Ricky Davis new Coach at Minneapolis North

23 so far

HR Heisman
Mar 24, 2016
Anyone else see this? Pretty sure this is former Iowa player Ricky Davis. Saw an online article from local Twin Cities TV affiliate Fox 9 KMSP that former North Minneapolis and UCONN player Khalid El-Amin and his Family and friends were up in arms that he was runner-up to Davis and they're trying to petition to get Davis ousted and El-Amin given the job (something to that effect). That former player and "community" thing.

The article said former Minnesota Timberwolves player Ricky Davis, which he was there for 1 year it appears (one of many teams Davis was on in the NBA). El-Amin coaches at St. Thomas Academy High School currently (in the Twin Cities - Mendota Heights).

Apparently they had a long time Hall of Fame Coach retire recently. Doesn't say if or where Davis had been coaching. Just thought it was interesting and didn't know where or what Ricky Davis was up to these days. The article doesn't really say much about him, it's all about certain members of the Polar Bears "family" being "outraged" over El-Amin being passed over (I think former Minneapolis North and Gopher football player (Wide Receiver) and current Tampa Bay Buc Tyler Johnson's Father is another one crying foul). Stay tuned I guess.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Anyone else see this? Pretty sure this is former Iowa player Ricky Davis. Saw an online article from local Twin Cities TV affiliate Fox 9 KMSP that former North Minneapolis and UCONN player Khalid El-Amin and his Family and friends were up in arms that he was runner-up to Davis and they're trying to petition to get Davis ousted and El-Amin given the job (something to that effect). That former player and "community" thing.

The article said former Minnesota Timberwolves player Ricky Davis, which he was there for 1 year it appears (one of many teams Davis was on in the NBA). El-Amin coaches at St. Thomas Academy High School currently (in the Twin Cities - Mendota Heights).

Apparently they had a long time Hall of Fame Coach retire recently. Doesn't say if or where Davis had been coaching. Just thought it was interesting and didn't know where or what Ricky Davis was up to these days. The article doesn't really say much about him, it's all about certain members of the Polar Bears "family" being "outraged" over El-Amin being passed over (I think former Minneapolis North and Gopher football player (Wide Receiver) and current Tampa Bay Buc Tyler Johnson's Father is another one crying foul). Stay tuned I guess.

Yeah, I posted about this on Aug 19 but the thread got moved to the OFF TOPIC forum.

Davis replaces Hall of Fame coach Larry McKenzie.

Here's that thread with the story from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Reactions: MonmouthHawk

23 so far

HR Heisman
Mar 24, 2016
Yeah, I posted about this on Aug 19 but the thread got moved to the OFF TOPIC forum.

Davis replaces Hall of Fame coach Larry McKenzie.

Here's that thread with the story from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

I did not see that. My apologies. Just got a little blurb on my phone today and here was Ricky Davis out of the blue. Had no idea what he was up to.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I did not see that. My apologies. Just got a little blurb on my phone today and here was Ricky Davis out of the blue. Had no idea what he was up to.

no worries; it was just interesting that the thread about a former Iowa basketball player disappeared to the Off Topic forum, which is mostly politics

SDHawkDoc

HR Heisman
Jan 27, 2013
People change, but I have a hard time believing Ricky Davis should be a head coach.
Sure. Maturity and growth is always hoped for. But I agree with you in that it is surprising that he would be a choice for that kind of position. He was a great playing talent in his one year at Iowa, and a helluva lot of fun to watch.
Responsible, level-headed and thoughtful are words that I use as descriptors for what I would want in a head coach. Of course I don't know anything about him personally, but what I remember and what I've know as to what is available public information I wouldn't use those words to describe him.

Reactions: dean_oliver222