ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till earns scholarship for 2019-20 season

Apr 8, 2003
Riley Till Earns Scholarship

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery announced Wednesday that redshirt junior Riley Till will be put on scholarship for the 2019-20 season.

Till (6-foot-7, 205 pounds), who was a walk-on the past three seasons, saw his minutes increase last season as a redshirt sophomore. The Dubuque, Iowa, native played in 16 games a year ago and had an impact in a handful of wins in 2018-19, including victories over No. 13 Oregon and Iowa’s comeback win at Penn State.

“I feel blessed and I thank God, coach McCaffery and staff, and my teammates for always believing in me and pushing me to be my best,” said Till. “I am grateful for the constant support of my family as well as the amazing Hawkeye fan base. Being an Iowa Hawkeye is a dream come true and I look forward to getting back to work with my brothers.”

Till was a two-year starter at Dubuque Wahlert High School, playing alongside current Hawkeye teammate Cordell Pemsl.

“Riley earned this scholarship," said McCaffery. "He is the consummate teammate, a good student, and has worked extremely hard to improve his game the past three years. He has helped our team, and makes us better.”

Riley Till Earns Scholarship

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery announced Wednesday that redshirt junior Riley Till will be put on scholarship for the 2019-20 season.

Till (6-foot-7, 205 pounds), who was a walk-on the past three seasons, saw his minutes increase last season as a redshirt sophomore. The Dubuque, Iowa, native played in 16 games a year ago and had an impact in a handful of wins in 2018-19, including victories over No. 13 Oregon and Iowa’s comeback win at Penn State.

“I feel blessed and I thank God, coach McCaffery and staff, and my teammates for always believing in me and pushing me to be my best,” said Till. “I am grateful for the constant support of my family as well as the amazing Hawkeye fan base. Being an Iowa Hawkeye is a dream come true and I look forward to getting back to work with my brothers.”

Till was a two-year starter at Dubuque Wahlert High School, playing alongside current Hawkeye teammate Cordell Pemsl.

“Riley earned this scholarship," said McCaffery. "He is the consummate teammate, a good student, and has worked extremely hard to improve his game the past three years. He has helped our team, and makes us better.”

I am sure he is a great kid and Good for him buttttt I would rather see that scholly used on someone else that will help this team win.

Theres still 2 more open.

All 13 of your scholarship guys are not going to get regular minutes so to think Fran would fill all 3 open ones with contributors for next season was not realistic.

There are things called sit out transfers.

I am sure he is a great kid and Good for him buttttt I would rather see that scholly used on someone else that will help this team win.

Yep.

Happy for him, but this tells me Fran does not feel that confident about being able to land a player that can come in and contribute right away. Yah, I hear some of you saying "We have a lot of good returning players, we really don't need an impact player from Juco, grad transfer or straight out of high school." That mentality gets you to the first weekend of NCAAs but no farther.

And save your Nicholas Baer mentions/comparisons.

Yep.

Happy for him, but this tells me Fran does not feel that confident about being able to land a player that can come in and contribute right away. Yah, I hear some of you saying "We have a lot of good returning players, we really don't need an impact player from Juco, grad transfer or straight out of high school." That mentality gets you to the first weekend of NCAAs but no farther.

And save your Nicholas Baer mentions/comparisons.
He's been trying. He can't force play right away transfers to come to Iowa or sit out transfers for that matter. Iowa was very close to making the Sweet 16 last year. Winning one more game isn't going to change their minds.

I really really wanted one of those transfers. Fran tried and failed.

So if we can't land a good transfer, why not give Riley a schollie? If nothing else it sets a good precedent that hard work and grinding in practice eventually pays off.

Reactions: mstp1992
There are things called sit out transfers.

Sure is and Fran can still add up to 2 of them if he wants.

No way that Fran would bring in 3 transfers (sit out, grad or a combo of both) in one offseason.

Sure is and Fran can still add up to 2 of them if he wants.

No way that Fran would bring in 3 transfers (sit out, grad or a combo of both) in one offseason.

That's what I was wondering what the argument was, do people really think we need to fill 3 spots with transfers this season (regardless if any need to sit out)?

I could see Till getting minutes at the 3 when Joe W needs a rest....particularly if Patrick redshirts. Till seems to have a good level of athleticism, decent strength, and average lateral quickness for a guy that size......We will probably get a better feel for what he can do this next season.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Just reported by Chad L. On Hawk Central that FM is still pursuing graduate and sit a year transfers. Just an FYI for a you Negative Nancy's.

Also looking to name new assistant next week.

Go read it if you want more info.

Scholarships are (meant) for closers and Till ain't one of them!

I guess I don't get this. Dude did nothing but everything asked of him and actually contributed to wins last year (it was either the Oregon or UConn game where he played a stretch of minutes when Iowa was in foul trouble). He can provide spot minutes when needed due to foul trouble and not hurt the team.

Likely a one-year deal, good for him.

So, the critics would rather Fran leave the scholarship unused, than give it to Till, who has been a great team member for the past 3 years? As I understand the number of scholarships, Fran still has a couple to use on transfers. Seems like the right thing to do to me.

Reactions: owenhawk
Just reported by Chad L. On Hawk Central that FM is still pursuing graduate and sit a year transfers. Just an FYI for a you Negative Nancy's.

Also looking to name new assistant next week.

Go read it if you want more info.
No, he hasn't thrown in the towel, but he'll strike out. Its what he does

Reactions: CarterHall
So, the critics would rather Fran leave the scholarship unused, than give it to Till, who has been a great team member for the past 3 years? As I understand the number of scholarships, Fran still has a couple to use on transfers. Seems like the right thing to do to me.

My understanding is they want Fran to sign 3 starting caliber transfers who can play this year OR sit out this year to play next year. Somehow giving the ship to Till is preventing Fran from signing a transfer.

Reactions: BBHawk
Theres still 2 more open.

All 13 of your scholarship guys are not going to get regular minutes so to think Fran would fill all 3 open ones with contributors for next season was not realistic.
i dont disagree but i also dont think you give one away , which he did with giving one to till .

Class move by Fran

He lost three transfers last year (CW, Ellingson, and Wagner) and did nothing in spring recruiting period last year. He's lost two transfers this year, plus Cook and again he will do nothing in terms of adding talent to the roster to shore up the guard postion for 2019-20. Since he is banking schollies, it really costs him nothing to give Till a scholarship.

Congrats to Riley and a good move by Fran. Maybe Riley can be the next Nic Baer.
Right after pigs fly! He just does not have the ability to play at the BIG level. It was a nice reward for three years of scout team work. Happens in football all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT