ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds plays the race card

Todd Dorman
Sep. 26, 2022 3:03 pm, Updated: Sep. 27, 2022 7:44 am

In Gov. Kim Reynolds’ latest TV ad, she is sitting in a coffee shop, watching Missouri U.S. Rep. Cori Bush say, ” And defunding the police has to happen.”

In case you were wondering @Hoosierhawkeye Cori Bush is not an "ordinary citizen".

Nope, she is a black woman from a highly conservative state that, for some "unknown" reason, is being used in political ads in Iowa.
Ok. Great. Not sure what that has to do with what I said to Hoosier.

You must be pissed at Gavin Newsom running ads about DeSantis and Florida, all the way across the country like that.

Only if you don't believe this:

Reynolds and her team know exactly what they’re doing.

It's an old trick and easy to spot by those who cover politics for decades (as Dorman has). Methinks you are a bit naiive.
Oh, I know exactly what she’s doing too. She’s pandering to people’s base fears. Every politician and political party does it.

The “race card” angle is not the primary message: lawlessness and anti-police rhetoric is. And frankly, now that economic angst isn’t as pervasive as it was a few months ago, this is about the only play the Republicans have that is effective in swaying both their base and moderates. That, and illegal immigration.

Forget the ad what down deep really burns the "woke" crowd is that Kim Reynolds will be re-elected and probably in a landslide!!!
Under Reynolds education has gone down, water has gotten worse, small towns continue to dry up, and young people are leaving in droves.

I get that you love her because she's conservative, but her results are mediocre to bad.

Oh, I know exactly what she’s doing too. She’s pandering to people’s base fears. Every politician and political party does it.

The “race card” angle is not the primary message: lawlessness and anti-police rhetoric is. And frankly, now that economic angst isn’t as pervasive as it was a few months ago, this is about the only play the Republicans have that is effective in swaying both their base and moderates. That, and illegal immigration.
Yes, she is being deplorable and preying on xenophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-black fears of Iowa voters. This is no different than the opponents of public transportation warning about "Chicago people" taking over Davenport and Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.

And where I'm from, normal, well-educated people find that deplorable.

Missouri is increasing their funding of their police. That state is the opposite of being anti police. So why is Reynolds fear mongering about them?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Damn, you're bad at this.

These US cities defunded police: ‘We’re transferring money to the community’​

More than 20 major cities have reduced police budgets in some form, and activists are fighting to ensure that is only the start

Aha, so now the actual intended meaning of the phrase appears to be understood?

Reactions: torbee
Lol. It’s funny when people like Northern pose this idea as if it’s a threat or so disconcerting. 😆
I ain't going anywhere.

First of all, Davenport is blessedly not beset by MAGAs. Secondly, the urban areas in this state will drag the rest of these mouthbreathers kicking and screaming into the 21st Century eventually.

Yes, she is being deplorable and preying on xenophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-black fears of Iowa voters. This is no different than the opponents of public transportation warning about "Chicago people" taking over Davenport and Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.

And where I'm from, normal, well-educated people find that deplorable.
Do you know that for sure? Because here’s the problem I have: an entire liberal movement was started two years ago in which race was front and center in the form of BLM. Attached to that movement were unpopular ideas, which included defunding the police. So, you can’t attach controversial ideas to a political movement explicitly predicated on race then say it’s “playing the race card” when a politician offers a repudiation in the form of political rhetoric and polemics that’s within the normal realm of partisan pissing matches.

In short, that is not proof of what she’s being accused of.

I ain't going anywhere.

First of all, Davenport is blessedly not beset by MAGAs. Secondly, the urban areas in this state will drag the rest of these mouthbreathers kicking and screaming into the 21st Century eventually.
Yeah, but it’s cold AF in Iowa. 🥶

Missouri is increasing their funding of their police. That state is the opposite of being anti police. So why is Reynolds fear mongering about them?
Because she’s a politician and politicians lie and distort the truth for their own political gain.

Nope, she is a black woman from a highly conservative state that, for some "unknown" reason, is being used in political ads in Iowa.
You might have missed my earlier post, this should explain why Bush is being used in the ad;

Maybe it's because Cory Bush was the only leftist Reynolds could find honest and dumb enough to actually say out loud what most democrats actually believe and would and have supported regarding defunding the police.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Only the left plays the race card, as demonstrated by the post. Black person in an ad makes them think it has be about race

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
She's a racist as is most of the inbred hillbilly uneducated white trash population of Iowa. How is this a surprise, at all?

Look at the Ashley Hinson ad with all the white moms. The tag line is Ashley is one of us. Hitler would be proud. Iowa is a shithole and I've decided to move.
  1. Please post pics of the MILFs in the Hinson ad for us to rank.
  2. Hinson probably would have been called out if she had used black or brown moms in her ad.
  3. How soon are you moving? Does this mean your lab and office will be vacated? My company needs more space.
  4. Political ads are SOTE. I hope that I never believe any of them.

1. Please post pics of the MILFs in the Hinson ad for us to rank.
  2. Hinson probably would have been called out if she had used black or brown moms in her ad.
  3. How soon are you moving? Does this mean your lab and office will be vacated? My company needs more space.
  4. Political ads are SOTE. I hope that I never believe any of them.
There's plenty of space across the other side of the street and in the general vicinity. Have Frank and Mike or you can talk to Stephanie. Many of your coworkers are sadly loud and annoying; some aren't but most are. You guys really need your own building. This doesn't mean you but some of your peeps.

Last edited:
In Iowa it's the young and smart people leaving. For your preferred politics, I'm sure that's a good thing. For rational people who would like to see this state progress and prosper, it's terrible.

I know many, many young smart people choosing to take up residence in the state of Iowa,.. I also see many past Iowans returning to a place that they left and grew to miss,.. Sorry that your life sucks.

Do you know that for sure? Because here’s the problem I have: an entire liberal movement was started two years ago in which race was front and center in the form of BLM. Attached to that movement were unpopular ideas, which included defunding the police. So, you can’t attach controversial ideas to a political movement explicitly predicated on race then say it’s “playing the race card” when a politician offers a repudiation in the form of political rhetoric and polemics that’s within the normal realm of partisan pissing matches.

In short, that is not proof of what she’s being accused of.
Except for the thinly veiled tropes, of course.

Reactions: torbee
Forget the ad what down deep really burns the "woke" crowd is that Kim Reynolds will be re-elected and probably in a landslide!!!

It doesn't burn, it just reassures what I've always thought, there's a whole lot of ignorant people in Iowa, including many in my family. What's interesting is, my parents weren't that way but they lived in multiple states and were more well rounded. My siblings (and their kids), not so much. They've spent their whole lives within a few mile radius. I see the ignorance in their statements and their views.

Reactions: blhawk
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Please, make sure you move to a blue state so you don't try and ruin another state with your racist, anti American ideas.
Yeah because those red states rock. I'd hate to ruin West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. They are economic powerhouses like the states of California, Washington, Massachusetts, etc.

The complete lack of awareness by those who live in red states would be amusing if you didn't vote.

Some of you people are really ignorant. Diversity isn't just a black and white thing.
You’re correct. Is that deliberate or accidental?
Diversity includes all Persons of all heritages and colors and ethnicities and sexes and ages.
When they leave their workplace at the end of the workday they may have diverse viewpoints and life experiences that have shaped who they are. You may never know what that is - just as they may never know yours.
As long as you and they understand that you both have a right to your respective lifestyles and outlooks it works.
No one should be ridiculed, disparaged, threatened or “canceled” because they see things differently than one group or another.

Yeah because those red states rock. I'd hate to ruin West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. They are economic powerhouses like the states of California, Washington, Massachusetts, etc.

The complete lack of awareness by those who live in red states would be amusing if you didn't vote.

What’s amusing is your misinformed take on who is and who is not lacking in awareness. Not only amusing but smug and entirely provincial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT