ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Pitino, Junior

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
Hired as head coach at the University of Minnesota in April, 2013.

2013-14..... 25-13, 8-10, 7th B10, NIT (Champions)
2014-15..... 18-15, 6-12, 10th B10
2015-16..... 8-23, 2-16, 13th B10
2016-17..... 24-10, 11-7, 4th B10, NCAA Rd1
2017-18..... 15-16, 4-14, 11th B10

Totals ..... Overall 89-75 (.543), B10 30-57 (.345).

Pitino replaced Tubby Smith who had 3 NCAA tourneys and 2 NIT appearances in his 6 years as HC for the Gophers. In 5 years, Pitino has a worse overall record, a worse B10 record, one top 5 conference finish, and just one NCAA tourney to go along with an NIT invite.

When do they cut him loose?

In addition to his record, the Gophers have had a number of player scandals under his leadership and Pitino himself was implicated in an embarrassing travel budget and expense fiasco.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Lil Ricky has brought almost as much trouble to Minnesota as Clem Haskins led the Gophers into without none of the results. Clem took the Gophers to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and the Final Four in his 13 years. In addition, he won two NIT Championships.

Pitino replaced Tubby Smith who had 3 NCAA tourneys and 2 NIT appearances in his 6 years as HC for the Gophers. In 5 years, Pitino has a worse overall record, a worse B10 record, one top 5 conference finish, and just one NCAA tourney to go along with an NIT invite.

In addition to his record, the Gophers have had a number of player scandals under his leadership and Pitino himself was implicated in an embarrassing travel budget and expense fiasco.
If he had Barta as his AD he'd be safe for at least another 7 years ...

If they fire him in the next year or two, I wonder if they’d look at the Drake coach. He’s an alum.

If they fire him in the next year or two, I wonder if they’d look at the Drake coach. He’s an alum.
They’ll look at Nico or Musselman. I think Musselman gets the nod. If Pitino’s buyout is too big then they go for Niko. Niko may leave in’ 18 or ‘19 for a better school so mn should plan this accordingly.

Wow 31-59 in B10 play I really thought his win percentage would be around 40 percent not 34 percent. He’s definitely IMO the worse coach in the B10 given the talent he has had.

I think the difficult decision for the administration there (just in terms of "can he coach us up") is that last year they played really well and looked really good down the stretch. They had a very strong team coming back until injuries and legal issues cost them at least two of their stars...........So, they could/should have been really good this year.

If it were me I would probably find a way to dump him because of a concern for scandal and the need for success. Early returns on the Drake coach seem pretty positive.

He will get at least one more year. With the players coming back the Gophers should be better next year. If they falter again, he will be gone.

His BIG record is actually 31-59, but the percentage is about the same.

Fran was at the point in his deal where are extension was reasonable- I have no idea why they gave one to Pitino in year 3 only to give him another last year.

He will get at least one more year. With the players coming back the Gophers should be better next year. If they falter again, he will be gone.

Agree should be better. But I don't think they'll be good enough to make the tourney and could see next being his last. This year lost lynch to suspension and coffey to injury who will back. But Mason graduating will be a big loss. Murphy the double double machine will be back but not be interesting how the gophers amongst many other teams like Iowa and Illinois bounce back after a rough season.

Agree should be better. But I don't think they'll be good enough to make the tourney and could see next being his last. This year lost lynch to suspension and coffey to injury who will back. But Mason graduating will be a big loss. Murphy the double double machine will be back but not be interesting how the gophers amongst many other teams like Iowa and Illinois bounce back after a rough season.

The Reggie Lynch thing is very "Pitino". My daughter attends the U of M and went to a rival high school of Lynch's. It was widely known that he was a sexual predator...girls made it a point to stay away from him and alert each other if he showed up at a party. A number of schools wouldn't look at him as a result.

Pitino took the dude anyway and it cost him.

Losing Lynch killed the Goofers defensively. Hard to feel bad for a team that recruits kids with questionable off court behavior. They will also miss Mason a lot, but the frosh (Washington?) looked like a really good player with a lot of offensive game. I don't know their recruiting class, but they are going to have to outscore teams with the starters coming back. That usually doesn't work in the B1G.

Losing Lynch killed the Goofers defensively. Hard to feel bad for a team that recruits kids with questionable off court behavior. They will also miss Mason a lot, but the frosh (Washington?) looked like a really good player with a lot of offensive game. I don't know their recruiting class, but they are going to have to outscore teams with the starters coming back. That usually doesn't work in the B1G.

Yeah, they looked to be on an upward trajectory, but fell apart pretty quickly this year. (sound familiar?). Thing about Lynch is it was no secret...or something off the radar. His M.O. was widely known.

Fran has a longer track record of success (not just Iowa). Pitino does not have a history of taking other programs to the top of their conference and to the NCAA tournament.
If you mean the top half of the conference, I can agree with this. Granted,Fran has also taken several schools to NCAA, but if you look at Iowa, there are comparisons, IMO. However, I believe 4th is his highest finish for regular season and he hasn't sniffed the championship game of the B1G tourney. Granted, he did win some NIT games, but I think Rickie can make the same claim.

The Reggie Lynch thing is very "Pitino". My daughter attends the U of M and went to a rival high school of Lynch's. It was widely known that he was a sexual predator...girls made it a point to stay away from him and alert each other if he showed up at a party. A number of schools wouldn't look at him as a result.

Pitino took the dude anyway and it cost him.
If respect for women is something you learn from your dad, then I guess the Gophers can’t be too surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT