ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans -- should RGBs seat be left open for the next president?

For republicans -- should RGB's seat be left open for the next president to fill?

• Yes

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Disagree. Thanks Obama. And if we’re not for him to divide the country so bad you would not have Trump as president.
You are the type of person who has divided this nation. You are happy Ginsberg died and can’t wait to get some ultra right wing nut job on the Supreme Court. Why? Because you don’t care about the future of our country.

You are the type of person who has divided this nation. You are happy Ginsberg died and can’t wait to get some ultra right wing nut job on the Supreme Court. Why? Because you don’t care about the future of our country.
actually replacing a former aclu lawyer with a strict constitutionalist would be a great thing for our country

Polls like this should show who voted for what.
Yep who's principled now. These are the people who shove Jesus and America down my throat. Prove I should ever listen to you again about anything. I'm never going to forgive them if they do they. And their children will know it.

Reactions: Moral and mstp1992
Fair, but, given his tactics, do you think we ought to handle this one differently?
Right now there should be a mourning period. I also feel there are far more pressing matters at this time for the Senate to be performing, such as finalizing another stimulus package, than voting for / against a replacement.

If McConnell forces a vote before the 3rd of January, then no one should legitimately complain if the Democrats seriously consider expanding the court.

Right now there should be a mourning period. I also feel there are far more pressing matters at this time for the Senate to be performing, such as finalizing another stimulus package, than voting for / against a replacement.

If McConnell forces a vote before the 3rd of January, then no one should legitimately complain if the Democrats seriously consider expanding the court.

That would be terrible too. This is why political hard-ball and flouting of norms is so dangerous.

Trump has purposely made the divisiveness worse.
Trump has made the divisiveness far worse because he hates America.

Trump actually fights back at the lefties as hard as they try to attack him.

For far too long, Republicans put up with the left's nonsense, too afraid to truly engage.

That's why Trump beat the other 19 republicans in the primaries, and that's why he beat Hillary.

It remains to be seen whether that results in another victory.

Fair point. I can't answer it though without taking the current state of Congress in context. If both sides operated in good faith, then NO of course they shouldn't ram it through. They don't though. Both side chose justices not based on who will interpret the law correctly but who will interpret the law the way they want it interpreted. So given that, what should be your move if you're a republican in Senate with a republican president? Well? You should ram it through while you know you can.

"Should" if you're a person of integrity and "should" if you're a politician are not the same here.
Sorry, I don’t subscribe to your thesis that Democrats are as unscrupulous as trump republicans. There was a time when both parties could act with honor in times like this. Now it’s just one party, and it’s not the party you belong to. I understand if you have to lie to yourself about that to justify your votes.

Reactions: mstp1992
Trump actually fights back at the lefties as hard as they try to attack him.

For far too long, Republicans put up with the left's nonsense, too afraid to truly engage.

That's why Trump beat the other 19 republicans in the primaries, and that's why he beat Hillary.

It remains to be seen whether that results in another victory.
No, he hates America as do Trump supporters. He doesn’t care about making our country better or more united. Nor do his supporters.
Trump supporters are celebrating Ginsberg’s death because it has potential benefit to their hero. The Branch Trumpians welcome death of those who stand in the way of their cult leader.

Fair point. I can't answer it though without taking the current state of Congress in context. If both sides operated in good faith, then NO of course they shouldn't ram it through. They don't though. Both side chose justices not based on who will interpret the law correctly but who will interpret the law the way they want it interpreted. So given that, what should be your move if you're a republican in Senate with a republican president? Well? You should ram it through while you know you can.

"Should" if you're a person of integrity and "should" if you're a politician are not the same here.
So if the Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate they "should" pack the court since they know they can.

GOP and MdConnell are such freaking liars and hypocrites. You can clearly read McConnells statements 4 years ago. The fact that people support that liar is insane

The party in power will do everything it can to advance their agenda.

it’s simple

I am a conservative.....and I disagreed with Ginsberg. But, there is no way they should have a vote before the election. Holding off is the right thing to do. But, with Washington....nothing either party has done lately has been about the right thing. Why can't we have a third party. Sigh.

Mitch McConnell is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. Pushing through a SCOTUS appointee approval before the election would be a "win" that would fire up the mindless Trumpanzees, but he would almost certainly be surrendering the Senate to the Dems by strong-arming so many vulnerable GOP Senators to make a controversial 'yea' vote. Also, there's still a better chance than not that Biden will win the election anyway. So, if he p*sses off the Dems with another bullsh*t move just prior to them taking full control, he would be looking at a miserable final stretch of his career. How 'bout having the SCOTUS expanded to 15 members and admitting D.C. and Puerto Rico as States? The minority GOP might not ever recover.

i envision a compromise being made between the two parties regarding this subject. It would be something to the effect of GOP agreeing not to push a vote for SCOTUS through before Jan 20th in exchange for Biden agreeing not to pack the SCOTUS or eliminate the tax cut during his first term.

I know the two teams aren't very good at working together, but something like this is what would be fair to the voters and eliminate what is otherwise going to be a total sh&tshow going through the Senate for the next 2-3 months (parliamentary tricks, obstruction, abuse of discretionary authority, lame-duckers going rogue, lawsuits, etc.).

I am a conservative.....and I disagreed with Ginsberg. But, there is no way they should have a vote before the election. Holding off is the right thing to do. But, with Washington....nothing either party has done lately has been about the right thing. Why can't we have a third party. Sigh.
Liberals attempted and illegal coup to get rid of Trump. They deserve to be attacked forever.

If we're talking theory, then Trump should make a nomination. His term is four years, not three years and eight months.

In theory, those that said the Senate should have voted on Garland would be consistent if they said Trump should make a nomination and have a Senate vote.

Those who are outraged at Trump and the Senate are being intellectually dishonest. They are outraged at the hypocrisy of Mcconnell instead of being consistent in their own beliefs.

For the record, I think the Senate should have voted on Garland and not having a vote was chickendhlt.

Oh, I'm not Republican.

Last edited:
Why can’t we have a third party?

The electoral college.

Frankly , I am not sure why it is an issue, I mean we have a process in place that has been in place forever. Why not just follow the process? If I am not mistaken , Obama’s nominee would not have made it through the senate anyhow , so it was a completely different situation.

Reactions: farmandfleet
Frankly , I am not sure why it is an issue, I mean we have a process in place that has been in place forever. Why not just follow the process? If I am not mistaken , Obama’s nominee would not have made it through the senate anyhow , so it was a completely different situation.
Your last statement is an empirical question. We will never know if Garland would have been confirmed because he was never brought up for an up or down vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT