ADVERTISEMENT

Review Official

Was waiting for the review official to say the field goal was no good.

Honestly, you had to wonder after the refs got together after the FG was made. I thought they'd call holding or something. My guess on the conversation in the officials huddle:

"Can we call holding here?"

"I don't know. We could probably go to prison if we make up one more bullshit call."

I was ready for the flag. "After further review, we can't allow Nebraska to lose. Therefore, the FG is no good. Nebraska will get the ball at the Iowa one foot line. Please set the clock to 15 seconds, and allow Nebraska three more time outs."

Honestly, you had to wonder after the refs got together after the FG was made. I thought they'd call holding or something. My guess on the conversation in the officials huddle:

"I don't know. We could probably go to prison if we make up one more bullshit call."

Nah, it was more like this: ‘in the ‘72 olympics, the officials gave the Russians 2, maybe 3 cracks at winning without having to provide any justification. We got this ... let’s call hold8ng and move on’

Something that stood out to me, aside from the obvious overturns, was the relatively short time it took to overturn them. Usually to rule against the call on the field it takes a while, these seemed to be reversed as soon as the review started, as if it was a clear cut play the other way....or someone had already made up their mind.

I don't get the secrecy. It has a very Dr. Evil from Inspector Gadget feel to it...Why do they get different views TV isn't able to share? Rugby video reviews they will broadcast the conversation betwen the review official and on-field official. Certainly don't get that here.

Doctor_Claw.jpg

Reactions: dbrocket
Does completing the process of the catch exist in college football?
I think so, but I guess three steps, knee, and elbow then ball getting ripped out isn’t enough. o_O

Announcers and rules expert who watched it over and over again on replay must not know what it is either.

Reactions: andegre
I'm going to take this opportunity to address the underlying problem. Replay is destroying the game. Too many stoppages of action for inconsequential plays. This trend needs to be reigned in. I'm not opposed to any instant replay. However, it is way out of control the way it is being used now.

Reactions: ichawk24

I think it went more like this:

"Which one of us were supposed to drop the flag on that play?"

"Damnit Larry, you had one job!"

You know, I an not the type that believes in conspiracy theories. Yesterday I paid a visit to the little Debbie forum, and it seemed they were thinking that the calls may go their way, since it would be more profitable to the BiG to have another bowl eligible team. Now, I think the bad calls yesterday were coincidence, as there doesn't need to be additional reasons for an officiating crew to blow calls, but it did seem like they blew obvious calls, and calls which were reviewed and seemed just as obvious with the review. The pass overturn and the targeting when the announcers and the rules analyst agreed, and yet the officials overturned.......coincidence? Then they plainly miss the Little Debbie defender with what should have been an obvious face mask, and catch ISM with the follow up left. Ok, usually the second player responding to incidents gets flagged, and ISM was the second, but how on earth did they miss the face mask? No, I don't believe it was a planned thing by the league, just another example of bad refs blowing calls, but in this day and age, it is food for thought.

You know, I an not the type that believes in conspiracy theories. Yesterday I paid a visit to the little Debbie forum, and it seemed they were thinking that the calls may go their way, since it would be more profitable to the BiG to have another bowl eligible team. Now, I think the bad calls yesterday were coincidence, as there doesn't need to be additional reasons for an officiating crew to blow calls, but it did seem like they blew obvious calls, and calls which were reviewed and seemed just as obvious with the review. The pass overturn and the targeting when the announcers and the rules analyst agreed, and yet the officials overturned.......coincidence? Then they plainly miss the Little Debbie defender with what should have been an obvious face mask, and catch ISM with the follow up left. Ok, usually the second player responding to incidents gets flagged, and ISM was the second, but how on earth did they miss the face mask? No, I don't believe it was a planned thing by the league, just another example of bad refs blowing calls.

Nebby got the benefit of about 6 bad spots against us also.
Thank god we average about 7.9 yards on qb sneaks.

You know, I an not the type that believes in conspiracy theories. Yesterday I paid a visit to the little Debbie forum, and it seemed they were thinking that the calls may go their way, since it would be more profitable to the BiG to have another bowl eligible team. Now, I think the bad calls yesterday were coincidence, as there doesn't need to be additional reasons for an officiating crew to blow calls, but it did seem like they blew obvious calls, and calls which were reviewed and seemed just as obvious with the review. The pass overturn and the targeting when the announcers and the rules analyst agreed, and yet the officials overturned.......coincidence? Then they plainly miss the Little Debbie defender with what should have been an obvious face mask, and catch ISM with the follow up left. Ok, usually the second player responding to incidents gets flagged, and ISM was the second, but how on earth did they miss the face mask? No, I don't believe it was a planned thing by the league, just another example of bad refs blowing calls, but in this day and age, it is food for thought.

ISM dodged the bullet on the fall down kick off return. They were looking for him the next few plays

Reactions: kceasthawk
The crew if nothing less was playing to the crowd. It just looked and felt like ‘we are not going to give Nebraska any reason to blame us for another loss and/or not making a bowl game’. The underlying beauty is we won anyway. We overcame every one of those calls/situations.

I'm going to take this opportunity to address the underlying problem. Replay is destroying the game. Too many stoppages of action for inconsequential plays. This trend needs to be reigned in. I'm not opposed to any instant replay. However, it is way out of control the way it is being used now.

I wouldn't go that far. Overall I like the college replay system in that it allows egregious errors to be corrected. The problem yesterday was the review official, period. There is no way there was enough on replay to overturn either the Nico catch or the targeting. None whatsoever.

The crew yesterday did not inspire confidence with their overall lack of game management. Conferences took way too long, they were way too influenced by the crowd.

How bout 3 Huskers blocking our guy into their punter....... first down Debbie!

The replay ref was probably David Witvoet who shouldn't be allowed within 1,000 miles of an Iowa game. He is such a crook.

The crew if nothing less was playing to the crowd. It just looked and felt like ‘we are not going to give Nebraska any reason to blame us for another loss and/or not making a bowl game’. The underlying beauty is we won anyway. We overcame every one of those calls/situations.
This And1. You have to give the kids and the staff a lot of credit for the way they finished that game. The deck seemed stacked against Iowa the whole second half, and the Hawks certainly didn't help themselves much either. And yet when they had to do it, they made EVERY play on that last drive. For as unispiring as our senior QB played he got up off the turf, (literally dragging an injured leg), and made 3 huge clutch throws to get Duncan a shot. The WR's who didn't have their best game, made every single play, (even the one they wrongly overturned). Kudos to all involved...

The worst part is the inconsistency. They are supposed to reverse only if the error is blatant. Some follow that approach. Others think their job is to find an excuse to second guess the call on the field. If it takes more than a minute or two, the call should stand because obviously the evidence isn’t conclusive.

The worst part is the inconsistency. They are supposed to reverse only if the error is blatant. Some follow that approach. Others think their job is to find an excuse to second guess the call on the field. If it takes more than a minute or two, the call should stand because obviously the evidence isn’t conclusive.
This Lone Clone. Supposedly the call on the field is supposed to be considered correct, unless there is indisputable evidence that the call was incorrect. Neither of those final calls should have been overturned, and you could tell that Blandino was hedging on his answers at the end because he would give what he saw as well, and then they would call it opposite of the rules. You could tell by the targeting call, he wasn't sure what the hell to say...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT