ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Brown: Iowa will finish 8-4, lose to Iowa State

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
I don't think Iowa fans can handle another loss to Iowa State. If this happens, can you imagine the call in shows and the impact on Kinnick attendance the rest of the season?

Overall, Rick predicts an 8-4, 5-3 B1G conference record for Iowa (losses at Iowa State, at Wisconsin, at Indiana, at Nebraska).

Sorry, but losing to Iowa State and IU should not be happening. With this schedule, 10-2, 6-2 should be the minimum fans should expect.

Regarding Iowa State, Rick says this:

Iowa at Iowa State, Sept. 12

Iowa won on its last trip to Jack Trice Stadium, 27-21, and did so with an experienced set of linebackers that kept Iowa State quarterback Sam Richardson in check. Richardson played that game on a sore ankle. If he’s healthy, and if the Cyclone line can give him time to find an underrated group of receivers, it will be up to Iowa’s offense to keep up in what could be a high-scoring affair. We’ll find out how good the Hawkeye secondary is in this game. Richardson is a dual-threat weapon, and the Hawkeye defense will get good experience playing against Roberson the week before.

What Rick says: Iowa’s defense will learn some valuable lessons, and the running game will show some life. But it’s not enough to get out of Ames with a victory.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...n-against-wisconsin-pennstate-big10/32418895/

I don't think Iowa fans can handle another loss to Iowa State. If this happens, can you imagine the call in shows and the impact on Kinnick attendance the rest of the season?

Overall, Rick predicts an 8-4, 5-3 B1G conference record for Iowa (losses at Iowa State, at Wisconsin, at Indiana, at Nebraska).

Sorry, but losing to Iowa State and IU should not be happening. With this schedule, 10-2, 6-2 should be the minimum fans should expect.

Regarding Iowa State, Rick says this:

Iowa at Iowa State, Sept. 12

Iowa won on its last trip to Jack Trice Stadium, 27-21, and did so with an experienced set of linebackers that kept Iowa State quarterback Sam Richardson in check. Richardson played that game on a sore ankle. If he’s healthy, and if the Cyclone line can give him time to find an underrated group of receivers, it will be up to Iowa’s offense to keep up in what could be a high-scoring affair. We’ll find out how good the Hawkeye secondary is in this game. Richardson is a dual-threat weapon, and the Hawkeye defense will get good experience playing against Roberson the week before.

What Rick says: Iowa’s defense will learn some valuable lessons, and the running game will show some life. But it’s not enough to get out of Ames with a victory.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...n-against-wisconsin-pennstate-big10/32418895/

Why is that?

If you could offer me this outcome today, I'd take it.

Considering how pessimistic most people are, everyone should take it. Even with the poison pill of an ISU loss.

If Iowa goes 8-4 overall this year, but it includes losses to Iowa State and Indiana as brown predicts, this is going to do little to excite the fan base who have dropped their season tickets in recent years to again renew them or bring new ones in.

Listen, Iowa has what was voted the #1 weakest schedule among all Power 5 schools in 2015. Going 8-4 with that schedule is nothing outstanding; it would likely mean we would be a 5 or 6 win team against a decent schedule.

If Iowa goes 8-4 overall this year, but it includes losses to Iowa State and Indiana as brown predicts, this is going to do little to excite the fan base who have dropped their season tickets in recent years to again renew them or bring new ones in.

Listen, Iowa has what was voted the #1 weakest schedule among all Power 5 schools in 2015. Going 8-4 with that schedule is nothing outstanding; it would likely mean we would be a 5 or 6 win team against a decent schedule.

Yet, there is not one school/team from a power five conference to have played a down of football in the upcoming 2015 season. Do you truly believe that all prognostications are gospel? "Voted" the weakest schedule... give it a rest.

Let the games be played. There will be ample opportunity to beat the proverbial dead horse SOS into the ground soon enough. Jumping onto someone's best guess (vote) today is foolish at best.

Yet, there is not one school/team from a power five conference to have played a down of football in the upcoming 2015 season. Do you truly believe that all prognostications are gospel? "Voted" the weakest schedule... give it a rest.

Let the games be played. There will be ample opportunity to beat the proverbial dead horse SOS into the ground soon enough. Jumping onto someone's best guess (vote) today is foolish at best.

Youve got to start somewhere with prognostications dont you? You're the type that would be crying in his coffee if Iowa was voted as having the #1 most difficult schedule for 2015 though.

Take your black and gold glasses off buddy and have a little bit of objectivity.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Man, are you a debbie downer. There isn't a thread you don't wade into to be a whiny negative bitch. I'm sure you predict less than 8 wins, yet you scoff at 8 wins as being unimpressive.

Maybe you should find a new team if you hate the Hawkeyes and Kirk so much.

I have some objectivity and you are one of these fanatics who gets his panties in a bunch if anyone dare say anything about his beloved Hawkeyes you dont like.

Fanatics like you are the problem. You have expectations ankle high. Maybe unlike you I am someone who isn't content with a losing B1G record over the last 5 years.

Its a freaking message board...get over yourself tough guy, or maybe I should say Mr. Ultra Sensitive guy.

Yep. Just like espn claiming Alabama has the #1 schedule in the country.

Maybe that's because they over rate/rank all the SEC teams nearly every single year

Imagine if not for the playoff last year, the SEC would have absolutely added a other title

Man, are you a debbie downer. There isn't a thread you don't wade into to be a whiny negative bitch. I'm sure you predict less than 8 wins, yet you scoff at 8 wins as being unimpressive.

Maybe you should find a new team if you hate the Hawkeyes and Kirk so much.

Perhaps if you can't handle opinions that differ from your own on a freaking message board perhaps you should stay off the internet and not be an insufferable douche.

Why is it that Iowa should never lose to Iowa State?

Just from an outside perspective (Las Vegas betting odds), who has been the favorite over the last 10 years? In case you don't know the answer, Iowa has been the favorite most years. So the rest of the world knows ISU is an inferior opponent. Unfortunately, the results have not reflected that. This is why so many Iowa fans are pissed off at KF.... losing the games you are suppose to win, especially ISU!

Who is Rick brown and has he ever been wrong on a pick before?

Reactions: BXY
Who is Rick brown and has he ever been wrong on a pick before?
Covers Iowa for the register.

Yes.

As Register guys go, Rick is better than average. The writers in that sports department are an embarrassment as a whole.

Just from an outside perspective (Las Vegas betting odds), who has been the favorite over the last 10 years? In case you don't know the answer, Iowa has been the favorite most years. So the rest of the world knows ISU is an inferior opponent. Unfortunately, the results have not reflected that. This is why so many Iowa fans are pissed off at KF.... losing the games you are suppose to win, especially ISU!
That would actually be 1 of many reasons. FWIW.

Yes, I agree on both counts. I just cringe when I hear a Hawkeye fan high-horsing about/over Iowa State.
Same here. As much as I HATE it when Iowa loses to ISU in anything, they have a great public university and some very loyal fans. My brother dropped out at ISU and some of his friends (and some of my friends) graduated from ISU. My heart has opened up a little over the years. They have a tolerable small town with a great water supply and good things are happening there. That's not to say that I think ISU people should be treated equally in this state. I think those people should only be allowed to use the portable outhouses at the state fair. The privilege of modern sewage plumbing should be reserved for civilized Hawkeye students/alumni/fans. That said, I'll willingly associate with them outside the confines of toilet-business.

Fart noises.

Actually, I'm more interested in his Indiana prediction.

Why do I keep seeing people predicting a Hoosier victory this year? I mean yeah I know it'll probably happen now because everyone seems to think 'hey that looks like a good game to pick a random loss for Iowa', but honestly, I just see people picking Indiana to win. I don't actually see anyone supporting that prediction, though.

I'm sure we can find some of our objective posters to tell us why Indiana will beat Iowa (not that they think it could happen, f*** no, it's happening this year because f***ing Arkansas fans and Ohio State fans and Iowa State fans and ESPN and Rick Brown and frydaze and f***ing Obama says they'll be one of Iowa's losses this year).

And I'm not saying it won't happen. Just tell me why it will.

Actually, I'm more interested in his Indiana prediction.

Why do I keep seeing people predicting a Hoosier victory this year? I mean yeah I know it'll probably happen now because everyone seems to think 'hey that looks like a good game to pick a random loss for Iowa', but honestly, I just see people picking Indiana to win. I don't actually see anyone supporting that prediction, though.

I'm sure we can find some of our objective posters to tell us why Indiana will beat Iowa (not that they think it could happen, f*** no, it's happening this year because f***ing Arkansas fans and Ohio State fans and Iowa State fans and ESPN and Rick Brown and frydaze and f***ing Obama says they'll be one of Iowa's losses this year).

And I'm not saying it won't happen. Just tell me why it will.

Damn man. You OK?

Rick Brown does a pretty good job of covering Iowa football. Iowa should NOT lose to ISU this year but I do think it will. ISU seems to have the mojo when it comes to this game. No matter how good we are on paper, we find a way to play down to ISU's level. Heck, last year ISU had a horrible game yet we let them come back and beat us in Kinnick. I will never understand how Kirk loses to an ISU program that is in much worse shape than Iowa. That being said, I think 8-4 is doable with this schedule ... Losing at Indiana is also feasible (even though it shouldn't be) ...

Rick Brown does a pretty good job of covering Iowa football. Iowa should NOT lose to ISU this year but I do think it will. ISU seems to have the mojo when it comes to this game. No matter how good we are on paper, we find a way to play down to ISU's level. Heck, last year ISU had a horrible game yet we let them come back and beat us in Kinnick. I will never understand how Kirk loses to an ISU program that is in much worse shape than Iowa. That being said, I think 8-4 is doable with this schedule ... Losing at Indiana is also feasible (even though it shouldn't be) ...

Youve got to start somewhere with prognostications dont you? You're the type that would be crying in his coffee if Iowa was voted as having the #1 most difficult schedule for 2015 though.

Take your black and gold glasses off buddy and have a little bit of objectivity.

I have as much objectivity as most... and most certainly more than some. At this very premature and early juncture, rankings and SOS are mostly guesses at best. Even following the season, youi will not find complete consensus on which team(s) played the toughest or easiest schedule(s). Just last year, Sagarin had national champ Ohio State playing the 29th rated schedule strength while Phil Steele believed the Buckeyes played the 51st toughest slate. Alabama's schedule ranged between second best and 21st. FSU - either 21st or 52nd. Oregon was 20th in one person's eyes and only 35th in the other.

So, which is right and how can there be such disparity following a full season of play if this is such an exact science? More importantly, what gives you confidence that the "voters" know with any degree of certainty the Iowa's schedule is the worst of all power five schools before even a game has begun?

I don't own a pair of black and gold glasses. Nor are we 'buddies'. I also do not have a penchant for crying and whining about anything and everything that I can possibly think of to demean the Hawks.

I have as much objectivity as most... and most certainly more than some. At this very premature and early juncture, rankings and SOS are mostly guesses at best. Even following the season, youi will not find complete consensus on which team(s) played the toughest or easiest schedule(s). Just last year, Sagarin had national champ Ohio State playing the 29th rated schedule strength while Phil Steele believed the Buckeyes played the 51st toughest slate. Alabama's schedule ranged between second best and 21st. FSU - either 21st or 52nd. Oregon was 20th in one person's eyes and only 35th in the other.

So, which is right and how can there be such disparity following a full season of play if this is such an exact science? More importantly, what gives you confidence that the "voters" know with any degree of certainty the Iowa's schedule is the worst of all power five schools before even a game has begun?

I don't own a pair of black and gold glasses. Nor are we 'buddies'. I also do not have a penchant for crying and whining about anything and everything that I can possibly think of to demean the Hawks.

We havent been very good in recent seasons and far more people believe that than just me. Because of this, I do not believe we are headed for a great year. This board allows people of all opinions to voice them and I am not afraid to. If you don't like them, don't read them. Simple enough for you?

Your biggest bitch centers around me saying Iowa has the weakest schedule among Power 5 schools--which at this point is true and wasn't me who came up with the ranking--I just repeated it.

Maybe the schedule will turn out to be true--maybe it won't. Yeah, maybe Iowa State and Indiana and Northwestern and Purdue and North Texas will all prove to be juggernauts this year--but again, prognostications start somewhere and this is where they do.

As far as your own objectivity, obviously you are grossly overstating that fact for you to get your panties in such a bunch over someones comments on a message board.

We havent been very good in recent seasons and far more people believe that than just me. Because of this, I do not believe we are headed for a great year. This board allows people of all opinions to voice them and I am not afraid to. If you don't like them, don't read them. Simple enough for you?

Your biggest bitch centers around me saying Iowa has the weakest schedule among Power 5 schools--which at this point is true and wasn't me who came up with the ranking--I just repeated it.

Maybe the schedule will turn out to be true--maybe it won't. Yeah, maybe Iowa State and Indiana and Northwestern and Purdue and North Texas will all prove to be juggernauts this year--but again, prognostications start somewhere and this is where they do.

As far as your own objectivity, obviously you are grossly overstating that fact for you to get your panties in such a bunch over someones comments on a message board.

I never really posted on the FB board in the past and haven't even been reading this board again until about two weeks ago, but your tone is insufferable. I can just picture you hitting post, leaning back in your chair, rubbing your hands and thinking to yourself you really nailed some other anonymous poster with that one. Yes, people could just ignore your posts, but there are also people who might enjoy reading your thoughts if you could refrain from using this place as an outlet to be a bigger douche than you would otherwise in real life.

I never really posted on the FB board in the past and haven't even been reading this board again until about two weeks ago, but your tone is insufferable. I can just picture you hitting post, leaning back in your chair, rubbing your hands and thinking to yourself you really nailed some other anonymous poster with that one. Yes, people could just ignore your posts, but there are also people who might enjoy reading your thoughts if you could refrain from using this place as an outlet to be a bigger douche than you would otherwise in real life.

Glad you are reading my posts :) Cant get enough of them huh? You are a supreme DB (your original post to me so turnabout fair play). Please don't read my posts since your insecure life cant handle opinions that dont agree with yours. Now please go away.

Glad you are reading my posts :) Cant get enough of them huh? You are a supreme DB (your original post to me so turnabout fair play). Please don't read my posts since your insecure life cant handle opinions that dont agree with yours. Now please go away.

Such a pleasant experience... from what I can tell, I often agree with your opinions, I just can't tell why nearly every post is so either aggressive or defensive? Is Iowa Football that important in your life, the nine to five or family that miserable that you have to take it out here?

Would be nice if you could not bring whatever gripe you have in life here.

Such a pleasant experience... from what I can tell, I often agree with your opinions, I just can't tell why nearly every post is so either aggressive or defensive? Is Iowa Football that important in your life, the nine to five or family that miserable that you have to take it out here?

Would be nice if you could not bring whatever gripe you have in life here.

Another dime-a-dozen poster like yourself with some little thought out over used advise. Bud, for your panties to get in such a bunch and calling someone originally a DB, you have issues. Now please crawl back into your hole and resolve them.

I have always found those like you and the personal stuff you bring at others have major crisis in their own life. Throwing attacks out on a personal level somehow make their own life feel better. Hope you fix yours actually.

Reactions: TS568
Another dime-a-dozen poster like yourself with some little thought out over used advise. Bud, for your panties to get in such a bunch and calling someone originally a DB, you have issues. Now please crawl back into your hole and resolve them.

I have always found those like you and the personal stuff you bring at others have major crisis in their own life. Throwing attacks out on a personal level somehow make their own life feel better. Hope you fix yours actually.

Maybe I'm wrong about your issues in the real world, I've been on the internet long enough to know some people get off on the anonymity. The intent of the original post was to try and understand why all your posts take on such an aggressive tone, I figured hearing it from someone who hasn't been involved in any of your feuds might have more effect. It's clear that was not the case, I'll go back to lurking and continue to be amused by the persona you maintain on here.

Same here. As much as I HATE it when Iowa loses to ISU in anything, they have a great public university and some very loyal fans. My brother dropped out at ISU and some of his friends (and some of my friends) graduated from ISU. My heart has opened up a little over the years. They have a tolerable small town with a great water supply and good things are happening there. That's not to say that I think ISU people should be treated equally in this state. I think those people should only be allowed to use the portable outhouses at the state fair. The privilege of modern sewage plumbing should be reserved for civilized Hawkeye students/alumni/fans. That said, I'll willingly associate with them outside the confines of toilet-business.

Water supply, Jerry?

Maybe I'm wrong about your issues in the real world, I've been on the internet long enough to know some people get off on the anonymity. The intent of the original post was to try and understand why all your posts take on such an aggressive tone, I figured hearing it from someone who hasn't been involved in any of your feuds might have more effect. It's clear that was not the case, I'll go back to lurking and continue to be amused by the persona you maintain on here.

Keep coming back bud withy your comments--I'll come right back at ya.

Since you see yourself as all high and mighty, let's look back to see who was the one in this thread who decided throw out the pathetic DB remark. I have learned in life the people that do that are those who are. Congrats man!

Ah hahahahaha...Aaahh hahahahahahaha.

Hey mirror, come over here a sec. I'd like you to meet frydaze.

And I will enjoy watching you deny this or deflect at the very least too because you will and I know it will be bullsh**. Have fun with that, Iowa fan.

Yep. Just like espn claiming Alabama has the #1 schedule in the country.

Maybe that's because they over rate/rank all the SEC teams nearly every single year

Imagine if not for the playoff last year, the SEC would have absolutely added a other title
honestly, no rankings of any kind should comeout until at least midway through october imo. The SEC plays a conference game really early, so teams get an inflated boost in rankings from beating another over ranked team early...then as the season wears on, these teams that start ranked high fall down to where they should have been all along....well after their early season opponent got the benefit or beating a higher ranked team.

two teams come to mind in the SEC...seems like more often than not S. Carolina and Georgia are teams that start the season ranked high, and just end up with mediocre or average records at the end of the season.

Reactions: icu81222
It has been my observation that KF can't probably legitimately reach a level of success to save his job with some of the more hardcore fans in the Iowa fan base.

The base set of assumptions is that Iowa has an easy schedule and therefore, if KF is worth keeping, he must dominate that competition. Without regard to what performance level his team is currently at. If this was 2002 Iowa, the fanbase could rightly expect a MNC run. In 2015 however, no matter how easy the schedule, Iowa may well be happy to take the 8-4 and run. It could easily be worse.

At Nebraska, the fact that KF recruits so poorly and loses so much wouldn't be tolerated because the makeup of the "average" fan is different than his counterpart in Iowa City or Des Moines. There's not a lot of "little old Iowa" syndrome west of the Missouri, which for better or worse means a lower tolerance level for uninspiring performance. There's quite a bit more acceptance of KF recruiting and on-field medicority among your average Iowa ticket holder.

Which has basically led to the situation of the last few years in Hawkeye land. The most hardcore Hawk fans have wanted KF gone for a while, the average fan has not yet been upset to the point where dumping the old Captain, statesman that he is, in favor of getting back on the coaching carousel. Although this season that disparity is rapidly being closed it would seem, my guess would be, KF has a little more time though.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I think a lot of has to do with when you grew up. Kids that grew up in the 80's just assumed that is where Iowa should always be. Blowing out ISU, ranked 4 out of 5 years. Those that grew up in the 70s or before know that's not the case. Barry Switzer wrote about this in his book. It's called creating the monster. Once you start winning, the fans think they are part of it and assume they should always get wins. Most Nebraska older Nebraska fans have never really known a mediocre Nebraska team. The kids that have grown up in the last 10 years will not expect 10-12 wins a year.

Out here in the Seattle area (have to say that so SP don't accuse me of trying to be cool saying I am in Seattle), you have a portion of the fanbase that became monster fans in the early 90s when Washington was dominant. The fans that are in school now have never known Washington to be that school. A few years ago they beat a good Stanford team and the students rushed the field. That seriously pissed off many alumns including Former QB and ESPN announcer Brock Huard. They were under this impression that Washington don't celebrate wins against Stanford because they are always better, even though they haven't been for quite a while.

Personally I don't think most students follow the sport. They just want to rush the field and be a part of the win. I have no problems with students rushing the field at any point, but for whatever reason that seriously upsets those that feel Iowa is the monster power house football program. Sorry I guess I took this in a different direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT