ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans renew death penalty debate in Iowa

I would agree if this if our courts were 100% accurate. They are not. Murdering one wrongly convicted person is worse than letting a million rapists rot in prison for life imo.

It's one of the areas I diverge from traditional Republican positions.
Valid argument. I just disagree. I also realize I do so from a perspective of privilege which makes it kinda cavalier of me. Still it's the way I see it.

I understand your argument and agree with the disparity portion. I think that is a different issue, however. A person who kidnaps, rapes and kills a child, for instance, should no longer live. I don't care about their circumstances.

Fixing the disparity issue should be a much higher priority though. Much.
The problem is that wealthy, white people can hire a good lawyer and work the system to avoid the death penalty for kidnapping, raping and killing a child. A poor person or a person of color has a much steeper path to get that same outcome for the same crime.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The problem is that wealthy, white people can hire a good lawyer and work the system to avoid the death penalty for kidnapping, raping and killing a child. A poor person or a person of color has a much steeper path to get that same outcome for the same crime.

I would agree with most of this,... Strike the "white" and "or a person of color" references and I'm 100% on board,.. Money buys a lot of opportunities...

Reactions: CoachJaxKnows
I would agree if this if our courts were 100% accurate. They are not. Murdering one wrongly convicted person is worse than letting a million rapists rot in prison for life imo.

It's one of the areas I diverge from traditional Republican positions.
JFC I just agreed with you. I literally cannot speak right now.

Reactions: DooBi
Again, I understand that but see it as a different issue. One that desperately needs to be addressed.

Just for a little Friday whataboutism, what about same crime against a senior? Same crime against a mentally disabled person? Same crime against the, I don't know, blind person? Why do children accentuate a crime but other protected classes don't?

Do you think it is wise to enact the death penalty when we haven’t addressed issues that make the e action of that penalty problematic?
I'm torn on that. I think there are far too many cases where this punishment is warranted and I'm not sure it sense to wait for measures that may never happen to put it in place.

The best argument against the death penalty is it is arbitrarily enforced. Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, murdered 49 people. He escaped the death penalty by agreeing to reveal the locations of the bodies. This case alone should prompt the end of all death penalties in the USA.

Those deserving the death penalty should go to a super-max prison (23 hour a day lockdown) like Florence.
He was charged with seven counts of murder. By taking the death penalty off the table, he agreed to plead to 48 counts. It allowed the police to find and close 41 additional murder cases and they didn’t have to go to trial.

The death penalty often plays a crucial role in guilty pleas.

How is placing someone in isolation for the rest of their life a morally superior choice to euthanizing them?
How is isolating them in a single cell for 20 years waiting for a date of death morally superior? When you read of death penalty cases, many of them involve one person in a group turning on the others. The one who turns gets out in 15 years and the others get the death penalty. How is that morally superior? How is it morally superior to justify executing someone with the only valid reason being vengeance? A need to seek retribution?

How is isolating them in a single cell for 20 years waiting for a date of death morally superior? When you read of death penalty cases, many of them involve one person in a group turning on the others. The one who turns gets out in 15 years and the others get the death penalty. How is that morally superior? How is it morally superior to justify executing someone with the only valid reason being vengeance? A need to seek retribution?
That wasn’t my reason. My reason was that some people need to be completely removed from society and euthanasia is more humane than isolation. I also believe there is a deterrent effect for people already in prison for life.

When the Governor of Oregon commuted their death sentences, I read through every single case. More than 1/3rd were guys with life sentences who murdered a fellow prisoner, a guard, or a civilian during an escape attempt.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Who said it wasn't? Two wrongs don't make a right.

That’s what is part of the discussion…..Obviously you are saying death penalty shouldn’t exist. If someone raped your daughter and killed her, would you have a different thought or say all is good we caught the perpetrator. Life in prison is ok?

I’m as pro death penalty as you can get, but I don’t know that it makes fiscal or logistical sense to jump into it right now.

You’re going to spend a ton of money meeting AEDPA standards and creating the infrastructure and many places can’t even get the drugs to administer lethal injection.
We use the same drugs to euthanize dogs and cats, what is the difference? Bring back the death penalty in Iowa.

All of those you in favor; I challenge you go watch in person an execution
I would take that challenge. Perhaps I'm callous, but after watching my mom die from cancer I'm not concerned about watching a child killer die.

That’s what is part of the discussion…..Obviously you are saying death penalty shouldn’t exist. If someone raped your daughter and killed her, would you have a different thought or say all is good we caught the perpetrator. Life in prison is ok?
Yes, rapists (and/or violence against children perpetrators) have an unimaginably awful prison experience. There's only one justifiable reason to take a human life and that's self/family preservation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT