ADVERTISEMENT

Review 12 players on the field

A

anon_snp6dc585nnj4

Is the STUPIDEST thing to review. Should not be allowed.

Why is reviewing a penalty that has no subjectivity to it stupid? Would you still be against it if the 12th man saved a game winning TD but the refs missed the fact there were 12 on the field? By no means would I want them to review all penalties; but i see nothing wrong with that review. 12 players could be a rather bid advantage.

It is a penalty. I thought the whole point was not to review human element faults on penalties.

It is a penalty. I thought the whole point was not to review human element faults on penalties.

I kind of take it as a matter of subjectivity. There's either 12 man on the field or not, it's very concrete.

I think they have to go with degrees of subjectivity on reviewing penalty calls. Otherwise a game would take 5 hours trying to decide if it was really pass interference or not, which has a higher element of subjectivity.

Reviewing 12 men on the field is a quick one.

Reactions: anon_snp6dc585nnj4
Sorry meant to emphasize the PENALTIES point. Why not just review PI calls and holding calls. When it was first introduced they were not going to review penalties.

I kind of take it as a matter of subjectivity. There's either 12 man on the field or not, it's very concrete.

I think they have to go with degrees of subjectivity on reviewing penalty calls. Otherwise a game would take 5 hours trying to decide if it was really pass interference or not, which has a higher element of subjectivity.

Reviewing 12 men on the field is a quick one.

Well reasoned response, thank you. I agree and have changed my opinion on the OP. Serious, lol, never thought about it that way. Just figured no reviewing penalties meant none.

I hated reply at first but now I kind of wish they'd just review everything. Get rid of challenges and stop requiring a field judge to conduct the review ((which I've always felt was riddiculous). Just have a crew offsite review all the plays and buzz the official when they screw up.

I have no problem with the 12 man on the field review. Seems like a good idea to me.

I hated reply at first but now I kind of wish they'd just review everything. Get rid of challenges and stop requiring a field judge to conduct the review ((which I've always felt was riddiculous). Just have a crew offsite review all the plays and buzz the official when they screw up.

The problem I think that was exposed with this is that the offsite crew takes a bit of time to review it and meanwhile the offense is rushing to the football to snap it in a hurry before it can be reviewed.

Honestly I think the NFL review rules are good how they are. The only thing I might add is the ability to review facemask and horse collar penalties. At the very least to challenge the fact that they occurred.

Last year the Colts lost an early season game because on a big 3rd down the refs called a horse collar tackle however when looks at the replay it's clear the tackle was clean.

I always though you couldn't call a penalty from a review. (i.e. reviewing a fumble and noticing a facemasking) But I could see it for 12 men on the field. But how about this one, earlier this year the gophers returned a punt for a TD, no flags. But upon review the returners hand went up and they not only called it back but penalized them 5 yards. Didn't think that was allowed.

I always though you couldn't call a penalty from a review. (i.e. reviewing a fumble and noticing a facemasking) But I could see it for 12 men on the field. But how about this one, earlier this year the gophers returned a punt for a TD, no flags. But upon review the returners hand went up and they not only called it back but penalized them 5 yards. Didn't think that was allowed.

I think there is a difference there. Having 11 or less players on the field is an objective thing that must be present 100% of the snaps. Therefore it should always be reviewable, because there is no instance where it shouldn't be true.

Calling a facemask while looking at a fumble is not. You are looking for something specific, like a knee down, not reviewing every aspect of the play. A coach shouldn't be able to just say, "well that play really hurt us, lets go take a look".

The punt return falls in to the fumble category. Either he waved his hand or not, THAT is what you are reviewing. Did he? Didn't he. Boom, whistle, move on. I don't think they should do it if they are actually reviewing whether the returner crossed the goal line or not.

ADVERTISEMENT