ADVERTISEMENT

RIP in Peace Charlie Brown

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Sad story:

Peter Robbins, a former child actor who provided the original voice for “Peanut” Charlie Brown, has reportedly died by suicide.
Relatives on Tuesday confirmed Robbins' passing to Fox 5 San Diego. He was 65.

Robbins, whose real name was Louis Nanasi, was born in Los Angeles in 1956. He began acting at he age of 7 in 1963, the same year he was cast to voice Charlie Brown. He also went on to play the the beloved blockhead, created by Charles Schulz, in holiday specials including “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” “A Boy Named Charlie Brown” and “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”

His passing comes after a lifelong battle with mental illness, including bipolar disorder, and addiction. In 2015, Robbins was sentenced to time behind bars for threatening the manager of a mobile home park and San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore. He served more than four years of his five-year sentence and he also spent time in rehab for addiction issues.

Following his release in 2019, Robbins discussed his mental health challenges and urged those with similar struggles to seek out help.
“I would recommend to anybody that has bipolar disorder to take it seriously because your life can turn around in the span of a month, like it did to me,” he told Fox 5. “I came out of prison and I’m a better person for it. I’m much more humble and grateful and thankful that I lived through the experience.”

In addition to voicing Charlie Brown for four years, Robbins appeared on the 1968 comedy “Blondie” and guest starred on several television shows including “Rawhide,” “The Munsters,” “The Donna Reed Show,” “F Troop,” “Get Smart” and “My Three Sons,” according to Deadline.
Robbins quit acting in 1972 and went on to work as a real estate agent in San Diego. He also briefly worked as a DJ in Palm Springs.

D_NQ_NP_806464-MLM26430055897_112017-F.jpg

10 minutes is still enough time to garner a Pepsi toast.

cheers-pepsi.gif

Reactions: cigaretteman
Watching ‘It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown’ and ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ have been annual traditions for me and my 10 and 7 year-old sons since they were born… just as it was for me when I was growing up.

Didn’t realize he had mental issues. Sad.

RIP, Chuck.

Watching ‘It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown’ and ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ have been annual traditions for me and my 10 and 7 year-old sons since they were born… just as it was for me when I was growing up.

Didn’t realize he had mental issues. Sad.

RIP, Chuck.
Same for us with our kids. Wish I hadn’t read this to be honest. I cherish those two specials - loved them as a child, love watching them now with my kids. Not sure I’ll be able to enjoy them the same way knowing this back story now.

ADVERTISEMENT