ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans go on record: Should RGBs seat be left open for the next president?

I'm a republican/conservative and I think RGB's seat should be left open

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

z_ape

HR Heisman
Mar 8, 2010
This poll is with your name recorded. This is simply a snapshot of what you think right now.

If you change your mind, feel free to say as much in the thread. This poll was created to get a feel for what the public is thinking right now.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
If McConnell attempts to fill the seat and there isn’t significant pushback from most prominent Republicans then I’m no longer a Republican. It absolutely should be filled by whomever wins the election.

The law allows the seat to be filled now. Why will you switch parties?

Reactions: Banditking
Yes. It should. Wait...no. It should be Garland. To the right thing and put him up. That’s what should happen.

Reactions: mstp1992
Yes. It should. Wait...no. It should be Garland. To the right thing and put him up. That’s what should happen.
That would probably save the country a lot of heartache. Like a no-brainer let's make 2020 a little bit easier somewhere. What's going to end up happening probably isn't going to help anyone.

If McConnell attempts to fill the seat and there isn’t significant pushback from most prominent Republicans then I’m no longer a Republican. It absolutely should be filled by whomever wins the election.

Yeah, there will be almost zero pushback. This is now the party of Trump. Period. The only core values are defend Trump and anger liberals. This seat will be filled within four weeks.

Leave it open. We are 4 months away. Will take 1/2 that in a best case scenario to get them confirmed anyway.

Good for you. I have a feeling McConnell will figure out his count before he makes any push public. So if he says it should be decided by the next president, it means a 4th senator said no.

Reactions: mstp1992
The law allows the seat to be filled now. Why will you switch parties?
The law allowed the seat to be filled in 2016 also. I didn’t agree with the Republican decision to hold the seat vacant that year but I defended their logic in doing so. If they fill a seat that opened just six weeks before the election then they have shit all over that logic and I won’t defend it or be a party to it.

I think it is fine for a sitting POTUS to nominate someone and the Senate to decide to vote on that nominee BEFORE the election. The POTUS and the Senate are the legitimate representatives of the people based on the most recent elections for both.

Doing this after an election would be pretty bad in my opinion. It would be legal, but not the right way to go.

While they may try, I don’t think the Republicans will confirm a replacement before January. So the nominee will be made by the next administration.

The law allowed the seat to be filled in 2016 also. I didn’t agree with the Republican decision to hold the seat vacant that year but I defended their logic in doing so. If they fill a seat that opened just six weeks before the election then they have shit all over that logic and I won’t defend it or be a party to it.

In 2016 the law allowed McConnell to not proceed. The law gives the senate that power. The law is being followed in both instances. You can’t dispute that.

Face it TJ, you’ve always been politically feckless. You kind of remind me of the scene in The Outlaw Josie Wales. The ferry operator whistles the Battle Hymn of the Republic one minute and then whistles Dixie the next.

In 2016 the law allowed McConnel to not proceed. The law gives the senate that power. The law is being followed in both instances. You can’t dispute that.

Face it TJ, you’ve always been politically feckless. You kind of remind me of the scene in The Outlaw Josie Wales. The ferry operator whistles the Battle Hymn of the Republic one minute and then whistles Dixie the next.

I don’t support blatant hypocrisy. If that makes me feckless in your estimation then mark me down as feckless.

Surprising to see so many republicans willing to turn their country over to the communists. The law allows this appointment. The com

*too

Part of the problem is that the Senate has allowed itself to become more like the House, which is to say, more partisan and lacking in decorum. The Framers gave Senators 6 year terms to avoid this type of thing. It went off the rails year ago. My best guess is it probably started with the Bork hearings. Prior to that, most SCOTUS nominees were confirmed by large bipartisan majorities.

A new nomination and Senate vote would be legal, sure. I'm just not sure that the GOP should do it. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

It's a tough call. Politicians always try to take advantage in the here and now, not realizing that history takes a long time. The political winds change constantly.

Maybe we need a gesture of decorum from the GOP so close to the election. I'm just not sure the democrats would reciprocate, given the radical state of that party right now.

If Biden wins and the Democrats hold the House and take the Senate, some prominent Dems have promised to end the filibuster. If that's how things stack up, why would the Republicans not fill the seat in December.

Both sides need to show some restraint. Everyone has something to lose here.

This poll is with your name recorded. This is simply a snapshot of what you think right now.

If you change your mind, feel free to say as much in the thread. This poll was created to get a feel for what the public is thinking right now.
John Roberts and SCOTUS should come out as a whole and state that her replacement should not happen until after the election. Any appointment now will be seen as purely political and delegitimizes the SCOTUS’ nonpartisan role in our democracy.

Good post. I appreciate the principled stand.

John Roberts and SCOTUS should come out as a whole and state that her replacement should not happen until after the election. Any appointment now will be seen as purely political and delegitimizes the SCOTUS’ nonpartisan role in our democracy.

LOL. Why do you pretend that they are nonpartisan? No one believes that.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish: Not to have Donald Trump choose replacement
"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed," Ruth Bader Ginsburg told her granddaughter, Clara Spera, in the days before her death, NPR reported.

If Biden wins and the Democrats hold the House and take the Senate, some prominent Dems have promised to end the filibuster. If that's how things stack up, why would the Republicans not fill the seat in December.

Both sides need to show some restraint. Everyone has something to lose here.

Well, for one thing the filibuster is dumb. I can't think of one logical reason in support of it. It makes no sense.

On the other hand, selecting a member of the SCOTUS is an incredibly important duty to this country. If the GOP proceeds, after having held up a nomination just 4 years ago in an identical situation, then the Senate is announcing loudly that, "the party is more important than the country - more important than integrity. The Democrats are the enemy. Winning is more important to us than governing."

Of course, most members of the House and the Senate seem to feel this way, but to boldly announce "F YOU AMERICA" is beyond the pale.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
What if he nominates an African American female to fill that spot. Why wouldn't you lefties support this?

The last Supreme Court justice nominated by a democrat stated the following:

"Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

The President of the United States gets to fill Supreme Court justices as they come open. One is currently open so it is his responsibility to appoint a replacement.

Reactions: ICHerky
LOL. Why do you pretend that they are nonpartisan? No one believes that.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish: Not to have Donald Trump choose replacement
"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed," Ruth Bader Ginsburg told her granddaughter, Clara Spera, in the days before her death, NPR reported.

Her wish was to wait until after the election to replace her, you dumbshit!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
ADVERTISEMENT