ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatch = Perspective

It is not easy to tell when you are not at practice. I can’t say that the players are terrible or that they are not coached well. It is likely a combination of the two with one factor being more to blame than the other. In the end a position coach has to take ownership, although that is not for public consumption.

I do not think one scheme is any easier than the other, although most teams will emphasize one scheme more than the other. Wisconsin emphasizes gap scheme, but still runs zone. Minnesota runs outside zone very well and runs a form of gap scheme with no pullers called Duo. But zone principles are part of gap scheme also because in a gap double team, one of the players will come off the block for a backer. It all boils down to execution, and frankly, the Gophers are better at outside zone now than Iowa is.
Minnesota also runs a different system.
One they I wish Iowa would go to.

Reactions: unclesammy
I’m geeking out on this stuff! Thank you for the analysis! The laughy face crew could learn a thing or two.

I’m not sure if you saw it, but Mike Tomlin was on a podcast or something, talking about how prospects are talked about during the draft process. The gist of his dialogue was that players are unfairly labeled by what they can and can’t do, because it’s up to coaches to develop those skills. When I watch our OL play, and the struggles they’re having (which are in exact correlation with the hiring of this position coach and the firing of Doyle), I can’t help but think; either the teachers aren’t teaching, or the players aren’t learning.
Doyle has nothing to do with it

Reactions: BDJHawk
THAT is the one that is a head scratcher. The play is designed to get pressure on the QB but he threw it like he was scared the defensive player was coming after him hard. That had a BIG gain if not TD written all over it. It was also telling to me we did not try it again the rest of the game.
There were several execution problems on that play. That was a double screen with Petras faking a screen to I believe the TE. The running back didn't chip the rusher. I imagine the expectation is the running back chips the free rusher which buys a little bit of time. The more concerning thing is that Spencer seemed surprised by the free rusher. He should have anticipated that guy coming free. I would argue that he could've skipped the fake to the outside allowing him to focus on the rush. With all that said the throw was still there.

Minnesota also runs a different system.
One they I wish Iowa would go to.
The “system” does not block defenders. The outside zone scheme that Minnesota uses is essentially the same scheme that Iowa and many other teams use. They do it better.

The “system” does not block defenders. The outside zone scheme that Minnesota uses is essentially the same scheme that Iowa and many other teams use. They do it better.
Iowa isn’t running the same offensive schemeMinnesota does.

Last edited:
Reactions: unclesammy
Minnesota uses a lot of zone but I would argue there is a big difference from Iowa because they run so much RPO.
The play book is relatively simple. The decision making for the QB is fairly prescribed.

C'mon, his first and only starts were against division opponents, and it's not like Padilla ever had any significant time playing prior that wasn't "hand-off and don't fumble." You are expecting him to come out fully formed, while many good quarterbacks stumbled until they got up to speed.

No, he might not be a savior for the offense, but he just might allow for some rollout or a sidestep that helps everything while the new line gets better. The jury is still out.
No. The jury is not still out. Padilla is not a good QB. Seriously....given how badly Petras has been, do you REALLY think Padilla would still be on the bench if he was even serviceable at the position. Good grief, man.

That was an awesome post my friend! One question- how painful was it the second time you watched it? I pray the Hawks can put a drubbing on Iowa State like the Hayden Fry days….just an all out murder of the ketchup and mustard
Thank you, I appreciate that. It wasn't painful at all because we won, lol! Nah really, its kind of a mixed bag of thoughts. On the one hand I saw a lot of things to be positive about mostly because there were just so many mistakes made by pretty much every player, that in my mind are correctable fairly quickly. Just executing some of these simple things better would yield a much more effective offense for sure. Also, for as bad as so many people want to criticize Brian, the plays and play-calling are pretty good as long as you judge it within the Iowa system because so many of the plays are set-up well to where it put players in positions to make plays. For instance I am sure that most football people agree that there is not a perfect play out there where your guy doesn't have to beat their guy at some point, all you can do is get your guy in a position to beat their guy. In the running game there were a lot of instances to where our RB had to just beat 1 guy, break 1 tackle, etc. and I think that is all you can ask for.

Now on the other hand when I step back and take my Iowa glasses off you see how truly challenged this offense is. Even if everyone on the offense executed at a higher level, that higher level is pretty low compared to the upper tier of teams that are winning championships as their floors are higher than our ceiling. This style of offense is never going to be great and probably not even good, we just hope it is good enough, but, it doesn't mean we can't win games. I also gain a lot of respect for Brian because his job is really hard because he has to plan and scheme and earn every yard we gain, whereas there are a lot of OC's out there that get a lot more praise while doing way less because they have elite playmakers that make it happen.

This is big boy football. No matter how good your OL is, there are going to be plays where you're rushed, where you have rushers getting within a few yards of you in the pocket. If you can't deal with that and still execute with quick thought processing and accurate throws, you don't belong at this level. Some people are implying that if he doesn't have 5 seconds of zero pressure every time he drops back, then it's not his fault that he sucks, it's the fault of the OL.
He usually has 3 seconds or less in the pocket. He is good about staying in the pocket and not backing up too deep.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
No. The jury is not still out. Padilla is not a good QB. Seriously....given how badly Petras has been, do you REALLY think Padilla would still be on the bench if he was even serviceable at the position. Good grief, man.
Never said AP was good, but he certainly hasn't been afforded the same opportunity as SP, and we haven't seen him play yet this season.

As for the rest: are you really familiar with KF's history with the QB position?

Reactions: David1979
Never said AP was good, but he certainly hasn't been afforded the same opportunity as SP, and we haven't seen him play yet this season.

As for the rest: are you really familiar with KF's history with the QB position?
Yeah, I would say there really wasn't much of a difference between the two last year except for whatever reason guys seem to have more drops with Padilla, but that isn't on him.

Doyle has nothing to do with it
Oh look, another poster who likes to imply that former players are liars.

Doyle played OL, coached OL and according to former players who supposedly can’t tell the truth, spent more time with the OL than any other position group.

I don’t think it’s all about lacking Doyle. But I think it absolutely is a factor.

Doyle played OL, coached OL and according to former players who supposedly can’t tell the truth, spent more time with the OL than any other position group.

I don’t think it’s all about lacking Doyle. But I think it absolutely is a factor.
The OL under Doyle were bad to.

This is just dumb. Who am I calling a liar?
Some people, including former players have built Doyle into some type of mythical god that built every player into an unstoppable force of destruction. There is absolutely no evidence that Doyle leaving has anything to do with it. Guys are still setting new records under Braithwaite. And believe it or not, there were plenty of times there were issues with the OL when Doyle was here. Not only that, but Doyle doesn't teach the offense or blocking fundamentals.
And let me get this straight, TE is good, RB is good, basically the whole defense is good but somehow Doyle leaving only affects the OL. Please explain. I would love to know what part of what you saw against SDSU was because Doyle is gone.

No you didn't say AP was good. However...you did say "the jury was out". Wrong. The jury is NOT out, he is NOT a good QB.

Am I familiar with KF's history? You bet I am, and that's a moot point. As I mentioned before, Padilla has been given ample opportunity in a number of games and in practice to show that he can effectively perform in a way that will give the team a better chance to win consistently. He was not able to do that. Now stop saying dumb shit like "the jury is out" with respect to Padilla. He is what he is and he is what he has shown. He didn't "magically" get faster/quicker, more fleet of foot, more elusive, etc. And, he didn't "magically" start throwing a better more accurate ball.

We don't have good QBs currently on this roster. This season, we'll need to focus on having the QB be a game manager, avoid bad mistakes....and concentrate on improving our line play and run game. I don't like it...in fact I think it sucks. I do, however, think it is the reality.

Reactions: TRE 12
n
Just because the topic relates to rewatch ... my focus was more on the D ...

Morsels I found interesting
  • DL played 9 guys ... past the 2-deeps Louie Stec was the 9th guy in
  • Van Ness was "deployed" ... he played on the interior AND at both DE spots
  • When Jacobs was in ... the LBs were being schemed as if they were nearly interchangeable parts. Benson was lined up on the LOS like a LEO on a number of downs ... with Jacobs playing the WILL. Similarly, when we went 4-2 ... Jacobs was staying on the field too.
  • As most noted ... DeJean was a starting CB for us.
  • Terry Roberts was the first extra DB in ... he acquitted himself VERY well through the game.
  • DeJean and Roberts "popped out" to me in run-support
  • Schulte was as "present" in the run-support as I would have expected ... but he as arguably better against the pass than I expected
  • On third and longs, we mostly kept our DTs in (didn't use our pass-rush package too much)
Good stuff! I am really hoping for Quinn to have a great year because his uncle is a neighbor/friend. Funny enough, his uncle is an ISU fan despite his two nephews (and actually his son for one year) have been Hawkeyes. My family me Quinn very briefly over the summer and he was an incredibly nice/polite young man. So enjoyed seeing him have a good first game and hope he keeps it up.

The OL under Doyle were bad to.
Not like this. 2007 was bad, but that line blows 2021 & 2022 (so far) out of the water. Again, I think it’s more to do with the position coach, but it’s a pretty strong correlation that losing a guy who played and coached OL before becoming a strength coach gets fired, and OL play suffers. Recruiting misses have ABSOLUTELY been a factor too, but the individual development is troubling. 3rd and 4th year players are getting handled in ways we’re not used to seeing.

This is just dumb. Who am I calling a liar?
Some people, including former players have built Doyle into some type of mythical god that built every player into an unstoppable force of destruction. There is absolutely no evidence that Doyle leaving has anything to do with it. Guys are still setting new records under Braithwaite. And believe it or not, there were plenty of times there were issues with the OL when Doyle was here. Not only that, but Doyle doesn't teach the offense or blocking fundamentals.
And let me get this straight, TE is good, RB is good, basically the whole defense is good but somehow Doyle leaving only affects the OL. Please explain. I would love to know what part of what you saw against SDSU was because Doyle is gone.
Never did I say it was all because of Doyle. But given Doyle’s background, what former players have said about the amount of time he spent with that group (in practice and on the sidelines), the mental aspect/attitude of the position, is it that hard to see how his departure could affect them negatively?

I think Brathwaite has done great, and I don’t think we’re any worse off with him in charge. Guys are clearly responding, and that’s awesome! So, anything I’m talking about here is not a shot at him in any way.

None of us know the inner workings of what goes on inside the program. But, we get enough tidbits here and there to put some pieces together. In my opinion, his departure has hurt the OL. You don’t share that opinion. Fine with me.

n

Good stuff! I am really hoping for Quinn to have a great year because his uncle is a neighbor/friend. Funny enough, his uncle is an ISU fan despite his two nephews (and actually his son for one year) have been Hawkeyes. My family me Quinn very briefly over the summer and he was an incredibly nice/polite young man. So enjoyed seeing him have a good first game and hope he keeps it up.
Xavier Saints baby.

Reactions: owenhawk
Not like this. 2007 was bad, but that line blows 2021 & 2022 (so far) out of the water. Again, I think it’s more to do with the position coach, but it’s a pretty strong correlation that losing a guy who played and coached OL before becoming a strength coach gets fired, and OL play suffers. Recruiting misses have ABSOLUTELY been a factor too, but the individual development is troubling. 3rd and 4th year players are getting handled in ways we’re not used to seeing.
What about the 2017 OL the 2009 OL was bad also. Injuries are playing a bigger role than the coach.

NCHawkeye24: Your observations concerning the offensive line are correct, BUT you fail to see the obvious implication of these observations.

It is that #7, as a consequence of poor pocket presence and a laughable lack of quickness, exacerbates this offensive line‘s deficiencies. And, unfortunately, there is no fixing his lack of pocket presence and quickness.

With this offensive line, #7 is a horrible fit. Iowa needs to move on from #7 and attempt to find a QB on the roster with qualities that mesh better with this offensive line. Someone who can, at least on occasion, escape a bad situation and then make a play.
So, you mean a guy that has the ability to improvise when the play breaks down. Perhaps the very guy that kF said was talented but tends to off script to much? Labas?

Its funny that our perceived solution to this problem is KF’s antithesis to the position. More and more I can not stand watching this team play. Our offensive philosophy is stuck in the 1990’s and our skill position recruits reflect that. If it wasn’t for the soft ass big ten west schedule KF would have been gone years ago.

If Doyle actually coached the Hawk OL, that would be an NCAA violation.

If Doyle actually coached the Hawk OL, that would be an NCAA violation.
Well he was on the sideline performing coaching duties during games. He was very active dealing with players and getting special teams ready to go on the sidelines. He may not have been making any calls, but he was there in the box.

Minnesota uses a lot of zone but I would argue there is a big difference from Iowa because they run so much RPO.
The play book is relatively simple. The decision making for the QB is fairly prescribed.
In an RPO system, the QB reads the reaction of a linebacker or DB to run action. If the “read” reacts to the run, the QB pulls the ball and throws to a receiver who is in the vacated space. If Iowa ran that system and the “read” stayed in their zone, the ball would be handed off and the runner would be stuffed because our offensive line is not very good at the present time. Systems are important, but adequate blocking trumps that every single time.

Reactions: owenhawk
No you didn't say AP was good. However...you did say "the jury was out". Wrong. The jury is NOT out, he is NOT a good QB.

Am I familiar with KF's history? You bet I am, and that's a moot point. As I mentioned before, Padilla has been given ample opportunity in a number of games and in practice to show that he can effectively perform in a way that will give the team a better chance to win consistently. He was not able to do that. Now stop saying dumb shit like "the jury is out" with respect to Padilla. He is what he is and he is what he has shown. He didn't "magically" get faster/quicker, more fleet of foot, more elusive, etc. And, he didn't "magically" start throwing a better more accurate ball.

We don't have good QBs currently on this roster. This season, we'll need to focus on having the QB be a game manager, avoid bad mistakes....and concentrate on improving our line play and run game. I don't like it...in fact I think it sucks. I do, however, think it is the reality.
Hate to break it to you, but guess which QB will be first off the bench? A series? quarter? half? a game? The jury is going to give you more whether you like it or not. Now stop acting like your opinion matters.

Well he was on the sideline performing coaching duties during games. He was very active dealing with players and getting special teams ready to go on the sidelines. He may not have been making any calls, but he was there in the box.
I suppose he could engage in motivation and relay information, but the NCAA limits the number of coaches who can work directly with players regarding football.

Why don't you tell us what you think to be KF's history? I'm guessing it involves: the actual lie that Banks should have started; the distorted version of the 2 games, and not even complete games at that, in the Stanzi over Jake C; and the CJ v Jake Ruddock, which is generally born of distortion as well.

But, I don't want to put words in your mouth, so let the group know the specifics in KF's history of QBs that you think is damning.

That's really not the big picture, though. Spencer was terrible to start the NW game because he suffered a serious injury the weak before. He was game to go but clearly couldn't throw the ball by even his low standards.

Alex did come in an immediately improve the position - in that game. However, Alex was bad against Minnesota, unplayable bad at Illinois and the half he played at Nebraska. Under .500, and in those games way under .500. @TDs and two interceptions, all season.

The "evasive" and "mobile" aspects were a myth. Alex did not have a single run longer than 6 yards all season. He wouldn't run when presented with a wide open field.

Petras wasn't good by any means, and isn't good but there is no real fact based reason to think Padilla was better than Petras. Of course, at this point I'd rather see Joe Labas playing on Saturday than either of Petras or Padilla but I'd settle for another experiment with Padilla rather than see Petras.
Any qb is more mobile than Petras. I am more mobile than Petras. I am old.

Hate to break it to you, but guess which QB will be first off the bench? A series? quarter? half? a game? The jury is going to give you more whether you like it or not. Now stop acting like your opinion matters.
Good grief, you must be stupid. When or where did I ever say something to suggest that Padilla wouldn't be the first off the bench to come in as a substitute for Petras? That doesn't mean "the jury is still out" on Padilla. Now shut the hell up...and go replace your raggy tampon.

• Haha
Reactions: citizenHawk
Good grief, you must be stupid. When or where did I ever say something to suggest that Padilla wouldn't be the first off the bench to come in as a substitute for Petras? That doesn't mean "the jury is still out" on Padilla. Now shut the hell up...and go replace your raggy tampon.
Well, you are simply a bucket of sunshine! So glad you are a Hawkeye fan. Enjoy the season.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
I hate to see Iowa fans argue like this. We all know the offense is bad and there are numerous reasons for it. You can pick apart one thing or another but the bottom line is it’s not working and really hasn’t for quite a while. Things aren’t going to automatically get better overnight, it’s going to take time, better recruiting and better coaching. Can we do it is the question? I personally have my doubts but those are mine. I’m hoping for the best because I always do but not getting my hopes up too high.

Reactions: aurorabimmer
Any qb is more mobile than Petras. I am more mobile than Petras. I am old.
Yes, Petras is a statute. But "mobility" is not a necessarily a virtue. Alex has shown himself no more mobile than Petras. They were sacked at around the same rate. Alex had a long run of six yards. So how does Alex's perceived mobility benefit the team? Mobility is only important if it improves the position. From what we've seen, Alex does not improve the position.

However, productive mobility is of great value. That's why I'm a Joe Labas man. I think he is very much a dual threat. Joe is exactly the guy we want.

ADVERTISEMENT