ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans could file challenges if Biden replaced, Speaker Johnson says

RicoSuave102954

HB All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
House Speaker Mike Johnson reiterated Sunday that any attempt by Democrats to sub in a new candidate in place of President Joe Biden is likely to be met by legal challenges.

Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Johnson said, "Every state has its own system, and in some of these, it's not possible to simply just switch out a candidate."

Johnson's assertion, which echoed remarks he made during the Republican National Convention, suggests a strategy Republicans could be looking toward should Biden decides to withdraw from the presidential election. "I think in states where it can be contested, I expect that it will be, and they'll have an interesting battle on their hands,” the Louisiana Republican said Thursday of a possible switch.

Johnson said there might be grounds for a challenge, given that Biden was the overwhelming winner of the party's primaries. "I think they would run into some legal impediments in at least a few of these jurisdictions," he told host Martha Raddatz. "We'll see how it plays out."

Vice President Kamala Harris is a possible replacement on the ticket for Biden should he withdraw from the race. Johnson on Sunday declined to assail Trump for referring to her as "laughing Kamla" and "crazy" in a speech Saturday, the kind of personal attacks Johnson has said do not belong in the election process.

"I articulate things in a certain way and Donald Trump does as well," Johnson said, "but his grievances, as you said, are because he has been the subject of so many attacks."

When pressed on the matter, Johnson said Democrats are doing the same thing.

"We could run the tape of terrible things that Kamala Harris has said about Donald Trump, of course, and Biden as well, and everybody in the Democrat leadership," Johnson said.

Last edited:
If a candidate drops dead you would think there would be a mechanism for allowing the new candidate on ballots. And Biden's growing confusion, that even Johnson admits he saw, and the real reason he was forced out, should work the same way. Republicans don't really care about democracy, they just want to win.

If a candidate drops dead you would think there would be a mechanism for allowing the new candidate on ballots. And Biden's growing confusion, that even Johnson admits he saw, and the real reason he was forced out, should work the same way. Republicans don't really care about democracy, they just want to win.
LOL he didn't drop dead, he ran home and hid under the bed.

Yeah…MAGA-nuts telling Dems how to run their party! Phuquers can’t even electric leader to run the Hiuse….but they “know” how to run a political party.

Trump is running scared . Let’s see if the Dems can take advantage of this new development.
Biden hiding in the basement. Harris sounding like a complete idiot in a call with major donors Saturday night.

Ane you think the GOP is scared?

LOL

Haha republatards.
“[Democrats] have real problems, I mean, every state has their own election system. That’s our constitutional system,” Johnson said in a CNN “State of the Union” interview with Jake Tapper on Sunday. “That’s the way it’s done. And in some of these states, it’s a real hurdle.”

“Joe Biden was chosen after a long, small-d democratic process by 14 million people emerging through that primary,” he continued. “It will be very interesting to see if the so-called party of democracy, the Democrats, go into a backroom somewhere and switch it out and put someone else at the top of the ticket.”

“[Democrats] have real problems, I mean, every state has their own election system. That’s our constitutional system,” Johnson said in a CNN “State of the Union” interview with Jake Tapper on Sunday. “That’s the way it’s done. And in some of these states, it’s a real hurdle.”

“Joe Biden was chosen after a long, small-d democratic process by 14 million people emerging through that primary,” he continued. “It will be very interesting to see if the so-called party of democracy, the Democrats, go into a backroom somewhere and switch it out and put someone else at the top of the ticket.”
Back rooms are best!
Dems elect delegates abs appoint delegates to vote for candidates at the party’s convention. These delegates are bound to Biden (for the most part) for the first ballot, minimally. Biden has dropped from the race and that releases these delegates to other candidates. That is how it works. Johnson is a putz.

Dems doubled down on braindead biden for the past year knowing what his mental state was. (Nothing is different with his mental state other than the debate made it so dems couldn't deny a decline) They should have had a real primary, but they didn't think they would get caught on bidens mental state.

They ran biden because they enjoyed Obama and Clinton running the show for biden.

They deserve everything that is coming to them.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Back rooms are best!
Dems elect delegates abs appoint delegates to vote for candidates at the party’s convention. These delegates are bound to Biden (for the most part) for the first ballot, minimally. Biden has dropped from the race and that releases these delegates to other candidates. That is how it works. Johnson is a putz.
Nope legal challenges will be filed in some individual states.

You can’t force someone to run, he is free to drop out whenever and their delegates are free to vote for whoever. I love how the MAGAs are freaking out now, makes it seem like the right move.

You can’t force someone to run, he is free to drop out whenever and their delegates are free to vote for whoever. I love how the MAGAs are freaking out now, makes it seem like the right move.

(Per Twitter) Wisconsin: does not allow withdrawal from the ballot for any reason besides death.
—— Biden hasn’t died.

• Nevada: no changes can be made to the ballot after 5 p.m. on the fourth Friday in June of an election year or a nominee dies or is adjudicated insane or mentally incompetent.
—— It’s past June, and Biden has not died, nor 25th’d.

Those are two key states.

(Per Twitter) Wisconsin: does not allow withdrawal from the ballot for any reason besides death.
—— Biden hasn’t died.

• Nevada: no changes can be made to the ballot after 5 p.m. on the fourth Friday in June of an election year or a nominee dies or is adjudicated insane or mentally incompetent.
—— It’s past June, and Biden has not died, nor 25th’d.

Those are two key states.
The Dems have a real legal hurdle to climb and time is running out.

Yes every state does, but the Democratic Party isn’t in any state’s constitution, the general election is. The political party has their own system which is completely separate.

House Speaker Mike Johnson reiterated Sunday that any attempt by Democrats to sub in a new candidate in place of President Joe Biden is likely to be met by legal challenges.

Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Johnson said, "Every state has its own system, and in some of these, it's not possible to simply just switch out a candidate."

Johnson's assertion, which echoed remarks he made during the Republican National Convention, suggests a strategy Republicans could be looking toward should Biden decides to withdraw from the presidential election. "I think in states where it can be contested, I expect that it will be, and they'll have an interesting battle on their hands,” the Louisiana Republican said Thursday of a possible switch.

Johnson said there might be grounds for a challenge, given that Biden was the overwhelming winner of the party's primaries. "I think they would run into some legal impediments in at least a few of these jurisdictions," he told host Martha Raddatz. "We'll see how it plays out."

Vice President Kamala Harris is a possible replacement on the ticket for Biden should he withdraw from the race. Johnson on Sunday declined to assail Trump for referring to her as "laughing Kamla" and "crazy" in a speech Saturday, the kind of personal attacks Johnson has said do not belong in the election process.

"I articulate things in a certain way and Donald Trump does as well," Johnson said, "but his grievances, as you said, are because he has been the subject of so many attacks."

When pressed on the matter, Johnson said Democrats are doing the same thing.

"We could run the tape of terrible things that Kamala Harris has said about Donald Trump, of course, and Biden as well, and everybody in the Democrat leadership," Johnson said.

Never mind the r’s. I’m waiting for Alvin Bragg to file a consumer fraud injunction when they do not return the campaign contributions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT