ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Gale Sayers

Greatest running back I've ever seen and, from all accounts, an even greater human being.

Gale Sayers was "almost" a Hawkeye. But apparently unable to connect with coach Jerry Burns. Instead the Hawkeyes recruited Willie Flemming.

Gale Sayers was "almost" a Hawkeye. But apparently unable to connect with coach Jerry Burns. Instead the Hawkeyes recruited Willie Flemming.

I’m glad he wasn’t. Such a special talent would have been horribly wasted on those awful teams.

you forgot WALTER PAYTON he is the best back of all time
time

It’s been my experience from every Bears fan that got to see them both play that Sayers was better. They all compare him to Reggie Bush at USC in style but better

I watched many of Sayer’s games. It is always difficult to compare athletes from different eras. I believe Gale Sayers and Jim Brown were 2 that would be great in any era. No disrespect to Payton, Sanders, LaDameon, Thurman Thomas, OJ, Tony Dorset, Bo or many others—all great, but if I was starting a team and had first pick on 2 running backs I would take Gale Sayers and Jim Brown.

I think it was Henry Carr, a world class sprinter out of Detroit, they were recruiting. Sayers and Carr visited Iowa the same weekend and Sayers thought Iowa was more interested in Carr. Sayers decided to go to Kansas who was pretty good at the time. Iowa ended up not getting Carr either. Willie Flemming was recruited in 1956, I think. He only played in 1958 before he flunked out of school.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
In the 1965 NFL draft Chicago had two first round picks. They chose RB Sayers from Kansas and LB Butkus from Illinois. You don't get many first rounds better than that.

And it got them one winning season and zero playoff games

Being born and living his early years in Wichita it sounded like he felt he was more of a Kansan than a Nebraskan and thus ended up in Lawrence. I still vividly remember his 99 yard touchdown run against the Big Red.

I think it was Henry Carr, a world class sprinter out of Detroit, they were recruiting. Sayers and Carr visited Iowa the same weekend and Sayers thought Iowa was more interested in Carr. Sayers decided to go to Kansas who was pretty good at the time. Iowa ended up not getting Carr either. Willie Flemming was recruited in 1956, I think. He only played in 1958 before he flunked out of school.
Thanks 'unclesammy', interesting backstory. Willie Ray was from famous Smith family of Beaumont, Texas (Bubba, Tody, Willie). He was pure excitement when he touch the football, old timers will remember him well.

Reactions: unclesammy
While being interviewed during a broadcast of a Chicago Cubs game on September 8, 2010, Sayers said he had originally intended to go to the University of Iowa. Sayers said that he decided against going to Iowa after the Iowa head coach, Jerry Burns, did not have time to meet Sayers during his one campus visit.

googled it

'unclesammy', regarding Henry Carr, I believe Henry did enroll for school in Iowa, at Burlington CC (Burlington, Iowa). Playing basketball one year/one semester (?). Then moving on to become a world class sprinter/track and field.

Not to discredit him on his day of passing but nobody’s better than Barry Sanders. Nobody

Jim Brown, Sanders, Payton--all great backs. There's no disputing that. But anyone who thinks they--or anyone else--was better than Gale Sayers never saw Sayers play. I saw all of them. And I stand by my observation that Sayers was the best, period. Of course, opinions like this are subjective, so there will always be differences that can never be resolved. And that's OK.

Jim Brown, Sanders, Payton--all great backs. There's no disputing that. But anyone who thinks they--or anyone else--was better than Gale Sayers never saw Sayers play. I saw all of them. And I stand by my observation that Sayers was the best, period. Of course, opinions like this are subjective, so there will always be differences that can never be resolved. And that's OK.
Agree 100%. He played behind crappy lines in college and with the Bears. 22 touchdowns as a rookie in the NFL in 12/14 games (I don't remember when the NFL switched) and the 49er game with 6 touchdowns on 16 touches are both incredible numbers. His NFL highlight reel is still unparalleled even though it was basically from 5 years. Best ever!

Gale Sayers was the best person of the great running backs without a doubt. The best back was Barry Sanders. I cannot remember the viking D lineman's name who stated trying to tackle Barry was like trying to tackle smoke.

He was Barry Sanders before there was Barry Sanders. If Gale Sayers got to play on astroturf he may not have been tackled!

If it's todays turf maybe. Old turf and he may not have made it through a game, that stuff was brutal on knees.

you forgot WALTER PAYTON he is the best back of all time
time
I second Sweetness. The man can run and by far the best blocking running back ever. Sweetness threw at least 11 touchdown passes. You can argue who was the best runner or had the most yardage. Sweetness was the best to play that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT