ADVERTISEMENT

RIP non-Playoff Bowl Games

Don't anyone mistake my original post as putting down bowl games, because I frigging LOVE bowl games. But they seem to becoming devalued each year

Oddly enough, I think the smaller the bowl--like for MAC teams, or AAC teams--the more important it seems to them

Maybe it's because they don't get Power 5 national TV games, or publicity, or they don't have as many players sitting out as "big" teams do. I do hope they never get rid of those types of games

And yes, as long as ESPN makes $$ on the games, they'll keep them (noting colleges usually only break even at best from all but the most major of bowls)

Time will tell. But I think the 12 team Playoff will be a game-changer--literally and figuratively

Don't anyone mistake my original post as putting down bowl games, because I frigging LOVE bowl games. But they seem to becoming devalued each year

Oddly enough, I think the smaller the bowl--like for MAC teams, or AAC teams--the more important it seems to them

Maybe it's because they don't get Power 5 national TV games, or publicity, or they don't have as many players sitting out as "big" teams do. I do hope they never get rid of those types of games

And yes, as long as ESPN makes $$ on the games, they'll keep them (noting colleges usually only break even at best from all but the most major of bowls)

Time will tell. But I think the 12 team Playoff will be a game-changer--literally and figuratively
The increase in Bowls have given their decent teams a chance to play in the post season instead of just the champion.

Every year bowls get devalued more and more. 12 teams will make it worse. But from Dec 27th to Dec. 31st until around 10 P.M. you have a large group who doesn't have to work. Christmas is over and New years isn't here yet. Not a lot to do. ESPN sees that and can put Bowls out there to watch. A full on 32 team playoffs fill weekends but not the sweet spot when all there is are bowl games now.

So I assume you won't be watching the Hawks in their bowl game, since they don't deserve to play in the post season?
Ha, I actually don’t care that much. But essentially that’s what the playoff nuts are saying.

I actually believe expanding the playoffs is just going to provide more clunkers of games and interest will drop even more. I have stopped watching the playoffs because 70% of the games are blowouts….having Bama play number 12 is just going to be worse.

I would go the other way than many of you, once the playoff goes to 12 teams, allow the remaining bowls to get the best matchups they can regardless of record or conference affiliation. Tampa for instance is still a great bowl destination for the fans and players alike. Why not allow them to invite whoever they want that they think will draw fans and get eyeballs on tv? I would be fine if that meant Florida vs Nebraska in the Reliaquest bowl this year.

I’d remove conference affiliation, move the opening of the transfer portal to the day after the NC game, I’d put in a rule that unless a coach is fired, they must finish out coaching their bowl games before leaving. Bowl games would not count toward red shirt status. And if the Gaspirilla bowl wants 4-8 Nebraska and 5-7 Iowa State and their fan bases sell out the stadium, then why not?

Bowl games are about $, like most of FBS football.
If there are $, there will be bowls.

With an actual, functional playoff system with 12 teams I won't be sorry for the demise of the bahamas, boca raton, boise etc. And that's just the Bs. There are multiple other garbage bowl games that could go away.
Whatever survives will be because whoever is making the decision about broadcasting thinks that the $ makes sense.

I think you are totally correct that there will be a lot of $$ behind bowl games against a #2 SEC West Tenn against a #3 Big Ten Penn St. These are mostly blue blood programs with rabid fan bases who will fill the stadium, plus all the seats that are bought up by businesses and given to fans for free.

TV will jump all over bowl games like that because all they have to do is rent cameras at the site and show up with a couple of talking heads. Cheap production costs and lots of ad revenue.

And dont you all realize that sports is the ultimate, original reality TV show. Easy to produce and put on TV, built in pauses for commercials, no actors to pay just TV rights, etc and they can fill up 4 hours of programming.

Last edited:
If you don’t finish in the top 12 you don’t deserve to play in the post season.

Yes, because all life is about is winning it all! By the way, hanging out iMessage boards, and this goes for me just like you isn’t indicative of winning it all in life…

Like my wife says, it’s really sort of miserable ,grown men and some women wasting their time talking to anonymous strangers on a message board about football or basketball nonetheless, gross!!

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
Yes, because all life is about is winning it all! By the way, hanging out iMessage boards, and this goes for me just like you isn’t indicative of winning it all in life…

Like my wife says, it’s really sort of miserable ,grown men and some women wasting their time talking to anonymous strangers on a message board about football or basketball nonetheless, gross!!
I also sneak a cigarette once in awhile too

Like a 13 to 24 rated teams? No more 5-6 teams in bowls. That just irritates me.
I think the playoffs should be 16 teams.
Then maybe something like you suggested, next 16 in second tier playoff.
That for me would be exciting.
Much more so than the current format.
Would definitely end many players sitting out imo.

• Love
Reactions: F5n5 and Bishop1971
If they are 4 - 5 then maybe they shouldn’t be playing anyway

That’s funny..,I don’t necessarily agree in its life implications, but that don’t mean it ain’t funny 😳…

You’ve probably noticed me say, I generally think my spending time on here is a waste of my life, but that doesn’t keep me from screwing with people that I think are shitheads lol

I greatly enjoy humor and quick wit, kudos!

I also sneak a cigarette once in awhile too

Oh shit dude you literally made me laugh out loud in my living room, by myself. Yes, as do I, mostly I smoke cigars, for most of the last several years but I’ve had a lifelong nicotine problem!!!

I take my faith & my love of Jesus Christ seriously but it is is easy for anyone to tell I have plenty of problems!

That’s why I’m generally not terribly judgmental, or overly critical of people, except for those that are heavy handed with their own critiques. And yes, I get the irony.

I’d still rather be me than them!!

Oh shit dude you literally made me laugh out loud in my living room, by myself. Yes, as do I, mostly I smoke cigars, for most of the last several years but I’ve had a lifelong nicotine problem!!!

I take my faith & my love of Jesus Christ seriously but it is is easy for anyone to tell I have plenty of problems!

That’s why I’m generally not terribly judgmental, or overly critical of people, except for those that are heavy handed with their own critiques. And yes, I get the irony.

I’d still rather be me than them!!
A good cigararillo and a superhero movie and I'm in heaven. The old lady isn't but I've also watched glee for her sheer torture.

Reactions: cmhawks99
A good cigararillo and a superhero movie and I'm in heaven. The old lady isn't but I've also watched glee for her sheer torture.

You’re a good cat and I’m a pretty open book as far as it goes to life, I have six kids I’ve been with my wife 30 years 25 married and it’s a little rocky and rough right now.

Most of my kids are 18 to 29. I have a 10 year old left and it’s been a challenge and part of it because of our significant differences oh, and also….

I quit drinking for 17 years while we raised our kids, and although she never over drank, she never did quit, now that I’ve started again, it’s a big deal… And probably more importantly, than that she’s hazed me for my whole entire life, ( keep in mind I met this woman when I was 21 ) about smoking and now she smokes. Crazy shit dude.

Life is way stranger than fiction!

• Haha
You’re a good cat and I’m a pretty open book as far as it goes to life, I have six kids I’ve been with my wife 30 years 25 married and it’s a little rocky and rough right now.

Most of my kids are 18 to 29. I have a 10 year old left and it’s been a challenge and part of it because of our significant differences oh, and also….

I quit drinking for 17 years while we raised our kids, and although she never over drank, she never did, now that I’ve started again, it’s a big deal… And probably more importantly, than that she’s hazed me for my whole entire life, g keep in mind I met this woman when I was 21 ) about smoking and now she smokes. Crazy shit dude.

Life is way stranger than fiction!
True! My old lady is fine with whatever i do while my ex got some domestic violence charges for repeatedly beating the crap out of me and even stabbed me twice. Bipolar addict but stayed till the kids were out. 2 girls.

Reactions: cmhawks99

The moral of that last over long story is I watched black Adam last night after I drank three or four IPAs and smoked a couple cigarillos lol

• Love
True! My old lady is fine with whatever i do while my ex got some domestic violence charges for repeatedly beating the crap out of me and even stabbed me twice. Bipolar addict but stayed till the kids were out. 2 girls.

That’s tough… But it tells me a lot about you…

That’s why you take life fairly carefree and also get tired of the whiny bitchy, fat old men complaining on a message board about their ****ing football team!

As far as my wife goes, I still love the woman. She’s actually a hell of a human being. She’s just challenging as a wife. But she’s a hell of a mother, and for the most part, she’s love me… She just likes to tell me what to do!

And I’ve never been a terrific listener lol!!

• Haha
If you don’t finish in the top 12 you don’t deserve to play in the post season.
My sentiments exactly. When I was a kid, bowl games mattered. Now with the playoffs being 12, that's all you need and it gives everyone a fair shot to get in and be a dark horse. Bowl games are irrelevant otherwise. I think the last time I watched Iowa play a bowl game was in 2015 and we all know why that was.

I know, people will think it's fairweather but, as objectively as I can possibly think or say, they just don't matter much anymore.

That’s tough… But it tells me a lot about you…

That’s why you take life fairly carefree and also get tired of the whiny bitchy, fat old men complaining on a message board about their ****ing football team!

As far as my wife goes, I still love the woman. She’s actually a hell of a human being. She’s just challenging as a wife. But she’s a hell of a mother, and for the most part, she’s love me… She just likes to tell me what to do!

And I’ve never been a terrific listener lol!!
You just decribed almost all the wives one the planet CM. They ALL love telling us what to do. 😆

My sentiments exactly. When I was a kid, bowl games mattered. Now with the playoffs being 12, that's all you need and it gives everyone a fair shot to get in and be a dark horse. Bowl games are irrelevant otherwise. I think the last time I watched Iowa play a bowl game was in 2015 and we all know why that was.

I know, people will think it's fairweather but, as objectively as I can possibly think or say, they just don't matter much anymore.
They don't matter because they aren't playing for anything. Give them something to play for.
Like moving on to the next round, the basis of all sports competitions on the planet.

They don't matter because they aren't playing for anything. Give them something to play for.
Like moving on to the next round, the basis of all sports competitions on the planet.

This is a great point! In fact, now, with all these super conferences… Only play conference teams, use the playoffs to build up games!

Reactions: Sett1997
Yikes!

I learned i can get punched in the face by a woman 8 times before seeing stars, lol! When she wasn't doing the addiction and off the meds thing there were some great Times. Makes you appreciate a woman that doesn't stab you!

• Haha
Reactions: Sett1997
They will still have the games due to TV money. The games themselves will resemble more of a spring training feel with the amount of players opting out and new starters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT