ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Davis named Head Coach at Minneapolis North High School

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

Minneapolis North chooses former NBA player Ricky Davis to replace Larry McKenzie

A stint with the Timberwolves was among Davis' stops during a 12-year NBA career. Now he steps in for a legend.

By Kevin Bertels
Minneapolis Star Tribune
AUGUST 19, 2022 — 4:57PM

rickycrop.jpg

Ricky Davis, a Timberwolves player in 2005-06 and 2006-07, will be the next boys’ basketball coach at Minneapolis North.

The replacement for coach Larry McKenzie is in place at Minneapolis North.

Ricky Davis, who played in the NBA for 12 seasons and for the Timberwolves for large portions of two, will replace McKenzie as coach of the boys' basketball team, North director of basketball operations Trent Witz said Friday.

Witz said Davis has Amateur Athletic Union coaching experience with teams in Texas and has family ties to the Twin Cities.

Davis will take over the program that McKenzie led to two state championships as part of his Hall of Fame coaching career. McKenzie, 65, retired in late July after a 24-year head coaching career that included six state championships in stops at North, Minneapolis Henry and Holy Angels. He won state titles at North in 2016 and 2017.

McKenzie was inducted into the Minnesota High School Basketball Hall of Fame this year and retired with a career record of 481-166. He became the first boys' coach to win four basketball state titles in a row when he led Minneapolis Henry to championships from 2000 to 2003. He was the first coach to win multiple state titles at two different schools.

Witz said Davis is a welcome choice.

"I like the way they went out and got a splash name, and he has a chance to carry on some great traditions we have at North," he said. "I hope that he is able to continue that tradition that Coach McKenzie started. We'll be ready to bring him in and embrace him. The kids are the first thing in mind.

"I like the hire. It's different. I don't think anyone expected that name to pop up as a head coach candidate."

Davis, playing guard and small forward, averaged 13.5 points per game during his NBA career, which ended in 2010 and also included time at Chicago, Miami, Cleveland, Boston and with the Los Angeles Clippers. He played 36 games for the Timberwolves in the 2005-06 season, after he was part of a January 2006 trade that sent Wally Szczerbiak to Boston. That season Davis averaged 19.1 points per game for the Wolves. The next season he played 81 games for them and averaged 17 points. He was traded to Miami just before the 2007-08 season.

Davis, 42, was born in Las Vegas and played high school basketball in Davenport, Iowa. He played a single season of college basketball at Iowa before he was drafted 21st overall by Charlotte in 1998.

Witz, who was an assistant coach under McKenzie in addition to being director of basketball operations, said there's a challenge ahead for Davis: a schedule that includes games against prominent teams from South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

"North has a tough schedule this year," Witz said. "If Coach McKenzie was coaching, this would be the most difficult schedule in our 10 years. That's what I left for him. Not on purpose. That's how you can tell Coach McKenzie's retirement was expected."

I'm not really sure how to interpret your post?

It's either extremely insensitive and too emotional or you're simply a racist prick.

Perhaps you would like to apologize?
I'm pretty sure how to interpret your post. You believe that you have covered all possibilities in your screed, and that your emotional, and intellectual superiority are evidence of your correctness, when in reality there are countless reasons that the statement was made. Unless you are a mind reader, which you are not, because you state "I'm really not sure how to interpret your post" (I left off the ? because you didn't ask a question.) then your statement is actually colored by racist thought. "Perhaps you would like to apologize."

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
I'm pretty sure how to interpret your post. You believe that you have covered all possibilities in your screed, and that your emotional, and intellectual superiority are evidence of your correctness, when in reality there are countless reasons that the statement was made. Unless you are a mind reader, which you are not, because you state "I'm really not sure how to interpret your post" (I left off the ? because you didn't ask a question.) then your statement is actually colored by racist thought. "Perhaps you would like to apologize."
I trying to understand what the comments have to do with Davis being hired to coach basketball at a high school in Mpls with a significant African American student body?

I see nothing in the linked story that would elicit the statement about removing Mpls from "the face of the earth".

Last edited:
Another reason that MPLS and its residents need to be removed from the face of the earth.
To be fair, there are parts with good folks. Not many, and they are massively outnumbered, but they are there.
Unfortunately I live in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis. Used to be a great place to live. Minneapolis and Saint Paul have turned into total hell holes. Oh, and the 5th to 8th highest state tax in the country. People like me are subsidizing that nonsense.

It’s not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. The election system (courtesy of Steve Simon, corrupt Secretary State) is so bad, nothing will change for quite awhile; perhaps ever. No voter Id, mass mail out mailing, unmonitored mail drop boxes, same day registration on last day (say whoever you want to say you want to, no validation), and of course the Dominion voting system in 3 of the most populous counties in the Metro - just to tip the scales for good measure.

If my children, and now grandchildren, didn’t live within 15 minutes of us, we’d be gone tomorrow.

Whew, I feel better getting that off of my chest! :)

Unfortunately I live in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis. Used to be a great place to live. Minneapolis and Saint Paul have turned into total hell holes. Oh, and the 5th to 8th highest state tax in the country. People like me are subsidizing that nonsense.

It’s not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. The election system (courtesy of Steve Simon, corrupt Secretary State) is so bad, nothing will change for quite awhile; perhaps ever. No voter Id, mass mail out mailing, unmonitored mail drop boxes, same day registration on last day (say whoever you want to say you want to, no validation), and of course the Dominion voting system in 3 of the most populous counties in the Metro - just to tip the scales for good measure.

If my children, and now grandchildren, didn’t live within 15 minutes of us, we’d be gone tomorrow.

Your rant courtesy of the Minnesota Republican Party website or did you come up with that all by yourself?

Does corrupt inner city law enforcement ie..Derek Chauvin and Kim Potter, bear any responsibility? Because without body cameras and cell phone video, everyday Mericans might think minorities have no basis for civil discord.

As far as your grievances regarding voting...Minnesota had no widespread fraud.

You seem entitled.

Your rant courtesy of the Minnesota Republican Party website or did you come up with that all by yourself?

Does corrupt inner city law enforcement ie..Derek Chauvin and Kim Potter, bear any responsibility? Because without body cameras and cell phone video, everyday Mericans might think minorities have no basis for civil discord.

You seem entitled.
My rant, as you term it, is courtesy of my own volition. Chauvin was very wrong in his actions and is rightfully paying the price. Potter is also paying an appropriate price per the punishment administered by court system.

MN has wide spread voting fraud.

Any entitlement I have is earned.

It's sad Davis thought he should do that, it's a major thing he is remembered for
For sure. He and my nephew were good friends growing up, and he used to hang out at my Dads house when they were at North. My Dad said he was a good kid, so I was excited when he committed to Iowa. (I've never met him, just going off what my Dad said). Unfortunately, I think all the adulation and being a one and done, and then first round pick had some effect on his priorities, like it does for some kids. He was a talent though, so it would be a shame for that kind of behavior to define him. Maybe this job will give him the chance to give back, and change that perception....

My rant, as you term it, is courtesy of my own volition. Chauvin was very wrong in his actions and is rightfully paying the price. Potter is also paying an appropriate price per the punishment administered by court system.

MN has wide spread voting fraud.

Any entitlement I have is earned.
Jesus the mods really need to monitor the free board. Get your Republican talking points off the sports board. PS there is no widespread voting fraud. Made up issue so votes get suppressed. Overzealous voting restrictions hurt minorities disproportionately. Guess who votes Democrat more often than not? Minorities! So by keeping low income, democratic voting voters out of the voting process Republicans benefit. It really only takes a few percentage points to flip an election. Get your propaganda off the football board.

You seem entitled.
Pls take this to the OT board, it has nothing to do with Iowa basketball. I realize that you did not open this can of worms, however, you are the main poster perpetuating it.

Reactions: MitchLL
Pls take this to the OT board, it has nothing to do with Iowa basketball. I realize that you did not open this can of worms, however, you are the main poster perpetuating it.
Why reply to him and not the instigator. Some people don't let Republican propaganda be unopposed. Nor should he. Nor should anyone. It's a disease that is warping this country. I hate politics being allowed on the free football board but that is where we are. More people need to stand up to the disinformation. Original dude eats up whatever hate his "side" offers up on a plate. This isn't a both sides thing. Lies need to be met with truth. If nobody stands up we really are already lost.

I tend to listen to people that live in an area being discussed .

Ricky could of been the biggest star of all time. But with parents push him to go pro. I got meet his younger brother and the folks. The only time met them the father was a piece of work. It is sad but he did make a living NBA . I just wish could of had heart as a Dean oliver

Yep, sorry.

I was just mystified what posts #6, 7, and 11 had to do with Ricky Davis.

I think I know now.

Reactions: JMNSHO

You seem entitled.
I actually feel it was a pretty honest assessment of how he feels.

I tend to agree with him in some of his points in regard to voting. We MUST have a national voting registration requirement that requires an ID or a drivers license. It isn’t really that difficult a concept to grasp.

now, that said, we need to make it much more accessible for people to get at least a state ID! It takes at least 4-5 months here in Texas just to get an appt to renew your drivers license, let alone a new person to the state trying to get a new state license.

It’s beyond ridiculous that we wouldn’t expect someone to produce a photo ID when walking in to vote. It just screams fraud. (Even though there has been no widespread proof of any)

Why reply to him and not the instigator. Some people don't let Republican propaganda be unopposed. Nor should he. Nor should anyone. It's a disease that is warping this country. I hate politics being allowed on the free football board but that is where we are. More people need to stand up to the disinformation. Original dude eats up whatever hate his "side" offers up on a plate. This isn't a both sides thing. Lies need to be met with truth. If nobody stands up we really are already lost.
Simple, my post requested that the discussion continue on a more appropriate forum. I was not defending the "instigator", however he/she had long since disappeared and was no longer engaged in the "off topic" discussion.

I actually feel it was a pretty honest assessment of how he feels.

I tend to agree with him in some of his points in regard to voting. We MUST have a national voting registration requirement that requires an ID or a drivers license. It isn’t really that difficult a concept to grasp.

now, that said, we need to make it much more accessible for people to get at least a state ID! It takes at least 4-5 months here in Texas just to get an appt to renew your drivers license, let alone a new person to the state trying to get a new state license.

It’s beyond ridiculous that we wouldn’t expect someone to produce a photo ID when walking in to vote. It just screams fraud. (Even though there has been no widespread proof of any)
It's easy to say something like requiring ID but without understanding the effect it's a hollow argument. I've done some reading, granted not enough to be an expert, about voter suppression. On the surface it seems a no brainer to have drivers license be a requirement. There are southern states that have enacted that with the planned outcome of disadvantaged people being unable to vote. Sounds so plausible to the average person. Why not demand a licence? Because many minorities don't have a driver's license and some of these states make it intentionally difficult to obtain one. It's part of a political agenda to keep "the colored" from the polls. Why not have multiple ways to verify identity? Why not accept a college ID? Or other forms? That is the dishonesty about this issue the uninformed don't understand.

Apparently you are a mod? Participating in politics on the football board (sports) seems like a bad choice. Around political seasons this board sucks because there is little to no moderation. I guess politics on the football board is encouraged since you partook yourself. I have ignored so many but this issue keeps popping up. You don't do much to help. Dedicated Hawks have to either put blinders on or not engage the stupid. I realize I'm not a paying member so you probably don't care if there isn't a dollar in it for you. POLITICS ON THIS BOARD SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. You couldn't contain yourself from joining the madness. Congrats

Last edited:
It's easy to say something like requiring ID but without understanding the effect it's a hollow argument. I've done some reading, granted not enough to be an expert, about voter suppression. On the surface it seems a no brainer to have drivers license be a requirement. There are southern states that have enacted that with the planned outcome of disadvantaged people being unable to vote. Sounds so plausible to the average person. Why not demand a licence? Because many minorities don't have a driver's license and some of these states make it intentionally difficult to obtain one. It's part of a political agenda to keep "the colored" from the polls. Why not have multiple ways to verify identity? Why not accept a college ID? Or other forms? That is the dishonesty about this issue the uninformed don't understand.
Which is why I mentioned a state ID and making it easier to obtain one.

Texas: must have at least two forms of proof that shows you are a resident before obtaining a state drivers license OR STATE ID! Examples of proof: tax bill on your home(leaves renters out). A utility bill in your name(may leave some renters and elderly out). Cable bill in your name(same). How about an insurance bill in your name( if I don’t drive or own my own home…)

oh, and let’s schedule you for that ID IF YOU CAN COME UP WITH 2 of those things….how’s week before Christmas sound?

Or, how about the person that has been married multiple times and they require proof of birth, proof of each marriage and divorce. My MIL (who lives with us) had been married at least 3 times that I’m aware of. (I don’t ask). Coming up with all those things after multiple moves from state to state can be difficult for some….

Simple, my post requested that the discussion continue on a more appropriate forum. I was not defending the "instigator", however he/she had long since disappeared and was no longer engaged in the "off topic" discussion.
OK. Shouldn't a mod moderate then? I hate it as much as you. Good point on that guy disappearing. I will stand up and call out people. I guess you needed to call someone out too. It's your right. I get sick of these dipshits posting their rhetoric and not being called on it or moderated. Guess what you could have chosen to not engage but you did. Fair amount of hypocrisy with your second post? After all it wasn't sports related 😉

Which is why I mentioned a state ID and making it easier to obtain one.

Texas: must have at least two forms of proof that shows you are a resident before obtaining a state drivers license OR STATE ID! Examples of proof: tax bill on your home(leaves renters out). A utility bill in your name(may leave some renters and elderly out). Cable bill in your name(same). How about an insurance bill in your name( if I don’t drive or own my own home…)

oh, and let’s schedule you for that ID IF YOU CAN COME UP WITH 2 of those things….how’s week before Christmas sound?
I agree ID should be easier to obtain. It's the combination of all these factors that is the voter suppression part. Seems logical to require it. But then it's made difficult on purpose to get one. It's a strategy Mike.

I would just prefer this "debate" didn't happen on a Rickie Davis thread on what should be a sports related board. However, if nobody moderates these things I will engage and continue to engage when pure propaganda is offered up as reality. Not talking about you but the originator with the special bread of stupid with his comment about widespread fraud. Proof is not needed for the indoctrinated.

OK. Shouldn't a mod moderate then? I hate it as much as you. Good point on that guy disappearing. I will stand up and call out people. I guess you needed to call someone out too. It's your right. I get sick of these dipshits posting their rhetoric and not being called on it or moderated. Guess what you could have chosen to not engage but you did. Fair amount of hypocrisy with your second post? After all it wasn't sports related 😉
I have moderated this thread…….

and moved it to OT!

I wonder if he ever received a college education, or if it's required to coach a high school team.

Or, how about the person that has been married multiple times and they require proof of birth, proof of each marriage and divorce. My MIL (who lives with us) had been married at least 3 times that I’m aware of. (I don’t ask). Coming up with all those things after multiple moves from state to state can be difficult for some….
I think we agree on this. If identification is required it should then be easy to get said ID. Sorry I'm grumpy. That first guy set me off with his bs.

I DO wish the sports board could be just sports. Politics set me off. I come here to get away from that.

This could have come right off a trump tweet. It's amazing how fair our elections were until he came along and now half of our population believes the myth of corrupt elections.

Reactions: HFan1981
I tend to listen to people that live in an area being discussed .
You do realize that people that live in Twin Cities suburbs get Twin Cities TV, radio, newspapers, online articles, amber alerts, etc. right?

I live in the western suburbs as well, and work just inside the 494 corridor. We get the news, which is why I don't go into Minneapolis or St. Paul. And if you see the same articles I do living locally, you'll find that a LOT of other people that used to go don't go there either. (do a Google search of closing restaurants and businesses in these areas and some clue should form - one quote from a recent article from a guy who closed his restaurant " Minneapolis is a ghost town"). There's a reason for that.

Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT