ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Mulvey reclassifies to 2021

Definitely a point worth noting but I think you missed a couple of things. First, I don't think Riley is a 12th grader. I think he was going to an academy next season so he'll be a legit freshman. Second, Riley's development curve starts pretty high, already a top 100 player with a huge frame. Of course, like all incoming freshmen, he could fall flat on his ass as a player.

His video is very impressive although not voluminous (like the Murrays). Riley is far more advanced than Leslie was when arrived on campus.
He's not a top 100 player.

So, a guy who wasn’t expected to contribute as a freshman in 2023 is going to join the team in 2022 as a 12th grader? Not sure this is newsworthy. He’s isn’t ready to bang down low in the big 10 matching up against the Cockburns and Garzas of the world. Not sure he even matches up against Ogundale at this point, who has 2 years on him. Bigs like this take time to develop, a la Les Jepsen.
There is not one person who would take JO over Mulvey. The skill level is not comparable. While not directly comparing, the freshman from Michigan did OK this year.

The 2021 season just ended. He’s going to join that team for the awards banquet?

Luka Garza is the greatest Iowa basketball player of all time and 2 time National player of the year. You’re comparing this guy to Garza’s freshmen performance? How about comparing him to a typical freshmen center at Iowa? Might get a more realistic view. A recent example might be Kriener (3 points as a freshmen) or Ogundale 1 point as a freshmen).
Garza wasn't the GOAT his freshman year and anyone who claims they predicted his improvement would be lying. But perhaps a better comparison is Woody, because he came in and immediately improved our defense. Mulvey is likewise supposed to be better on defense than offense, although I like what I've seen from his offensive game.

Actually, Garza was showing some signs of what he might become at the end of his freshman year. He was outscoring and out rebounding Cook and playing less minutes. He averaged 12 points and 6 boards playing just over half the game. Not saying he projected to be the NPOY, but he was showing signs of becoming a star for the Hawks.

If Liam Robbins does come to Iowa and that's a big if, I can see Riley being redshirted. He might be 18 but he has a long way to go before he will be able to handle Big Ten competition from the video's I've seen of him.

We have had several freshman centers through the years with varying levels of success. Three that come to mind quickly are Luka Garza, Adam Woodbury, and Jared Reiner. If Mulvey ends up starting, I would guess his stats end up being somewhere close to an average of those three, which isn't great, but also isn't horrible.

That said, I think the much better option is that we land Robbins, and Mulvey/Ogundele have another year to get ready.

Gut feeling on my part,.. just seems like a perfect fit for both parties..
One has to think the Vandy buzz is based on one thing... Ed Conroy being hired as an asst.

Vandy hoops was dead last in the SEC last year. It's pretty far from home (assuming Liam wants to be closer to his family) and they have a 5* center coming in in 2022. (more highly recruited than Mulvey...so tougher competition for PT). Wouldn't seem to check off many of the boxes for a guy in his situation.

30 scouts at ESPN? lol their recruiting stuff sucks. And I still don't see him listed as a top 100 recruit on there. Look, the kid could turn out to be a good player but let's not hype him up to be the recruit he isn't.

You posted an attack on a scouting service without noticing that the article from a competing service contains a glaring inconsistency.

He's not in the top 100 because the top 100 for 2021 is final. He moved back a class and they've only released to 60 for 2022. If you actually went to the ESPN site you would know this. Bing "Riley Mulvey ESPN recruit" and you get his personal page. The grade places him somewhere between high 70 and high 80s in this years class.

As for recruiting services, ESPN has the most junior and senior scouts and contributors, they have by far the largest data base, they use the same metrics year to year and they are the most tape based of the services available to the public.

Rivals is a good site. Their data base and scouting team is much smaller and I think they don't spend as much time per player. They tend to flush a very large number of players into 3*s because, and just my theory, their size doesn't allow them as many views of a player. Can't miss that far if you have a guy as a 3*.

247 heavily weights camps and all star kind of events. They are very reliant on AAU coaches and promoters, all of whom have incentives to promote "their" players. 247 has more information about a much smaller data base.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. But just declaring the largest service with the largest data base of players as "sucks" is silly. Most importantly ESPN is a service with TV programing about recruits.

You posted an attack on a scouting service without noticing that the article from a competing service contains a glaring inconsistency.

He's not in the top 100 because the top 100 for 2021 is final. He moved back a class and they've only released to 60 for 2022. If you actually went to the ESPN site you would know this. Bing "Riley Mulvey ESPN recruit" and you get his personal page. The grade places him somewhere between high 70 and high 80s in this years class.

As for recruiting services, ESPN has the most junior and senior scouts and contributors, they have by far the largest data base, they use the same metrics year to year and they are the most tape based of the services available to the public.

Rivals is a good site. Their data base and scouting team is much smaller and I think they don't spend as much time per player. They tend to flush a very large number of players into 3*s because, and just my theory, their size doesn't allow them as many views of a player. Can't miss that far if you have a guy as a 3*.

247 heavily weights camps and all star kind of events. They are very reliant on AAU coaches and promoters, all of whom have incentives to promote "their" players. 247 has more information about a much smaller data base.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. But just declaring the largest service with the largest data base of players as "sucks" is silly. Most importantly ESPN is a service with TV programing about recruits.
Weird. When I google that I don't get ESPN at all. When I use Bing, it's there. Is Google blocking ESPN?

Link to ESPN profile?

Garza wasn't the GOAT his freshman year and anyone who claims they predicted his improvement would be lying. But perhaps a better comparison is Woody, because he came in and immediately improved our defense. Mulvey is likewise supposed to be better on defense than offense, although I like what I've seen from his offensive game.

Garza put up good #s his freshman and sophomore years. But I agree; nobody could have predicted what happened his junior year.

My bold prediction is that Payton Sandfort will be the next Rick Mount!!! ;)

Luka Garza (#7 on B1G All Time Scoring List), Year by Year Breakdown:

2017-18.......33 GP...........400 pts........12.1 ppg
2018-19.......32 GP...........419 pts.........13.1 ppg
2019-20.......31 GP...........740 pts........23.9 ppg
2020-21.......31 GP...........747 pts.........24.1 ppg
.TOTALS....127 GP........2,306 pts.......18.2 ppg

Rick Mount (#6 on B1G All Time Scoring List)), Year by Year Breakdown:

1967-1968.....24 GP.....683 pts.......28.5 ppg
1968-1969.....28 GP.....932 pts.......33.3 ppg
1969-1970.....20 GP.....708 pts.......35.4 ppg
......TOTALS....72 GP....2,323 pts.....32.3 ppg

ADVERTISEMENT