ADVERTISEMENT

Rerun Videos of Christian Williams

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
These are a couple of my favorite videos of Christian Williams. They've been on here before but, it Wednesday so not much going on.

Clear he's got some work ahead, the competition is not first class in these. But the athleticism is there. On his twitter I see someone posted that he had a vertical of 40.5" this week.

These are a couple of my favorite videos of Christian Williams. They've been on here before but, it Wednesday so not much going on.

Clear he's got some work ahead, the competition is not first class in these. But the athleticism is there. On his twitter I see someone posted that he had a vertical of 40.5" this week.

wow! 40" verticle at 6'6" and 7'0" wingspan... YIKES!!!

This is just a general statement, not one directed about Williams. I hate when the vertical jump figures get tossed out there. Vertical used to mean one thing, you were standing, you squatted down and jumped as high as you could. Then they figured the difference from where you reached pre-jump to where you got to post jump.

Now they have standing vertical, one-step vertical, running vertical, whatever else. Unless they say specifically how they jumped, it's apples and oranges./end rant

As to the videos... I have no doubt he'll have ups and downs over the next couple of years at point. However, the skills are there to be an average/above average B1G PG, especially once adjusted for height and athleticism. I'm not saying he'll be a two-time first team All-B1G or anything, just that he could be something better than a guy.

Reactions: BuckRussel
This is just a general statement, not one directed about Williams. I hate when the vertical jump figures get tossed out there. Vertical used to mean one thing, you were standing, you squatted down and jumped as high as you could. Then they figured the difference from where you reached pre-jump to where you got to post jump.

Now they have standing vertical, one-step vertical, running vertical, whatever else. Unless they say specifically how they jumped, it's apples and oranges./end rant

As to the videos... I have no doubt he'll have ups and downs over the next couple of years at point. However, the skills are there to be an average/above average B1G PG, especially once adjusted for height and athleticism. I'm not saying he'll be a two-time first team All-B1G or anything, just that he could be something better than a guy.

Good point I believe that was a running vertical.

• Unless he has added quite a few inches to his vert he doesn't have a 40 in vertical but he has more lift than Marble had so he is more than athletic enough.

Christian Williams retweeted
Gavin Sullivan ‏@Illinois_Irish 19h19 hours ago

Heard 2015 Alum @cwill_20 tested out with 41.5 approach jump today! #Bunnies
1f430.png
1f430.png
1f430.png

4 retweets 12 favorites

I was wrong, I said 40.5". :) "On his twitter I see someone posted that he had a vertical of 40.5" this week.", "Good point I believe that was a running vertical."

The 2015 class could be historic. I know it sounds like hyperbole and it is way too early but how can you not like the potential of this class?

I can't wait to see each of these guys in action. Williams seems to be the least heralded of the bunch but watching those game highlights again makes you wonder whether he could be the key to Iowa's fortunes in another couple years.

I don't know whether Fran plans to redshirt Williams or not; the consensus among fans seems to be that he will. I hope he plays. Get him as many minutes as possible this year, especially against weaker competition early, then spring him loose in 2016.

How do you know this?
Just watch the videos DanL53 posted. There were 3 or 4 breakaways where if he truly had close to a 42 in vertical his head should be on the rim. Guys with 41.5 in verticals are freak athletes. It doesn't have anything to do with how good a player he will be so I'll leave it at that.

Just watch the videos DanL53 posted. There were 3 or 4 breakaways where if he truly had close to a 42 in vertical his head should be on the rim. Guys with 41.5 in verticals are freak athletes. It doesn't have anything to do with how good a player he will be so I'll leave it at that.
For one, and maybe you didn't catch this before you posted, they talked about how it could be different from just a stand and jump vert, this was an approach vert. Second how can you make a definitive decision on what someone's vert is from a highlight of a breakaway dunk. Do you suppose when he dunked it he tried jumping as absolutely high as he could? Or do you suppose being 6'6 he just made sure he flushed it?

Reactions: lenoxhawks
It wouldn't surprise me at all that when being measured he jumped out of the gym. But as mentioned, he really doesn't need to with his wingspan.

What got me excited the most was he showed some good passing, and used his left hand well handling the ball. One play where he lost his footing, kept the dribble alive and tossed a bullet under the basketball to a teammate and I'm thinking, "Yes, we can make a point guard out of this guy." Having played quarterback in football is a plus in his favor.

I'll bet that the opening night slam dunk contest is going to be interesting this year. :)

I just like the young man, I like them all. They seem like a nice bunch of guys and I hope their experience in Iowa City and at the U of I is a good one. I have my doubts we'll be able to keep all five happy with playing time, but I sure hope they stick around.

Your post doesn't make any sense at all. I know because I do the same as cw when I play ball. If I am going for a layup I might only get up 3-4 inches. When I am shooting a 3 over someone I might get up 5 inches. Sure I could give it max effort every time to reach my 12 inch vert. But energy conservation is the name of the game. Gotta have fresh legs when the game is on the line.

Holy crap, gotta love the potential of a kid with no other power 5 conference offer. He might follow in the footsteps of another great Hawkeye PG, Trey Dickerson. Whoops! Never mind. I'm playing devil's advocate of course. Our fan base is worse than Fran. Remember Josh Oglesby being the greatest shooter of all-time and Mike Gesell playing in the NBA. This kid could be good or he could be a flop. Who knows. Iowa needs good stories from guys like this if we are going to be an above average team since Fran has whiffed on his main PG targets. This kid was ultimately a fall-back type recruit. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Last edited:
Our fan base is worse than Fran. Remember Josh Oglesby being the greatest shooter of all-time and Mike Gesell playing in the NBA.

No. No I don't remember that. Nothing even close to that.

ADVERTISEMENT