ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till was part of Senior Night. Pemsl Transferring. We are now at 13 on Scholarship for 2020-21

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
April 3 Update:

Riley Till was part of Senior Night. But we were still at 14 on scholarship for next season and needed to get down to 13 on scholarship. With Pemsl announcing today that he is transferring, we are now at 13 on scholarship for the 2020-21 season.

Original Post:

We need to get down to 13 on scholarship, of course. We are currently at 14 on scholarship for 2020-2021.

The 3 Seniors who were honored on Senior Night:

Ryan Kriener
Bakari Evelyn
Riley Till--redshirted in 2016-2017. As you can see in what follows, he's graduating and will be moving on, per Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

We currently stand at 14 on scholarship.

The 2020-2021 Roster as of now:

5 Freshmen
6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)
6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)
6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)
6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)
6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

3 Sophomores
6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

3 Juniors
6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure; however, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship).

6'9" F Jack Nunge (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

3 Seniors
6'10" C Luka Garza (****)

6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); had surgery on his knee Dec 18, 2018, which caused him to miss the remainder of the 2018-2019 season; was scheduled to graduate in 2020; since he played in just two games in the 2018-2019 season (logging a total of just 31 minutes), he will be granted a medical redshirt for an additional year.

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); was originally scheduled to graduate in 2020; had surgery on his right hip in May 2019; appeared in only 10 games in 2019; on December 19, 2019 he underwent surgery on his left hip (6-9 month recovery period); will apply for a medical hardship and for one more year of eligibility.

Notable Walk on players:

Senior
6'2" Guard Austin Ash

Last edited:
Is Till going to transfer and play his final year elsewhere, or be done with college entirely?

If it were Pemsl, then I would think he’d be honored on Senior night as well. His game is starting to come around a bit and he might be able to give us some good minutes occasionally next year. Hopefully he can get healthy & stay focused if he does come back.

Assuming no attrition, it will be Connor or Patrick going to walk on status. I pray that Patrick gets back on the game court next year.

Is Till going to transfer and play his final year elsewhere, or be done with college entirely?

images

I have heard some rumors floating that the answer is yes. One school I have heard a few times is Belmont. Nothing official or definite of course. Just that there may be some interest.

IMO Connor and Patrick should be walk-ons. Do they both deserve to be on scholarship? Yes. Could they afford to not be? yes.

I totally get what you are saying but by that logic we go to the richest player and say that they should walkon instead. My assumption is that would be Garza.

I have heard some rumors floating that the answer is yes. One school I have heard a few times is Belmont. Nothing official or definite of course. Just that there may be some interest.

I totally get what you are saying but by that logic we go to the richest player and say that they should walkon instead. My assumption is that would be Garza.
LOL

Reactions: 24 so far

Interesting. Belmont is where Evan Brauns from Iowa City West will be playing next year.

Pat and Connor could each have 50% scholarships. Many athletes at U if I are on partials, including most of the wrestlers.

If the same kids were sons of wealthy people who don’t coach basketball, they’d not get a second thought about being on scholarship.

Their parents wouldn't stand to directly financially benefit from Iowa winning games like Fran does.

Fran pays out the cost of a scholarship to keep JBO on the team and makes 10 times that if Iowa has a successful season.

I can't remember the exact amounts but his bonuses are very perfomance oriented.

And the team improved immensely after he was hurt.
True but still, he’d be basically asking to take a third consecutive year off. I don’t disagree about your comment on improvement. But unless he’s going D2, I don’t think he’d want to essentially take 3 years off.

Reactions: taHawkeyes
Putting Patrick and Connor on 50% Scholarship makes a lot of sense.

Ellingson had a great year at Drake as a senior transfer. I wonder if Riley will consider Drake? The Bulldogs have a very good center, but no “4”.. Riley could be a bona fide 4 in the MoValley.

Reactions: Row55

Ellingson had a great year at Drake as a senior transfer. I wonder if Riley will consider Drake? The Bulldogs have a very good center, but no “4”.. Riley could be a bona fide 4 in the MoValley.
I mean this as no disrespect to Riley but his best bet to actually getting PT would be a really low major or a D2. I think even Drake/MVC is too high for him and they have a few guys coming off RS next year.

Typically our walk ons have the talent to be a D2 player coming in (Baer’s only scholarship offers were D2). Maybe Truman State to join Horner?

Their parents wouldn't stand to directly financially benefit from Iowa winning games like Fran does.

Fran pays out the cost of a scholarship to keep JBO on the team and makes 10 times that if Iowa has a successful season.

I can't remember the exact amounts but his bonuses are very perfomance oriented.

seems like a good investment on frans part

Yes, it would but as someone already posted you CAN'T give 1/2 scholorships in basketball D1.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I think we've been over this before but, Patrick is not able to be taken off scholarship and moved to walk-on status. Big Ten has rule that states players who begin their playing career on scholarship may not be switched to walk-on status and remain on the team.
However, Connor, if you remember, did start off as a walk-on. So, Connor is able to be moved back to walk-on status because he started off as a walk-on.

Cant do that.

Are you suggesting that a head coach pays for a player to attend school/be on the team?

So you think that his getting hurt made other players play better?
We've played better defense since Bohannon has sat out (he can't guard a pick and roll well) and we are better at getting the ball into the post. That being said the kid is an offensive stud and I am more than happy to see him stay another year on the team. He is invaluable at the end of the games. I could see him be the Big Ten 6th man of the year next year and be "the man" at clutch time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT