the next decade will mainly replace retiring Baby Boomers, answer taxpayer questions and program new computers, U.S. Treasury officials and tax experts said, responding to Republican claims that the IRS will recruit 87,000 new agents to harass Americans on their taxes.

The Republican attack ads and social media messages follow a decade of Republican-passed budget cuts in Congress for the IRS, leaving it with 16,000 fewer employees in 2021 than it had in 2010. The agency is responsible for collecting the bulk of nearly $5 trillion in annual U.S. revenues.

Days after President Joe Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act that includes $80 billion in new IRS funding over 10 years, Republicans including Florida Governor Ron DeSantis have continued criticizing that funding on social media.

"I think it was basically a middle finger to the American public that this is what they think of you," DeSantis told a news conference on Wednesday. "All the problems we have to deal with and they think the way is to do 87,000 IRS agents."

As soon as Ted Cruz and MTG went off about the IRS hires, I knew it was a positive thing. Those two are on the corrupt side of pretty much every issue.

I read the bill. The $45B allocated for new agents isn't for replacing retirees. The total number of new agents is probably being exaggerated, but it's definitely going to be a lot.

So how did you determine it was for new agents? What part of the bill?

Edit: This?

(ii) Enforcement.--For necessary expenses for tax
enforcement activities of the Internal Revenue Service to
determine and collect owed taxes, to provide legal and
litigation support, to conduct criminal investigations
(including investigative technology), to provide digital
asset monitoring and compliance activities, to enforce
criminal statutes related to violations of internal revenue
laws and other financial crimes, to purchase and hire
passenger motor vehicles (31 U.S.C. 1343(b)), and to
provide other services as authorized by 5 U.S.C. 3109, at
such rates as may be determined by the Commissioner,
$45,637,400,000, to remain available until September 30,
2031: Provided, That these amounts shall be in addition to
amounts otherwise available for such purposes.

Looks like the right wingers are getting a little nervous about cheating on their taxes, what with all of these new hires to assist in auditing tax returns. I guess I don't see the problem, unless of course they're used to cheating. I wonder where they learned how to do that. They ought to be thanking the donald tax cheater trump.

You are such a dumb ****.

“Are they going to have a strike force that goes in with AK-15s (sic) already loaded ready to shoot some small business person in Iowa with these? Because I think they are going after middle class and small business people because basically they think anyone that has pass-through income is a crook and they aren’t paying their fair share and we’re going to go after them,” Grassley said in the interview.

Why did you call me a "dumb ****"?

Never allow the truth to get in the way of fear mongering and whipping up distrust of the government they serve in.

Wonder how many people would benefit from having the IRS send exactly what you owe or are owed.

They already do this if you don't file. But probably not a good idea because they don't know know a lot of the stuff you are suppose to claim as income so it's not accurate

You really think it takes an act of Congress to fill a job that is vacant by retirement? JFC - you guys believe anything

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The Radical Right wants to make this an issue because they tie this into the talking point that the Dems will raise taxes. Even though Joe Manchin specifically explained on Fox Opinion Network that Mericans earning <$400k will not pay more.

It's another example of fear mongering that the cons are so prolific at.

If you don't cheat on your taxes, you have nothing to worry about.

Ummm….they already had the money to hire replacements. The funds are already allocated to the manning position….not the person.

Last edited:
You really think it takes an act of Congress to fill a job that is vacant by retirement? JFC - you guys believe anything
WTF? It takes Congress to appropriate the funding to replace retirees and every other hire. JFC.

WTF? It takes Congress to appropriate the funding to replace retirees and every other hire. JFC.
That’s not true…they’re funding positions. You don’t need special funding additions to hire replacements. You need new funding for additional positions

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT