ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds plays the race card

Todd Dorman
Sep. 26, 2022 3:03 pm, Updated: Sep. 27, 2022 7:44 am

In Gov. Kim Reynolds’ latest TV ad, she is sitting in a coffee shop, watching Missouri U.S. Rep. Cori Bush say, ” And defunding the police has to happen.”

“Watching the news, you have to wonder, has the rest of the country lost its mind?” Reynolds says, turning away from the screen.

Bush is a Black woman, but she is not the Black woman running against Reynolds. Her Democratic opponent is businesswoman Deidre DeJear. Bush made her remarks in August 2021. Is this some sort of weird old TV news clips-themed coffee shop? Sounds Bites and Beans? Steaming Hot Takes?

Advertisement

So have the governor and her campaign lost their minds?

No, of course not. Reynolds and her team know exactly what they’re doing.

They know what they’re doing when they put a Black female face on TV calling for defunding police, even though DeJear hasn’t said she supports defunding police.

They know what they’re doing when they follow up that deceptive moment with scary rhetoric about attacks on police, open borders and “paying people not to work,” with a big welfare sign.

Even though Reynolds has the political deck heavily stacked in her favor as she seeks re-election, the governor and her team just couldn’t resist playing the race card. They had to drag out racist tropes and dog whistles about the lawless, lazy and dangerous other. Shameful, but not surprising.

“Aren’t you glad you live in Iowa?” The governor asks in the ad. “Here we still have common sense.”

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

Apparently, common sense is demonizing immigrants while leading a state with a severe, chronic shortage of workers.

Common sense is looking down at people on public assistance, maybe from a flight paid for by one of the governor’s many wealthy donors.

Common sense is slapping a “defund the police” label on any effort to address racial disparities and discrimination still plaguing our justice system.

It didn’t have to be this way. Maybe you remember that optimistic moment in 2020 when the Legislature unanimously approved a modest but important package of policing reforms amid protests over the murder of George Floyd by Minneapolis police. The governor signed the bill into law under a brilliant sunny sky on the Capitol steps, surrounded by social justice advocates and lawmakers.

“To the thousands of Iowans who have taken to the streets calling for reforms to address inequalities faced by people of color in our state, I want you to know this is not the end of our work. It is just the beginning,” Reynolds told the diverse crowd that day.

But almost exactly a year later, Reynolds signed “back the blue” legislation in front of a line of law enforcement officers. The bill leveled new, more severe penalties at protesters, such as the ones who took to the streets in 2020. The governors’ advice to those protesters in 2021?

"Don’t break the law and it won’t apply to you," Reynolds said.

Reynolds proposed a bill in 2021 banning racial profiling while collecting data. Lawmakers scrapped it. She put up no fight to save it.

Iowa Republicans are once again following the lead of Donald Trump, who sought to transform protests calling for racial justice into a dark menace that would inevitably sack the suburbs. The governor is choosing fear over hope. It makes no sense, but it’s become very common in Iowa.

Seems to me that YOU are the only one dragging race in to this. Accountability is accountability.

Does anyone else get a overall positive feeling from this discussion? Throughout the Trump years there was a concern that Trump was normalizing deplorable behavior. His MAGA base, previously in the dark was now uncovered and didn't have to be quiet anymore. They could say the quiet parts out loud. Have something to say about Muslims, or shithole countries, or feel certain people should go back to their country? No problem.

To a large degree, I think Trump did lower the decency bar, and he revealed a lot about his base.

That said, look around this thread. It looks like a consensus among conservative posters that racism is bad. Some are even willing to allege that it's actually the liberals who are racists. You know they think racism is bad if they're accusing Team Blue of being the racists.

That strikes me as a good thing.

I'm aware of the concept of a dog whistle, but at least on this board, none of the purported dogs are acknowledging it.

Conservatives are less racist than ever. As is the country. Trump didn't change the trajectory there. (or any other bits of social progress -- really... in fact, he probably aided some of it through stirring up resistence) Signal noise problem a lot of people have, IMO.

What changed is that everybody suddenly got to see what everybody else was saying and thinking -- and in a context where almost all discussions were compromised by crazy partisan tribalism.

Police are another example. Do we want to think policing has any more problems than it used to? Is it more racist? No. Through social media we got a glimpse into a world we usually don't.

This board loves to fight over political topics... but it ain't as extreme as some would like to believe it is. Very few die-hard MAGA or woke types -- our popular political extremes of the moment. (at least after spending time on twitter and taking in social media + politics in general)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
There are good folks in Iowa, yes. But that number is steadily dwindling.

I have some hardcore Trump friends that still live there but I always bow out whenever they want to talk politics or say something insensitive.
Same here. It is more fun on an anonymous message board…

Honestly, I started to notice the shift after Iowa voted for Obama. Growing up, I hardly ever heard racist tropes and slurs. After 2008, I think the racists who were on the quieter side started becoming more vocal and more influential. Good people and young professionals started leaving in droves while the elderly and shit-for-brains, small-town lifers stayed put. The results speak for themselves.
I experienced this too, then Trump completely exposed/exploited the ugly truth about that state's electorate. Tons of examples on HROT of people who felt empowered by Trump's bigotry and divisiveness...its why he became a cult hero to so many. Just look at the county electoral map in Iowa in the Obama elections and Trump's to see his impact. Truly sad as someone who was once proud to be from there

Conservatives are less racist than ever.
False.

Police are another example. Do we want to think policing has any more problems than it used to? Is it more racist? No. Through social media we got a glimpse into a world we usually don't.
I agree.

This board loves to fight over political topics... but it ain't as extreme as some would like to believe it is. Very few die-hard MAGA or woke types -- our popular political extremes of the moment. (at least after spending time on twitter and taking in social media + politics in general)

I agree.

Reactions: torbee
I don’t live in Iowa anymore but after reading some of the responses in this thread I can imagine that you felt your decision to leave was validated.

I grew up in Iowa and have always believed it to be a place of tolerance and integrity, where small town and progressive values could successfully coexist. Unfortunately I could not have been more wrong.

Iowans are not nice people, and never have been. Maybe they did a better job of playing along with the charade of “Midwestern Nice” prior to Trump, but the gloves are off and Iowans are showing their true colors like never before.

Iowans by and large don’t care about their state, their town, or even their neighbors. They care only about themselves and how make themselves better, or perhaps more accurately, look better than their cohorts. This is evidenced by the decline of the state’s public school system, the health care system, infrastructure, and many other things that Iowans once took great pride in.

Living in Alabama, I can now say with a straight face that the quality of life here is better than in Iowa in many - if not most - respects. There is plenty of ignorance and corruption to be had here, but thankfully football still divides the state more than politics. I never thought the day would come where Alabama is legitimately the better state, but here we are.

I have been hoping and praying that maybe Iowa will finally get its second coming of Robert Ray and make Iowa respectable again. However I just don’t see that happening, and ignorance and fear will continue to plague the state for the long run I’m afraid.

I hope you find your happy place whether it’s Seattle, Atlanta, or whatever. I always thought you were an alright dude. Iowa never deserved you anyway.
Thanks for moving away. You could not be more wrong about the small Iowa community I live in.

I experienced this too, then Trump completely exposed/exploited the ugly truth about that state's electorate. Tons of examples on HROT of people who felt empowered by Trump's bigotry and divisiveness...its why he became a cult hero to so many. Just look at the county electoral map in Iowa in the Obama elections and Trump's to see his impact. Truly sad as someone who was once proud to be from there
I agree. I used to be proud of being from Iowa, but I haven’t felt that way in many years. It’s sad what has happened to this once great state.

Thanks for moving away. You could not be more wrong about the small Iowa community I live in.
Lol. I love the “Curly Bill” crowd of Iowans. As if those who left the state are missing out. 😝🤪🙄

You are so welcome, dipshit. You enjoy freezing your ass off this winter and drinking from that hog-shit infested water. Cheers to you, mate.

False.

I agree.

I agree.
No, they're less racist. Everybody is. That's a longtime trend at this point.

I'm not saying republicans = conservatives.

Conservatives used to be a good portion of the democratic party. That changed back in the 70s. But it was the conservative types that were always more racist. (I'm coming at it from a personality perspective)

They're all republicans now. You could say that the republican party houses a greater percentage of racist people than it used to because of this... but that the of racism across those conservatives is down. The floor isn't nearly as low as it used to be.

Trump stirred up -- well, social media and the internet too, to a good extent -- some really racist sorts... and you got to hear from them much more easily now... but I don't think that was enough to change any overall trends.

My field is in San Diego, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco so I'm evaluating things in those markets. Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated my friend.
Ah, a lot of the places where the talented people end up... no surprise they are all predominantly blue with high property values. Well good luck on any move, you'll be a positive addition to any place you go

Reactions: GOHOX69
No, they're less racist. Everybody is. That's a longtime trend at this point.

I'm not saying republicans = conservatives.

Conservatives used to be a good portion of the democratic party. That changed back in the 70s. But it was the conservative types that were always more racist. (I'm coming at it from a personality perspective)

They're all republicans now. You could say that the republican party houses a greater percentage of racist people than it used to because of this... but that the of racism across those conservatives is down.

Trump stirred up -- well, social media and the internet too, to a good extent -- some really racist sorts... and you got to hear from them much more easily now... but I don't think that was enough to change any overall trends.
Okay, this I also agree with. Mostly. Because, as you rightly pointed out, it used to be the liberals who were highly racist. That trend has flipped.

Yes, in general, racism has improved dramatically from the good old days of the 1950s, but there has still been an ebb and flow pattern despite drastic improvements over the last sixty years.

Lol. I love the “Curly Bill” crowd of Iowans. As if those who left the state are missing out. 😝🤪🙄

You are so welcome, dipshit. You enjoy freezing your ass off this winter and drinking from that hog-shit infested water. Cheers to you, mate.
You also make it sound as if we are “missing out” on your presence. If you don’t want to be here because it is cold a Dem Governor isn’t going to change that, meathead. I drink crystal clear water from my spigot everyday. Enjoy wherever it is you call home because I am glad it is not here.

Ah, a lot of the places where the talented people end up... no surprise they are all predominantly blue with high property values. Well good luck on any move, you'll be a positive addition to any place you go
Thank you.

So a fetus is a reproductive organ?
I do know that a woman's fetus is certainly none of your goddamn business. Regardless of how perfect you think you are and how flawless your thought process might be....it simply is NONE of your business. If it is...then by God, bear the (tax) responsibility to raise that child, provide it insurance, guarantee its schooling, and its health and welfare. If you are NOT willing to do so, please shut your mouth.

I’m claiming NO SUCH THING, and if you interpreted it as such then I see why this country is in trouble.

Maybe I misunderstood, but the statement below is what concerned me because it doesn't work if someone's lifestyle leads to shooting a black guy jogging down the street. We have to be careful not to accept bad behavior.

"As long as you and they understand that you both have a right to your respective lifestyles and outlooks it works."

Just so we're clear, and I know this will piss off the magats, I'm still on contract and need to put into service some very high tech equipment. And oh yeah, I have sane friends from both sides of the political aisle. And yes, I look forward to meeting some of you in real life and have met one and he's a fine dude. I just think the state is being hijacked for a narrow agenda and ultimately that will backfire for all Iowans regardless of political ideology. That's the real true tragedy. You magats are being played. Badly.

Reactions: nelly02
Okay, this I also agree with. Mostly. Because, as you rightly pointed out, it used to be the liberals who were highly racist. That trend has flipped.

Yes, in general, racism has improved dramatically from the good old days of the 1950s, but there has still been an ebb and flow pattern despite drastic improvements over the last sixty years.
Eh, I think you mean democrats, not liberals. But yeah...

The ebb and flow thing... I guess I don't know how far into the minutia you'd have to go, but I guess I haven't seen it on this issue in recent years.

My biggest worry where a backslide is concerned is that we could undue progress in using identity as a political volley or cudgel. Because of this you could start to see discrimination towards a type of person because that type of person is associated strongly with a political party.

(it's not that they're gay -- it's that all the gays are democrats and democrats are evil... type thinking... that could undue progress)

Just so we're clear, and I know this will piss off the magats, I'm still on contract and need to put into service some very high tech equipment. And oh yeah, I have sane friends from both sides of the political aisle. And yes, I look forward to meeting some of you in real life and have met one and he's a fine dude. I just think the state is being hijacked for a narrow agenda and ultimately that will backfire for all Iowans regardless of political ideology. That's the real true tragedy. You magats are being played. Badly.
Iowans love to get ambushed and then point their collective finger at the wrong person! The typical Iowan is the frog sitting in the pot of slowly boiling water over a fire, wondering aloud, "What's for dinner?"

Another thing about libs, they sure think they are smarter than everyone else. Thems some purty big wurds for just a dummed old Iowegian to unnerstand
I’m not a lib.

And yes, I’m quite happy that a bunch of degenerative rednecks don’t miss me. It’s when trashy people consider my departure a loss that I’ll worry.

Again, I’m glad you enjoy living in a shithole state. You enjoy that. I, and the rest of western civilization, are happy for you.

Oh, and if the slang expression “rectal cranial inversion” is too complex for you to understand, then, yes, rest assured, you are an idiot.

No offense. Nite.

Eh, I think you mean democrats, not liberals. But yeah...

The ebb and flow thing... I guess I don't know how far into the minutia you'd have to go, but I guess I haven't seen it on this issue in recent years.

My biggest worry where a backslide is concerned is that we could undue progress in using identity as a political volley or cudgel. Because of this you could start to see discrimination towards a type of person because that type of person is associated strongly with a political party.

(it's not that they're gay -- it's that all the gays are democrats and democrats are evil... type thinking... that could undue progress)
You have an uncommon clarity of thinking.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I’m not a lib.

And yes, I’m quite happy that a bunch of degenerative rednecks don’t miss me. It’s when trashy people consider my departure a loss that I’ll worry.

Again, I’m glad you enjoy living in a shithole state. You enjoy that. I, and the rest of western civilization, are happy for you.

Oh, and if the slang expression “rectal cranial inversion” is too complex for you to understand, then, yes, rest assured, you are an idiot.

No offense. Nite.
Since Iowa schools use picture books to teach, allow me to elucidate.

11327441.jpg

The frog that started in the cool water never notices the boil until it’s too late.

Get out more.
The frog that started in the cool water never notices the boil until it’s too late.

Get out more.
Iowans love to get ambushed and then point their collective finger at the wrong person! The typical Iowan is the frog sitting in the pot of slowly boiling water over a fire, wondering aloud, "What's for dinner?"
Jesus two frog references back to back. You guys the same person using different handles or what?

I do know that a woman's fetus is certainly none of your goddamn business. Regardless of how perfect you think you are and how flawless your thought process might be....it simply is NONE of your business. If it is...then by God, bear the (tax) responsibility to raise that child, provide it insurance, guarantee its schooling, and its health and welfare. If you are NOT willing to do so, please shut your mouth.

“…a woman’s fetus…”…like, her property?

ADVERTISEMENT