ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Renteria out as White Sox manager

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
After guiding the White Sox to a 35-25 record and a postseason appearances in his fourth season as manager, Rick Renteria and the team “agreed to part ways” on Monday, the team announced.
The move comes as a surprise but demonstrates the Sox’ resolve to take the next step in the fifth year of their rebuild after bowing out of the postseason with a Wild Card series loss to the Athletics.
Renteria had one year remaining on his contract, as does most of his coaching staff. The status of the coaching staff will be determined moving forward and in consultation with the team’s next manager, according to the team’s release.

While in full rebuild mode, the Sox were 67-95, 62-100 and 72-89 in Renteria’s first three seasons. The Sox hired Renteria as a bench coach one year after the Cubs fired him as their manager in 2014, then named him to succeed Robin Ventura before the 2017 season. Renteria, replaced by Joe Maddon, spent one year on the job with the Cubs.
Renteria, 58, received high marks for establishing a good clubhouse culture and getting his players to play hard for him. His bullpen management skills were subject to debate when he inserted Carlos Rodon into a high leverage situation with the bases loaded in a 5-4 loss to the Indians on Sept. 24 at Cleveland, and the decisive Game 3 of the Wild Card series in Oakland. In the playoff game that ended their season, the Sox were forced to have a bullpen game with no trusted third starter after Lucas Giolito and Dallas Keuchel.

In the abbreviated 60-game season during a pandemic, the Sox built a 32-16 after a 10-11 start and held the top seed in the expanded eight-team American League playoff field. The Sox faded late, closing with a 3-12 regular season record and losing home field for the Wild Card series. They were seeded seventh.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
After guiding the White Sox to a 35-25 record and a postseason appearances in his fourth season as manager, Rick Renteria and the team “agreed to part ways” on Monday, the team announced.
The move comes as a surprise but demonstrates the Sox’ resolve to take the next step in the fifth year of their rebuild after bowing out of the postseason with a Wild Card series loss to the Athletics.
Renteria had one year remaining on his contract, as does most of his coaching staff. The status of the coaching staff will be determined moving forward and in consultation with the team’s next manager, according to the team’s release.

While in full rebuild mode, the Sox were 67-95, 62-100 and 72-89 in Renteria’s first three seasons. The Sox hired Renteria as a bench coach one year after the Cubs fired him as their manager in 2014, then named him to succeed Robin Ventura before the 2017 season. Renteria, replaced by Joe Maddon, spent one year on the job with the Cubs.
Renteria, 58, received high marks for establishing a good clubhouse culture and getting his players to play hard for him. His bullpen management skills were subject to debate when he inserted Carlos Rodon into a high leverage situation with the bases loaded in a 5-4 loss to the Indians on Sept. 24 at Cleveland, and the decisive Game 3 of the Wild Card series in Oakland. In the playoff game that ended their season, the Sox were forced to have a bullpen game with no trusted third starter after Lucas Giolito and Dallas Keuchel.

In the abbreviated 60-game season during a pandemic, the Sox built a 32-16 after a 10-11 start and held the top seed in the expanded eight-team American League playoff field. The Sox faded late, closing with a 3-12 regular season record and losing home field for the Wild Card series. They were seeded seventh.

He seems like a great guy but it had to happen. He cannot handle a pitching staff.

Bigger Sox news today is that Garrett Crochet just had a strain. No ligament damage. Best news of October.

I'd have to assume the Sux, sorry, Sox, have a plan in place like the Cubs did when they let Renteria go. No way they get rid of a fairly successful manager just to change things up and start a search. Whoever inherits that team will have a lot to work with, but also have enormous pressure to have them perform. Not everyone can handle that.

I'd have to assume the Sux, sorry, Sox, have a plan in place like the Cubs did when they let Renteria go. No way they get rid of a fairly successful manager just to change things up and start a search. Whoever inherits that team will have a lot to work with, but also have enormous pressure to have them perform. Not everyone can handle that.

Whoever the successor is will not bring a cold Carlos Rodon in after 2 months of inactivity to a bases loaded series deciding inning. I'm pretty sure.

Now it seems that 76 year old Tony LaRussa is a leading candidate???

I think that's the rumor mill being stupid. It makes no sense to bring in a grandpa to coach a bunch of 20 somethings. AJ Hinch or Mike Sciosia would make me happy. Maybe Alomar Jr.

Ricky seems like a great guy. Thanks for raising the kids. Coop has been a rock for decades. Hats off to both. The Sox are ready for the final step and I CANNOT WAIT for the next 5 years of White Sox baseball. The next manager has a chance to make history in Chicago. Let's goooooooo!!!

I think that's the rumor mill being stupid. It makes no sense to bring in a grandpa to coach a bunch of 20 somethings. AJ Hinch or Mike Sciosia would make me happy. Maybe Alomar Jr.

Well.....It appears he may be candidate #1. He is being interviewed. Wow.

I would prefer to avoid the cheating stigma/distraction of Hinch and Cora. I' d be happy with Joe Espada. Here's the run down from Fegan at The Athletic:

Joe Espada: In a similar vein, the other bench coach in the ALCS made the interview rounds last winter, seemingly barely losing out to David Ross across town. He replaced Cora in Houston in 2018 and is thus largely removed from the baggage of that situation, and spent four year with the Yankees before. Hahn characterized the managerial search as an opportunity for the club to learn about what has led to success at other organizations, and tenures with the Yankees and Astros would certainly provide that sort of insight. Espada would also maintain the benefit of a bilingual manager, but Hahn downplayed the essentiality of that going forward.

“It’s going to be important for the next coaching staff to be able to communicate directly with players,” Hahn said. “Being able to bond with players, motivate players and create relationships with players is important for any skilled manager. Being able to do that in their native language is a positive toward helping that happen, but it’s not necessarily essential.”

Of the top 3, I'd think Cora would be the one I'd most like, and it'd make a lot of sense to bring in a Puerto Rican. It's easy for me to say Renteria should have sunk or swam with Dunning in Game 3, but even if he did and they made it one series farther I think he'd have still gotten the hook.

Really hope La Russa isn't the choice.
Yeah, listened to Parkins for a little bit on the Score, and someone sure is pushing this.
I don’t get it. 76 and he hasn’t managed in a decade. Is this Jerry just doing Tony a favor on the interview, or a real story?

Yeah, listened to Parkins for a little bit on the Score, and someone sure is pushing this.
I don’t get it. 76 and he hasn’t managed in a decade. Is this Jerry just doing Tony a favor on the interview, or a real story?

I have no idea. It sounds like a move the "old" Sox would make.

What favor? Its not like LaRussa is down and out on the streets. He was still working.

The White Sox will hire either Cora or Hinch. The Front Office
has said that they want a manager with winning playoff experience.
The White Sox have a good nucleus to be a pennant contender for
the next few years. Just ask the Cubs how long that window is open.

The White Sox will hire either Cora or Hinch. The Front Office
has said that they want a manager with winning playoff experience.
The White Sox have a good nucleus to be a pennant contender for
the next few years. Just ask the Cubs how long that window is open.

I wouldn't look to the Cubs for baseball knowledge...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT