ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant Prices

First, please let me preface. I am the poorest of the poors on HROT. That being said, took a couple of people for St. Patrick's lunch yesterday. Red's Alehouse, North Liberty. This place used to be packed at all times and I noticed maybe 20 percent full.

Three half Ruebens, three cup of soups, two beers, one pepsi and grenadine, and one onion rings order.

$60 without tip. $78 with tips.

Now, even a poor like me cringes but I enjoy my company so I did not hesitate. But I can see why people are dining less and why restaurants have to jack prices up to survive. This death battle is not looking good moving forward. Anyhoo, the rich of HROT, tell me why we aren't going to have an restaurant collapse very soon.
Just looked at the menu. Looks pretty reasonably priced to me...

FIFY Moral.
user1704_63899.jpg

Good to know there are some fellow thrifters here.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Red's was better when it was Rookie's.
Yes it was. Dude that was the head cook opened Bryants in Tiffin. He took some recipes with him.

Reds sucks. You go there to either be seen or get 2 for 1 at happy hour. Food is pricey and very meh. That said I am fundamentally opposed to Blackstone group plans to take over the world. We MUST UNITE against them!

Reactions: Pinehawk
I’m poorer than OP, and have a second job as a server. I’ve definitely noticed over the last 1-2 months a slowdown in business and a general reduction in my tip percentages. A 23-25% shift was my standard, and it’s down to about 20% lately (which is still pretty good). None of this is a complaint, just an observation that people generally have less money to spend on something that is becoming more expensive. And I don’t blame them for staying home to cook for themselves.
Of all of the potential factors that could be limiting the amount of cash being shared by people via tips, etc, I would strongly suspect the much higher gas prices we are seeing now. It is easily $20-$30+ more now to fill up a tank and that happens for many once or even twice a week. I think one of the first areas to trim is restaurant meals/tips. FWIW.

Your points are well taken but what I was saying tongue in cheek is that soon restaurant food will become inaccessible to the common average joe. Fast food, perhaps not yet, but sit down places, yes.
Boy howdy! The steak special is now $12.99 at Flannigans on Thursday and Saturday. It's still good, but damn if I can afford that $2 bump.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
we have noticed the same thing, specifically with Reds but all over too. In the last few weeks restaurants have gone through the roof. Which is fine, we will just eat out less….

We have also thought quality has been dipping….not paying more for less when you can make wonderful food at home

Edit: glad to see we’re not the only ones noticing local joints cutting quality while increasing prices.

This sounds miserable.

I've never seen a bill that included all the taxes referenced above, and I couldn't imagine packing a cooler full of food to go on a trip.

Do you all also bring backpacks full of sandwiches and juice boxes into theme parks to keep from buying overpriced concessions? Or get shit-faced outside the stadium before the game to avoid having to pay stadium pricing for drinks one you get inside?

To each their own, and all, but it seems like you're creating more work/grief for yourself in the name of "sticking it to the man". I recommend easing up and just enjoying life.

You ever see Zach Grienke discuss why he doesn't get guac on his burrito at chipotle anymore? Same idea

Reactions: GOHOX69
We eat most of our meals at home mainly because we can control the quality of the food and how it’s prepared. The places that we do eat at are worth the money.

What sucks is when you eat at a place, it’s more expensive than normal, and the food sucks.
Those places won't stay in business very long.

We've decided to NOT participate any further in this mess. Packing lunches, including coolers for long trips. The industry is on life support. Shutdown politics are to blame.

I’m confused. You admit restaurants are victims of bad government policy, so instead of trying to help them you abandon them? I go out more now than I used to, and I tip big.

Reactions: McLovin32
I’m confused. You admit restaurants are victims of bad government policy, so instead of trying to help them you abandon them? I go out more now than I used to, and I tip big.

I'm not going to bail out victims of bad government. Voting matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT