ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant customer leaves ethnic insult for Latina waitress instead of a tip

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - An 18-year-old waitress working the lunch shift at a Virginia restaurant was left with a racist message instead of a cash tip recently, and her grandfather started a social media firestorm that shamed the customers, according to reports.

Sadie Elledge was working at Jess’ Lunch in downtown Harrisonburg when she got a reciept that said “We only tip citizens” where a tip amount should have been written, reports CBS affiliate WUSA-TV.

The girl’s grandfather, John Elledge, took a photo and posted it to Facebook along with some choice words calling the couple “a total piece of dung.”

Sadie was born in the United States, thus making her an American citizen since birth. She is of Honduran and Mexican descent, the Washington Post reported.

“I’ve gotten six wonderful grandkids,” John Elledge told The Washington Post. “Sadie’s the third oldest. Her dad’s Honduran — my son — and her mother is Mexican. We’re a totally bicultural family. A pretty typical bicultural family.”

After the story began to go viral online, John Elledge outed the restaurant where the incident took place at the encouraging of the restaurant’s manager. He also ended up posting to Facebook the identity of one of the two people involved.

The Post reports the offending couple who left the “tip” eventually caught wind of it, and stormed back into the restaurant.

The man “was yelling and screaming about the four digits [of the credit card],” Tom Marchese, the manager at Jess’ Lunch told the Post. “I said it’s not even your card. Are you really concerned about that or are you more concerned about what was put on social media? He said, ‘Well, both.’ ”

“I told him why is he even yelling at me; he should go to the person that did it,” Marchese said.

John Elledge caught wind of the confrontation, and returned to the restaurant to take part and meet the couple face to face, the Post reports.

“We didn’t talk much,” Elledge told The Post. The female in the couple “was mad that I posted it…. The guy, he was being really belligerent.”

” … She was asking me why I posted it,” Elledge said. “I said obviously, it was an insult — your signature against my granddaughter — darn right I’m going to post it. And no apologies.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/latina-waitress-in-virginia-gets-racist-message-instead-of-tip/

Restaurant should ban the patron from ever returning.

It's totally racist to presume someone of Latin descent is an illegal. I hope social media brutalizes them....well deserved.

EDIT: Why are they eating 'Gyros', instead of red-blooded 'Merican fare?
Commies!

This kind of crap just really pisses me off. Not only because of the obvious racist ignorance of it, but just the pure coward passive aggressiveness it is.

It's not that different from the douchers who left the tip note at Zombie Burger that they only tip, "normal looking people."

They leave their little note, absolutely shitting on another person and making them feel like crap, then skate away like it's nothing. I'm so happy in this case their lives are being affected negatively because their name is out there now.

If a person is going to say something like that, at least own up to it and talk to that person face to face. Not that it makes it any better, but at least it means they aren't some passive aggressive wiener who writes little notes to trash people.

Have any members of the tolerant left made death threats or doxxed the couple yet?

I think what they did is undoubtedly poor form and deserves to be called out. But that's it, going farther than that makes people just like them.

Hey people, there are dicks in this world. The sooner you learn and accept this, the better your life is going to be. When you work as a server you just have to learn to accept crap like this, or find another job.

So what... we just let dicks be dicks and never call them out on their crap? I'm certain you don't live your life as a doormat.

Have any members of the tolerant left made death threats or doxxed the couple yet?

I think what they did is undoubtedly poor form and deserves to be called out. But that's it, going farther than that makes people just like them.

The ironic thing is that Latin people are NOTORIOUSLY bad tippers. I wonder how many times her father left a 5% tip or stiffed someone, but now he wants to act all incredulous about his daughter getting stiffed. Like I said earlier, deal with it or find another job. The waitress is lucky she wasn't fired over this. If I were the manager I probably would have fired her.

Reactions: 73chief and ghost80
So what... we just let dicks be dicks and never call them out on their crap? I'm certain you don't live your life as a doormat.

Yup, that's the rule in the restaurant business. You keep your mouth shut, you don't talk about your tips, and you continue to do your job. You can either do that or find some other place to work. Do you think she's the first person who's ever gotten stiffed?

Reactions: 73chief
Yup, that's the rule in the restaurant business. You keep your mouth shut, you don't talk about your tips, and you continue to do your job. You can either do that or find some other place to work. Do you think she's the first person who's ever gotten stiffed?

Haven't you heard? You have the right to act how ever you want at work! See the stupid Colin K thread.

Hey people, there are dicks in this world. The sooner you learn and accept this, the better your life is going to be. When you work as a server you just have to learn to accept crap like this, or find another job.

What? When did being insulted become a server's job? I am baffled by how anyone could defend this customer's actions. Why should she have to find another job because of someone else's ignorance? You are way off on this one.

What? When did being insulted become a server's job? I am baffled by how anyone could defend this customer's actions. Why should she have to find another job because of someone else's ignorance? You are way off on this one.

Since always. Do you think she the first server who's been insulted? That's the job, dude. Take it or leave it. You wouldn't believe some of this shit I've heard said to myself or other servers. Shitty people are shitty, but they still spend money and the corporate part of the restaurant only cares about their bottom line. It's called real life, dude. Some of us live here, and some of you don't.

Since always. Do you think she the first server who's been insulted? That's the job, dude. Take it or leave it. You wouldn't believe some of this shit I've heard said to myself or other servers. Shitty people are shitty, but they still spend money and the corporate part of the restaurant only cares about their bottom line. It's called real life, dude. Some of us live here, and some of you don't.

That's another new right you didn't know about, Soup. The right to never be offended. That new right is where safe spaces come from.

I waited tables for years and never received a insult like this. I have to wonder if your shitty attitude doesn't have something to do with how you are treated as a server.

I waited tables for years and never received a insult like this. I have to wonder if your shitty attitude doesn't have something to do with how you are treated as a server.

Here's Soup at work:

waiterfinal.jpg

Oh bullshit. That is not the rule in the restaurant business at all. I worked as a professional chef for over a decade. I was never front of the house but the majority of my human interaction during those years was with servers and front of the house management. When there was a dickhead customer, EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT IT. Especially if they were regulars.

Restaurants are little sewing circles, everyone knows everyone's business. Keeping your mouth shut? Pffft, no such thing. You are completely full of shit if you believe otherwise.

All of that aside, this is not something as simple as a server "gotten stiffed." This is someone going out of their way to not only stiff a server, but to stick the knife in and twist it to make them feel even worse.

Not only do they make no money from the table, they now have someone trashing them because of the color of their skin. If that's not bad enough, they leave their racist shit in the form of some stupid little note and walk off like there are no repercussions for it.

Passive aggressive dickwads like this are scum of the earth.

Are you kidding me? I was incredible at my job. To be honest, I didn't get too many snide remarks, because I'm a decent sized guy and men usually wouldn't try to f*** with me. However, the stuff that these same guys would say to female servers could be pretty bad.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that these people are right, I'm saying that it comes with the territory and you can either deal with it or you can't, and if you can't then you need to find another job.

Oh bullshit. That is not the rule in the restaurant business at all. I worked as a professional chef for over a decade. I was never front of the house but the majority of my human interaction during those years was with servers and front of the house management. When there was a dickhead customer, EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT IT. Especially if they were regulars.

Restaurants are little sewing circles, everyone knows everyone's business. Keeping your mouth shut? Pffft, no such thing. You are completely full of shit if you believe otherwise.

All of that aside, this is not something as simple as a server "gotten stiffed." This is someone going out of their way to not only stiff a server, but to stick the knife in and twist it to make them feel even worse.

Not only do they make no money from the table, they now have someone trashing them because of the color of their skin. If that's not bad enough, they leave their racist shit in the form of some stupid little note and walk off like there are no repercussions for it.

Passive aggressive dickwads like this are scum of the earth.

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't ever get said, but it's a far cry from everyone knowing who a tough customer is to plastering them all over social media. Managers are tolerant of the former, but not the latter.

Unfortunately my job was to take care of most of the tougher customers when I was a server. People who were misquoted on a seat time and were pissed off, people who were very particular, people who were rough around the edges. It sucked, but I did it because it was my job, and they asked me to do it because they knew I could.

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't ever get said, but it's a far cry from everyone knowing who a tough customer is to plastering them all over social media. Managers are tolerant of the former, but not the latter.

Unfortunately my job was to take care of most of the tougher customers when I was a server. People who were misquoted on a seat time and were pissed off, people who were very particular, people who were rough around the edges. It sucked, but I did it because it was my job, and they asked me to do it because they knew I could.

That's fine, but these dickwads that leave their little notes deserve to be called out in public for them. Not waltzing away after they completely ruin someone's day.

That's fine, but these dickwads that leave their little notes deserve to be called out in public for them. Not waltzing away after they completely ruin someone's day.

You're probably right, but you still can't do it when you work for a corporation. Look, I helped a buddy out with his restaurant for a little while and he would personally tell people to "f*** off" and throw them out. That's fine because it was his business. Of course he's now out of business, so that should tell you something right there.

I wonder how many pubic hairs, and how many sandwiches that have been dropped on the floor, or rubbed over some chubby girl's private areas have been consumed over the years by those two customers. Exhumations from the nostril area also make it into food at times.

You really, really need to be careful when eating out if you are a non-tipper ... and many times more so if you are a rude non-tipper.

Frankly, this more traditional approach would have been quite suitable in this situation.

I wonder how many pubic hairs, and how many sandwiches that have been dropped on the floor, or rubbed over some chubby girl's private areas have been consumed over the years by those two customers. Exhumations from the nostril area also make it into food at times.

You really, really need to be careful when eating out if you are a non-tipper ... and many times more so if you are a rude non-tipper.

Frankly, this more traditional approach would have been quite suitable in this situation.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT