ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till is in Transfer Portal

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
He graduates in May; I thought he was done playing college ball. Guess not.

Interesting answer from his mom, too.

Good luck to him!

I am going to miss his presence cheering on the Iowa bench.

3c4f74dd-994c-4f67-ac8c-b369ba3b2b76-190106-mbb_Nebraska-005.JPG

After missing out on the B1G & NCAA tourney he probably figured he might as well play his remaining year and enjoy it. Life is too short. Besides, he was probably told he would only get two years on scholarship.

He is looking for opportunity to play more. Reportedly looking at schools in California to be closer to his sister and watch 49ers

The scholarship probably would have been pulled but he chose to graduate and move on. Nothing scandalous about that. I am sure he would like more playing time elsewhere

He is looking for opportunity to play more. Reportedly looking at schools in California to be closer to his sister and watch 49ers

The scholarship probably would have been pulled but he chose to graduate and move on. Nothing scandalous about that. I am sure he would like more playing time elsewhere
I thought he said closer to his sister's home in the Nashville area.

I wonder if he will have something set up in advance for his new school to skip out on a game again so he can watch his brother in law play football instead?

the person asked if his scholarship was pulled or if it was Riley who made the decision to move on. she did not directly answer that question

I think she just stated facts....which answers the question. I think it was obvious he got a scholarship as a reward for his efforts and contribution...because one was available. It was a given that with incoming players it would get used next year. Seems obvious it wasn't pulled.

Last edited:
I wonder if he will have something set up in advance for his new school to skip out on a game again so he can watch his brother in law play football instead?
Right - a D1 player actually "skipped" a game without permission from the coach and still remained on the team. Not to mention he was fairly non essential as a player and certainly could have been made an example of.

Reactions: GRT2B1
He graduated. Did you ever stop to think that was her answer and there's nothing to add?

He was a walk on who was given a scholarship for a season and barely played with a short bench.
I think someone asking if his scholarship was "pulled" for next season was a fair question based on the following:

Prior to the start of last season, Riley had 2 years of eligibility left. Fran put him on scholarship because he had 2 scholarships that were unused at the time.

With 5 freshmen coming in next year, that put us at 15 on scholarship; there was obviously a lot of speculation on how Fran was going to get to 13. Many speculated that he would possibly have Connor & PMac become walk ons, for example.

Then, a few days before the last home game, we learn Riley is graduating and moving on. That got us down to 14 on scholarship for next year.

Then, yesterday, we learn he wants to play one more year (which was a surprise to me) and is in the transfer portal. I don't recall anyone on here discussing Till possibly entering the transfer portal.

I would be curious to know if in fact Fran told Riley prior to last season that the scholarship was a one year thing & Riley then said "that's great, I will be graduating and probably will transfer and play one more year."

Unfortunately, we'll never find out how that discussion went down. We can only speculate.

We knew Fran would eventually get from 15 to 13 on scholarship. Pemsl's transfer was the final piece to that puzzle. It's interesting how he eventually got there, with Connor & PMac obviously still on scholarship.

But that's part of the story; I was surprised he wanted to play one more year. And then I was surprised to see him in the transfer portal.

Also, I, too, saw that quote where he reportedly is looking at schools in California to be closer to his sister and so he could watch the 49ers. ;)

I think someone asking if his scholarship was "pulled" for next season was a fair question based on the following:

Prior to the start of last season, Riley had 2 years of eligibility left. Fran put him on scholarship because he had 2 scholarships that were unused at the time.

With 5 freshmen coming in next year, that put us at 15 on scholarship; there was obviously a lot of speculation on how Fran was going to get to 13. Many speculated that he would possibly have Connor & PMac become walk ons, for example.

Then, a few days before the last home game, we learn Riley is graduating and moving on. That got us down to 14 on scholarship for next year.

Then, yesterday, we learn he wants to play one more year (which was a surprise to me) and is in the transfer portal. I don't recall anyone on here discussing Till possibly entering the transfer portal.

I would be curious to know if in fact Fran told Riley prior to last season that the scholarship was a one year thing & Riley then said "that's great, I will be graduating and probably will transfer and play one more year."

Unfortunately, we'll never find out how that discussion went down. We can only speculate.

We knew Fran would eventually get from 15 to 13 on scholarship. Pemsl's transfer was the final piece to that puzzle. It's interesting how he eventually got there, with Connor & PMac obviously still on scholarship.

Till was always on scholarship for one year, so I'm not sure why anyone would be curious if his scholarship was "pulled". It was announced he would be on scholarship for 2019-20, nothing more, and that's why Fran brought in the class he did. I'm sure if Till surprised everyone and had a Baer like contribution we may have seen him stay and Connor/Patrick go off scholarship but it was always going to be a one year thing and then go from there.

The Pemsl situation only became a thing because the anticipation of Jordan getting another year.

But that's part of the story; I was surprised he wanted to play one more year. And then I was surprised to see him in the transfer portal.

Also, I, too, saw that quote where he reportedly is looking at schools in California to be closer to his sister and so he could watch the 49ers. ;)

Most of us dont NEED to know the story. Maybe you do?? He gave a very good interview with Tom in Lounge and there were no ill feelings excpressed toward Fran or Iowa.

Till was always on scholarship for one year, so I'm not sure why anyone would be curious if his scholarship was "pulled". It was announced he would be on scholarship for 2019-20, nothing more, and that's why Fran brought in the class he did. I'm sure if Till surprised everyone and had a Baer like contribution we may have seen him stay and Connor/Patrick go off scholarship but it was always going to be a one year thing and then go from there.

The Pemsl situation only became a thing because the anticipation of Jordan getting another year.

If it was obvious that it was a one year scholarship "deal" (when Riley had 2 years of eligibility remaining) then why was everyone on here so curious on how Fran was going to get from 15 to 13 on scholarship?

Most of us dont NEED to know the story. Maybe you do?? He gave a very good interview with Tom in Lounge and there were no ill feelings excpressed toward Fran or Iowa.
Again, there was a ton of speculation/curiosity on how Fran was going to get from 15 to 13 on scholarship. And now we know the 2 pieces to the puzzle. I am glad Riley, and hopefully Cordell, are all happy and ready to move on to their new schools.

Maybe it's none of your business.

If it was obvious that it was a one year scholarship "deal" (when Riley had 2 years of eligibility remaining) then why was everyone on here so curious on how Fran was going to get from 15 to 13 on scholarship?

99% of posters knew that Till would not be on scholarship this year. I'm not sure why anyone thought he would be on scholarship this year, especially after Jordan looked like he would get an extra year AND the class we signed. There was absolutely nothing that said he was getting a scholarship for two years, everything stated he would be on scholarship for 2019-20 and that's it.

Yes, there was a chance he stayed and Connor/Patrick went off scholarship but that was the tiniest of possibilities. Not sure what to tell anyone who was surprised at this.

99% of posters knew that Till would not be on scholarship this year. I'm not sure why anyone thought he would be on scholarship this year, especially after Jordan looked like he would get an extra year AND the class we signed. There was absolutely nothing that said he was getting a scholarship for two years, everything stated he would be on scholarship for 2019-20 and that's it.

Yes, there was a chance he stayed and Connor/Patrick went off scholarship but that was the tiniest of possibilities. Not sure what to tell anyone who was surprised at this.

99%?

Here's the deal. Going into last season, he had 2 yrs eligibility left and once he was put on scholarship, I am pretty sure he can't be taken off because B1G scholarships are not one year deals that are renewed.

And no one knew for sure what was in Riley's future until Fran came out and told reporters this:

I mean it’s no different than when Fran put Stokes on scholarship his RSJR year.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2014/4/8/Meyer_Stokes_Granted_Release_to_Transfer.aspx

Right - a D1 player actually "skipped" a game without permission from the coach and still remained on the team. Not to mention he was fairly non essential as a player and certainly could have been made an example of.

I never said Fran didn't give him permission. I don't agree with it but I'm sure Fran ok'd it. However I think it was pretty lame by the University to lie and say he was home sick instead of telling the truth. This wasn't like he was Jr High or HS player missing a game. He's D1 college athlete on scholarship and you miss a game to watch your brother in law play football (in a random regular season game none the less) that is being played the exact same time your teammates are playing. To me that comes across as pretty pathetic and selfish.

As for not being essential, plenty of games this year with a short bench where you never know when he would be needed with foul trouble like at Maryland and Indiana. Plus it was first game where JBo didn't play.

99%?

Here's the deal. Going into last season, he had 2 yrs eligibility left and once he was put on scholarship, I am pretty sure he can't be taken off because B1G scholarships are not one year deals that are renewed.

And no one knew for sure what was in Riley's future until Fran came out and told reporters this:

All the conversations were how do we get from 14 to 13. Anyone with a brain knows that walk-ons getting scholarships are one year things.

He was essentially an inconsequential deep bench guy who's now moved on. Not much else to it.

99%?

The bolded part is only true for incoming players who sign paperwork saying they will be on scholarship for multiple years. The Big Ten started pushing (requiring?) guaranteed 4/5 year scholarships for incoming players, I'm assuming it also applies to transfers and JUCOs. The requirements are different when awarding a scholarship to a walkon already with the program.

When it was announced that Till was getting a scholarship everything distinctly stated for the 2019-20 year, that has never changed. Not trying to be overly argumentative but there's never been any public discussion on Till being on scholarship for the 20-21 season, so there's no basis for anyone to think his scholarship was "pulled".

I never said Fran didn't give him permission. I don't agree with it but I'm sure Fran ok'd it. However I think it was pretty lame by the University to lie and say he was home sick instead of telling the truth. This wasn't like he was Jr High or HS player missing a game. He's D1 college athlete on scholarship and you miss a game to watch your brother in law play football (in a random regular season game none the less) that is being played the exact same time your teammates are playing. To me that comes across as pretty pathetic and selfish.

As for not being essential, plenty of games this year with a short bench where you never know when he would be needed with foul trouble like at Maryland and Indiana. Plus it was first game where JBo didn't play.
I don't believe there ever was an explanation and if the team didn't feel the need, then so be it. Speculation and people saying what they thought was the reason isn't necessarily fact. And if he was told to stay home for whatever reason, then it's really none of our business. There are all kinds of situations where we know the partial truth. I'm sure this is the case. Fans don't have the right to know everything and the team does not have to bend over backwards to try.

99%?

Pretty sure that doesn't apply to guys who were walk ons originally as has been discussed here. When this scholly limit thing came up months ago, I said I'm sure Fran has this worked out or he wouldn't have signed five guys. Pretty sure this worked out exactly that way. CMac who was a walk on first year was Frans ace in the hole if he needed one. Pretty simple really.

Both Pemsl & Till to UNI?? Ben could use some bigs with experience.

UNI will be good next year, again. They will have a very good backcourt.

Drake could be another option as well. Their center decided to go to Minnesota. Not a bad idea for either or both of them. And DeVries is a darn good coach too.

He graduates in May; I thought he was done playing college ball. Guess not.

Interesting answer from his mom, too.

Good luck to him!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT