ADVERTISEMENT

RIP non-Playoff Bowl Games

DBQ Hawk

HR All-American
Oct 16, 2005
It's pretty clear that, outside of the playoff, players just don't get that excited about their bowl game any longer.

More than ever are skipping them, and the ones that do play, often seem less than motivated to do so (as witnessed by some of the bowl game blowouts we've seen in recent years, when one team obviously "just doesn't want to be there"). I still can't believe all the OSU starters who didn't even want to play in the Rose Bowl last season. THE ROSE BOWL. It just blows my mind

It's just as clear to me that once the 12 team playoff starts, that will signal the end of bowl season as we know it. A few may limp along for the 7-8 teams that couldn't make a playoff. But the days of the 6th B10 team playing the 5th Pac-12 team will be over. By 2030, It'll be the Playoff, and nothing else

Which I find rather sad

It's pretty clear that, outside of the playoff, players just don't get that excited about their bowl game any longer.

More than ever are skipping them, and the ones that do play, often seem less than motivated to do so (as witnessed by some of the bowl game blowouts we've seen in recent years, when one team obviously "just doesn't want to be there"). I still can't believe all the OSU starters who didn't even want to play in the Rose Bowl last season. THE ROSE BOWL. It just blows my mind

It's just as clear to me that once the 12 team playoff starts, that will signal the end of bowl season as we know it. A few may limp along for the 7-8 teams that couldn't make a playoff. But the days of the 6th B10 team playing the 5th Pac-12 team will be over. By 2030, It'll be the Playoff, and nothing else

Which I find rather sad

I agree that college football as we know it is and has already changed dramatically. But I still see there being a place for the top 40 teams in the country… I mean let’s be honest there’s no need to have the NIT are the CBIT or The Arruda Whuda Duda in basketball either but they do it…

As another said, 5-7, 6-6 teams in a bowl games, I’ve never really loved that. Including the few times that it happened us…

Honestly, I think if nothing else they should still have divisions in the Big Ten and the seventh place team from the west should play the seventh place team from the east at the end of the year and so on and so on and so on. That would still generate some fandom and you play it on alternating campuses

Last edited:

Which I find rather sad
The bowl system will need a major overhaul. Some of these tie ins should be broken away and handed down to G5 conferences, and the minimum requirement for P5 bowl eligibility should be 7 wins. They also need to get back to legitimately assigning placements for these games.

Like the 4th place SEC team vs the 4th place B10 team in the Citrus Bowl or whatever. Get these matchups to mean something again, moreso for the P5 programs, than the G5 teams.

ESPN will be a big player where the future of bowl season is headed. Not only do they televise nearly every bowl game, they also own and operate many of the non-playoff bowls. If they get a piece of or all of the CFP when the next contract ensues, it'll be interesting how they approach the other bowls. If they stay invested in them, they won't go anywhere for awhile.

Also, the expansion of the playoffs will happen when the next bowl cycle starts. The key to it as well is what will ticket sales and television viewership be like for the non-playoff bowls. If that sharply falls off, the future of the bowls could be in peril.

I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach and see how this all plays out. I've actually enjoyed this time of year and watching all the bowl games. It would be sad to see them go by the wayside.

The trouble is, if you want players to not immediately enter the transfer portal and skip the bowl games...you're going to have to incentivize the players to WANT to play one last game before transferring.

The number of players opting out for draft purposes is relatively small in comparison.

The bowl system will need a major overhaul. Some of these tie ins should be broken away and handed down to G5 conferences, and the minimum requirement for P5 bowl eligibility should be 7 wins. They also need to get back to legitimately assigning placements for these games.

Like the 4th place SEC team vs the 4th place B10 team in the Citrus Bowl or whatever. Get these matchups to mean something again, moreso for the P5 programs, than the G5 teams.

I love this idea!!

The trouble is, if you want players to not immediately enter the transfer portal and skip the bowl games...you're going to have to incentivize the players to WANT to play one last game before transferring.

The number of players opting out for draft purposes is relatively small in comparison.

Yeah that’s not going to happen, and if your skipping town, your skipping town….

And if you want to sit out to protect yourself for the NFL draft, that’s fine too!

The rest of the team still deserves to play if they want to?

Reactions: Hendy hawk

I could very well see that happening. As I mentioned in another post, ESPN owns many of these bowls. I could see them dropping some of these bowls. Let's face it, in order to have more playoff teams, the number of available bowl-eligible teams will drop. And it wouldn't hurt in order to give the surviving bowls more of an identity.

If ESPN doesn't get any part of the next CFP TV rights, most of the bowls won't go anywhere. As mentioned elsewhere, they'll treat the non-playoff bowls like they do the NIT, even though they don't have the big dance rights.

Last edited:
Bowl games are about $, like most of FBS football.
If there are $, there will be bowls.

With an actual, functional playoff system with 12 teams I won't be sorry for the demise of the bahamas, boca raton, boise etc. And that's just the Bs. There are multiple other garbage bowl games that could go away.
Whatever survives will be because whoever is making the decision about broadcasting thinks that the $ makes sense.

There are plenty of guys on the Hawkeye team that are very excited to get some playing time in a bowl game. On top of that there are plenty of fans ready to watch the Hawks play another game and try to end the year with a win. If you "don't care about bowl games anymore" then don't watch em. Give you more time to sit on the message boards and bitch back and forth to each other.

There are plenty of guys on the Hawkeye team that are very excited to get some playing time in a bowl game. On top of that there are plenty of fans ready to watch the Hawks play another game and try to end the year with a win. If you "don't care about bowl games anymore" then don't watch em. Give you more time to sit on the message boards and bitch back and forth to each other.

It is odd!

Yes, I think it's a bit early to put bowl game season on a death bed. I don't think anyone knows what the future holds. I highly doubt those making the decisions about these bowl games know what the future holds at this point. As others have pointed out, if they see the market supports the existence of the bowl games, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

For me, this really is the most wonderful time of the year. The holidays going on and the bowl games taking place (seeing 2 teams who I probably haven't seen this season, and 2 schools that most likely have never played each other before), and realizing this is the last time until Labor Day college football will be played.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it's a bit early to put bowl game season on a death bed. I don't think anyone knows what the future holds. I highly doubt those making the decisions about these bowl games know what the future holds at this point. As others have pointed out, if they see the market supports the existence of the bowl games, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

For me, this really is the most wonderful time of the year. The holidays going on and the bowl games taking place (seeing 2 teams who I probably haven't seen this season, and 2 schools that most likely have never played each other before), and realizing this is the last time until Labor Day college football will be played.

Yeah the bitterness and hopefulness of some that they “finally” go away is silly. I don’t even get their motivation, but some of them act angry about it!

The game is changing before our eyes, but some of these games have been good. Gives us a glimpse of the future and what some of the younger class can do.
We are just going to have to adjust our expectations……

Reactions: dadster
I like bowl games. I watch some and could care less about others.

But, I think OP has a solid point. The drama (if there was any) will be completely gone when the playoffs go to 12.

I guess I would ask the following ...

Question #1. Do the players like the non-upper tier bowl games? Like Music City, Duke's Mayo, etc. Or would they just rather have the season end in November?

That's it.

I'm pretty sure the coaches like them for the extra practice. The fans mostly like them as a Holiday getaway or something to watch on TV.

If the players don't like them, then I don't want them

Reactions: cmhawks99
Football is the only sport that interests me anymore so I admit that I'll watch at least portions of quite a few games. I also think that 86 out of 131 FBS teams playing in bowl games is participation ribbon level BS.

 Have the FCS playoff game on right now.

Last edited:
I like bowl games. I watch some and could care less about others.

But, I think OP has a solid point. The drama (if there was any) will be completely gone when the playoffs go to 12.

I guess I would ask the following ...

Question #1. Do the players like the non-upper tier bowl games? Like Music City, Duke's Mayo, etc. Or would they just rather have the season end in November?

That's it.

I'm pretty sure the coaches like them for the extra practice. The fans mostly like them as a Holiday getaway or something to watch on TV.

If the players don't like them, then I don't want them
An overwhelming majority of the players want to play. No question about it! As do the coaches.

The portal is messing things up lately. That date will get moved to January after this year, IMHO. Lots need to change with the portal to not be somewhat stable for college teams. What. A. Mess.

That noted, I am all for reducing the number of games. AND maybe paying the players something. Although it will not stop the opt out players. That's here to stay.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Even the worst bowl games get ok ratings. ESPN is the one creating more bowl games, they aren't looking to drop them. They fill their late December afternoons with bowl games that pull much better ratings than the usual talking head shows.

Last year, the lower bowl games showed increased ratings. People watch, players want to play, coaches want to coach. Sometimes you have a few more younger guys playing in the games. Fine with me, it is still good football and the last game of their lives for many players.

Make the games matter by motivating the winners with money. Something like $40 per player of the winning team, and only $5 to the losers. This should get the players fired up and get the effort going on the field.
$40, you say? Okay then.....

Reactions: Moral
Even the worst bowl games get ok ratings. ESPN is the one creating more bowl games, they aren't looking to drop them. They fill their late December afternoons with bowl games that pull much better ratings than the usual talking head shows.

Last year, the lower bowl games showed increased ratings. People watch, players want to play, coaches want to coach. Sometimes you have a few more younger guys playing in the games. Fine with me, it is still good football and the last game of their lives for many players.

Exactly. Maybe minus the Celebration Bowl, when the TV ratings come out for today, chances are you'll find all of today's bowl games had more viewers than any of today's college basketball games.

I know times have changed some since then, but I remember the 2016 Vegas Bowl on ABC was a 24-point game between 2 G5 schools. It had more viewers than CBS's college basketball game between Kentucky & North Carolina.

Make the games matter by motivating the winners with money. Something like $40 per player of the winning team, and only $5 to the losers. This should get the players fired up and get the effort going on the field.
WHAT IS THIS? A GAME FOR ANTS? WE'D NEED THE PAYOUT TO BE AT LEAST 2-3 TIMES LARGER!!!!!
Animated GIF

• Love
Reactions: Moral
All I know is stadiums are still filling up at the “meaningless” conference games (no conference title implications). Might as well call them exhibition games as well. But to those who attend and the fans who watch at home, they’ve got pride and still want to see their team win.

Reactions: Bishop1971
What I think will happen is once they expand it to 12 teams it will be pretty much the same teams (Ohio State, Michigan Ala, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame in the playoffs for a few years. Then they will expand to about 20 to try and keep interest. Bowl games outside of the playoffs will go away once they expand to 12. Lower tier programs like Iowa, Iowa State, Purdue etc. will play their regular season games and once they realize they have too many losses to get to the playoffs there is nothing left for them to play for. Interest will drop for each team. Players will start opting out for the rest of the season. Just like what is happening now for the bowl games. It will just happen sooner. What could happen is teams in the playoffs could go out and get players from these lower tier teams to transfer during the season. Is there anything to stop them from doing this now? Why not go and get a good kicker for the playoff run. Lower tier programs will be like the minors as you say. The fan bases of the big time programs are happy with this because it does not really affect them. I hope this does not happen because I love going to a bowl game in December/January.

Reactions: IBurnEasy
Can't argue that these consolation bowls have gotten pretty lame with all the opt outs but with Gary and Kirk's chicken shit nonconference scheduling philosophy it's one of the only ways to have interesting match ups, even if it doesn't mean much.

Even with the benefit of playing very few good nonconference teams and being in the weaker division and missing out on OSU/Mich a lot the only team that would have qualified for the 12 team playoff these last 12 seasons was 2015. It took the fluke of having the 3 worst East programs on the schedule for that to happen. It's only going to get harder with the west going away and ucla and usc joining. For Iowa fans these non NY6 bowls are about all there is to look forward to so I'll watch. Could be worse

Which I find rather sad
I miss the old days like in the 80's when you had to be a ranked team to even make a bowl. Now a days 6-6 and sometimes 5-7 gets you a bowl invite which is beyond dumb.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Again, it comes down whether there's a market for these games; if there's money to be made. Until the time comes when the bowl games are no longer money makers, they're not going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT