ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till is in Transfer Portal

So I'm in that camp that assumed Tills scholarship was only for one year. I thought that all along. I thought that was made clear last year.

Just curious. Did you post about this prior to Feb 28 (when it became public that Riley was going to be part of Senior Day & moving on) or are you just posting about it now? If so, I would love to see the link to that post that you made from before Feb 28. ;)

You say that you assumed Till's scholarship was only for one year. However, why would you just assume that when in 10 years at Iowa Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year like SOME suggested might happen.

So, prior to Feb 28, all we knew for sure was that (1) Till had one more year of eligibility left and (2) based on Fran's history, it was EXTREMELY unlikely that Riley would be asked to walk on if he remained at Iowa.

Just curious. Did you post about this prior to Feb 28 (when it became public that Riley was going to be part of Senior Day & moving on) or are you just posting about it now? If so, I would love to see the link to that post that you made from before Feb 28. ;)

You say that you assumed Till's scholarship was only for one year. However, why would you just assume that when in 10 years at Iowa Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year like SOME suggested might happen.

So, prior to Feb 28, all we knew for sure was that (1) Till had one more year of eligibility left and (2) based on Fran's history, it was EXTREMELY unlikely that Riley would be asked to walk on if he remained at Iowa.
Iowa had an early unexpected departure in Cook or Moss, so he gave it to Till for that year. How is it that everybody but you knew this?

So I'm in that camp that assumed Tills scholarship was only for one year. I thought that all along. I thought that was made clear last year.
I thought all scholarships were 1 yr and renewed by coaches each yr unless otherwise.
Am I wrong in thinking that ? there are scholarships of more than 1 yr?

If only there was some sort of precedence for this type of thing happening.......Let's go all the way back in the time machine.......

“(McCaffery) said right away that they had been talking about this for awhile and they all felt that I deserved a scholarship for this year,” Stokes told Hawkeye Insider. “It’s a dream come true. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity."

Hmmmmm..... how did that one go.......stay for the scholarship year and then transfer for an opportunity for more playing time. From 3 minutes a game to 18.9 minutes a game.

Maybe I need to bold and underline more so it appears that I have a clue. Perhaps there were a few others who were shocked by this development and had been fretting that there was no way Iowa would get to 13 scholarships. Please show me they myriad of people who said. "Till is coming back on scholarship next year and we need to find another way to get down to 13"

Reactions: Legend12
You are incorrect. There were 2 scholarships available for the 2019-2020 season. One of the 2 was awarded to Till, the other went unused; Austin Ash remained a walk on.

The 12 who were on scholarship (with one scholarship unused):

1 CJ Fredrick
2 Patrick McCaffery
3 Joe T
4 Weezy
5 Connor
6 Nunge
7 Garza
8 Pemsl
9 Riley Till
10 JBo
11 Kriener
12 Evelyn

And looking ahead to next season (2020-2021), when speculating about Riley, it is important to note that in 10 years at Iowa Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year like SOME suggested might happen.

So, Till had one more year of eligibility left and it was EXTREMELY unlikely that Riley would be asked to walk on if he remained at Iowa. And prior to Feb 28, when Mark Emmert reported Riley would be part of Senior Day, we had no idea of his plans with one year of eligibility remaining. That's why there was so much speculation and guesses on how Fran was gonna get from 15 on scholarships to 13. You probably recall all the discussions where several posters said that Fran should just have Connor or Patrick walk on (but, again, Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year).
Don't care. If there were indeed 2 available, then they should have given it to someone, they have the money. That's not the point, but you go ahead and think it is. Keeping a walk-on on scholarship is not a good allocation of scholarship money if that player doesn't produce, which they rarely do. It's a feel good story, which it was. He even got to play some, so great, now spend the money for DI quality players.

It doesn't matter if there is a 10 year "history", every year is different, and in a perfect world you have all your scholarships handed out to DI caliber prospects. Stokes and Till ending up with one is great since they were available, sure as hell doesn't mean they would retain them, nor should they if the Coach wants to keep his job.

This thread is the most anybody has talked about Riley Till since he air balled a lay up in the Maryland game....for a little used player he sure went out with a bang...poor Pemsl, nobody's keeping his thread alive...boo-hoo

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
This thread is embarrassing Fran. You’ve spent three pages doubling down on your moronic insinuation that Riley had his scholarship yanked from under him when everybody and their mother told you that you are wrong. And you cited five comments from past conversations to support your point that there was “a ton” of conversation about how to get from 15 to 13 scholarships. Two of those five posts predicted that Riley would be off scholarship, and one was citing a rule which had nothing to do with Till’s situation

Since we love Twitter, here is a tweet that Shelley Till RETWEETED:

If I could bold, underline, italicize, and change the color of “It was a given,” I would do that for you Fran

If he was scheduled to graduate in one year, why would have be given a two-year scholarship (which I don't think there is one. Big Ten schools have to give 4 years at the beginning, but I don't think that dictates 3 or 2 years)?

Reactions: BBHawk
If this damn virus is going to cause this type of pissing match over nothing all spring and summer, it's going to make it an even longer ride.

If there was only a common factor in a pissing match like this............

If only there was some sort of precedence for this type of thing happening.......Let's go all the way back in the time machine.......
“(McCaffery) said right away that they had been talking about this for awhile and they all felt that I deserved a scholarship for this year,” Stokes told Hawkeye Insider. “It’s a dream come true. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity."

Hmmmmm..... how did that one go.......stay for the scholarship year and then transfer for an opportunity for more playing time. From 3 minutes a game to 18.9 minutes a game.

Maybe I need to bold and underline more so it appears that I have a clue. Perhaps there were a few others who were shocked by this development and had been fretting that there was no way Iowa would get to 13 scholarships. Please show me they myriad of people who said. "Till is coming back on scholarship next year and we need to find another way to get down to 13"

Hindsight is 20/20. And you simply have proven hindsight is 20/20 with the garbage you typed up.

And you are pretty slow, too, so I will have to repeat myself, unfortunately.

Again, see post #57 (on page 2, if you can't figure it out. There you will see examples of posters wondering about Riley's scholarship and how we get from 15 to 13 scholarships. NO ONE, as you can see, said he was FOR SURE coming back. Has that sunk in? If so, continue reading (and hopefully comprehending).

Again, we did not find out until Feb 28 (when Mark Emmert of the Register reported it) what was happening with Riley and his scholarship for next season.

And funny you talk about precedent in your garbage of a post. Again, Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year like SOME suggested might happen. Has that sunk in? If so, continue reading (and hopefully comprehending).

So, prior to Feb 28, when Mark Emmert broke the news, all we knew for sure was that (1) Till had one more year of eligibility left and (2) based on Fran's 10 year history at Iowa, it was EXTREMELY unlikely that Riley would be asked to walk on if he remained at Iowa. Has that sunk in? If so, continue reading (and hopefully comprehending).

Again, I simply asked you to share the link where you posted PRIOR to Feb 28 that Riley for sure would be graduating and moving on, just like Darius Stokes.

You can't do that. All you have is hindsight.

You can't do a lot of things, obviously.

This thread is embarrassing Fran. You’ve spent three pages doubling down on your moronic insinuation that Riley had his scholarship yanked from under him when everybody and their mother told you that you are wrong. And you cited five comments from past conversations to support your point that there was “a ton” of conversation about how to get from 15 to 13 scholarships. Two of those five posts predicted that Riley would be off scholarship, and one was citing a rule which had nothing to do with Till’s situation

Since we love Twitter, here is a tweet that Shelley Till RETWEETED:

If I could bold, underline, italicize, and change the color of “It was a given,” I would do that for you Fran

Uno, I never said he had his scholarship pulled. Are you that stupid? Well, of course you are.

Furthermore, Uno, you are an ass. Anybody paying attention knows it. You frequently side with "Legend" on here, which also says a lot.

Your garbage of a post just further illustrates that you are garbage for a human being.

Sometimes I wish this web site were not anonymous so that we could see what posters like you look like and we could see what human garbage looks like.

I don't like garbage, so obviously I don't like you; and you don't like me so it's not surprising that you would chime in, littering this thread with garbage.

If he was scheduled to graduate in one year, why would have be given a two-year scholarship (which I don't think there is one. Big Ten schools have to give 4 years at the beginning, but I don't think that dictates 3 or 2 years)?

Not every student graduates in 4 years, as I am sure you are well aware. Lots of people are on the 5 year plan, When did we find out he was scheduled to graduate and when did we find out he would be part of Senior Day? On Feb 28, when Mark Emmert of the Register reported it. And not before.

So it has happened before.....
The headlines and stories were unusually specific on the award.....
Fran recruited as if it was understood.....
Till’s mom knew and retweeted......

hang your hat on one poster asking a question that didn’t apply to Till(post 57) and another posting that they assumed it would happen(post 57)

Which set of information seems to be more widely accepted? Tip of the day.... if you think everyone else is stupid and doesn’t get it and you are the only enlightened one than usually you need to re think your position..... or keep going, it’s entertaining.

So it has happened before.....
The headlines and stories were unusually specific on the award.....
Fran recruited as if it was understood.....
Till’s mom knew and retweeted......

hang your hat on one poster asking a question that didn’t apply to Till(post 57) and another posting that they assumed it would happen(post 57)

Which set of information seems to be more widely accepted? Tip of the day.... if you think everyone else is stupid and doesn’t get it and you are the only enlightened one than usually you need to re think your position..... or keep going, it’s entertaining.

Yep, hindsight is 20/20 and that's all you have, Cid.

You only figured everything out after everything was made public on Feb 28.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh this morning. It's nice to laugh in these scary times. I think I might start following you on here.

Anyway, please keep posting so I can keep laughing, and know that I appreciate you!

And funny you talk about precedent in your garbage of a post. Again, Fran has never awarded a scholarship one year and then asked the player to walk on the following year like SOME suggested might happen. Has that sunk in? If so, continue reading (and hopefully comprehending).

He did the same thing with Darius Stokes. Stokes was given a scholarship when when opened up when Pat Ingram transferred, but it was a one year deal and he would have had to walk on his last season if he chose to return.

Uno, I never said he had his scholarship pulled. Are you that stupid? Well, of course you are.

Furthermore, Uno, you are an ass. Anybody paying attention knows it. You frequently side with "Legend" on here, which also says a lot.

Your garbage of a post just further illustrates that you are garbage for a human being.

Sometimes I wish this web site were not anonymous so that we could see what posters like you look like and we could see what human garbage looks like.

I don't like garbage, so obviously I don't like you; and you don't like me so it's not surprising that you would chime in, littering this thread with garbage.
I’ll apologize for how harsh my post was, but after three pages, what was apparent to every other poster on this forum was still not to you so I tried to be direct.

Secondly, I never called you anything. I said that your insinuation that Riley’s scholarship was yanked (which you did INSINUATE) was moronic... not that you are. You respond by calling me stupid, an ass, and a garbage human being. But clearly I’m the bad guy

Last, if you saw me or met me, you’d quickly realize that I both look normal and act normal (because I am normal, and not human garbage). Try not to harbor so much hate for anonymous posters online - it’s unhealthy. If you’re ever in Omaha, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer. In the meantime, please stop spamming Hawkeye Report with tweets

I’ll apologize for how harsh my post was, but after three pages, what was apparent to every other poster on this forum was still not to you so I tried to be direct.

Secondly, I never called you anything. I said that your insinuation that Riley’s scholarship was yanked (which you did INSINUATE) was moronic... not that you are. You respond by calling me stupid, an ass, and a garbage human being. But clearly I’m the bad guy

Last, if you saw me or met me, you’d quickly realize that I both look normal and act normal (because I am normal, and not human garbage). Try not to harbor so much hate for anonymous posters online - it’s unhealthy. If you’re ever in Omaha, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer. In the meantime, please stop spamming Hawkeye Report with tweets

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

He did the same thing with Darius Stokes. Stokes was given a scholarship when when opened up when Pat Ingram transferred, but it was a one year deal and he would have had to walk on his last season if he chose to return.

We will not accept that fact....just because it happened before doesn't mean anything.....nor does the Iowa basketball tweet or the players mom retweet.....FEBRUARY 28th, NO ONE KNEW BEFORE THEN AND I MEAN NO ONE. EVERYONE WAS PANICKING WONDERING HOW IOWA WAS GOING TO GET DOWN TO 13.
Heck even the head coach and athletic director didn't know and they willingly recruited over their allotted scholarships. Just details that refuse to be accepted. ;)

Reactions: skydog0784

I can't even get out of your first paragraph without pointing out another one of your false claims.

You said it was apparent to every other poster on this forum that Riley would not be on scholarship at Iowa for 2020-2021. Again, simply look at post #57 that proves you dead wrong. As everyone can see in that post, there were a lot of questions, guesses and unknowns from several posters when it came to Riley and how Iowa got from 15 on scholarship to 13. And these are some good posters, too. So, no, UNO, it was not apparent to every other poster on this forum.

And in paragraph #2 you tell another lie. Good god.

I neither stated nor insinuated that Riley had his scholarship pulled and you know why? Because I was not in the loop on what was going on. None of us were. Heck, no one was even sure if Riley was on target to graduate in 4 years or if he was on a 5 year plan. No one knew what was going on until Feb 28. But here you are, again making another false claim. By me sharing a tweet where someone else asked if his scholarship was pulled does not equate to me insinuating anything.

Uno, when you make things up twice in 2 paragraphs and when you can't state the facts, that is pure garbage behavior.

The Feb 28 tweets
from Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register that answered everyone's questions and made things rather apparent:

wow- i think the social isolation is taking its toll.

That it has. As well as being considered "essential" and having a bunch of time and boredom at work. We have a couple of notes.........

"Not to mention I believe Till was put on scholarship this year? Could be the understanding it was a “one year deal”?"
Hawkeyeinmo - Jan 18

"PMac can't go to walk-on. Connor could and of course Till can as well."
Frankburns00 - Jan 18

"We are fine for next season, if everyone returns. Till and Connor can both return to walk-on status because they were not recruited scholarship athletes when they joined the program."
Frankburns00 gets it.

Do you see Pemsl & Till leaving? This was Frans question.

"Yes, along with Garza...."
IllQCHawk - Jan 18

Do you see Pemsl & Till leaving? Frans question

Probably more like:
"Till's schollie won't be renewed after this year.
Pemsl could leave, or just "retire" most likely."
LaQuinta Hawkeye - Jan 18

"Till won't be on scholarship next year"
HoustonREDHawk - Jan 18

"It will be interesting who doesn't come back next year, Pemsl and Till are the likely candidates."

Some people seemed to get it before it was "known"

Again, Fran is arguing that no one knew. The argument is pointless because he's going to say no one knew, even though a lot of people figured this to be the case, and he will ask everyone for proof they thought it. For some reason he gets satisfaction by being "right" when saying no one knew with 100% absolute certainty that Till wouldn't be taking a scholarship next year.

The whole argument started because Fran thought it was a "fair" question for someone to ask if Till's scholarship was pulled. He believes Till would have been on scholarship next year if he didn't leave, so there's no changing his mind. This argument is pointless.

Again, Fran is arguing that no one knew. The argument is pointless because he's going to say no one knew, even though a lot of people figured this to be the case, and he will ask everyone for proof they thought it. For some reason he gets satisfaction by being "right" when saying no one knew with 100% absolute certainty that Till wouldn't be taking a scholarship next year..

But he's not right...plenty of people knew Till would not be on scholarship next season.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
But he's not right...plenty of people knew Till would not be on scholarship next season.
This. Including (and most importantly) Riley Till and his family, who are all likely not only okay with it, but equally as grateful to Fran and Iowa for awarding him a scholarship during his final year there as Fran is to Riley for his time as a Hawkeye. Why Fran (the poster) has spent three pages trying to create doubt that Iowa handled this properly is beyond me

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
I can't even get out of your first paragraph without pointing out another one of your false claims.

You said it was apparent to every other poster on this forum that Riley would not be on scholarship at Iowa for 2020-2021. Again, simply look at post #57 that proves you dead wrong. As everyone can see in that post, there were a lot of questions, guesses and unknowns from several posters when it came to Riley and how Iowa got from 15 on scholarship to 13. And these are some good posters, too. So, no, UNO, it was not apparent to every other poster on this forum.

And in paragraph #2 you tell another lie. Good god.

I neither stated nor insinuated that Riley had his scholarship pulled and you know why? Because I was not in the loop on what was going on. None of us were. Heck, no one was even sure if Riley was on target to graduate in 4 years or if he was on a 5 year plan. No one knew what was going on until Feb 28. But here you are, again making another false claim. By me sharing a tweet where someone else asked if his scholarship was pulled does not equate to me insinuating anything.

Uno, when you make things up twice in 2 paragraphs and when you can't state the facts, that is pure garbage behavior.

The Feb 28 tweets
from Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register that answered everyone's questions and made things rather apparent:

You’re off the rails man

Reactions: iafan44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT