ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Sandy Boyd

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
It is with great sorrow that I share the news that President Emeritus Willard “Sandy” Boyd has passed away. Our deepest sympathies go out to Susan and Sandy’s entire family, as well as all who loved and cared for him.
Sandy was beloved by the entire university community, and he will always remain one of the major figures in University of Iowa history. His impact and influence are deeply embedded in the character and excellence of this institution to this day. He represented who and what we are as an institution with integrity, grace, compassion, humor, and humanity, and he changed the university—and our society—for the better in profound and lasting ways. As president, Sandy steered the university through some of its most tumultuous and challenging times, always standing firm on the highest principles and holding the welfare of the UI’s people closest to his heart. The University of Iowa remains an institution of higher education dedicated to unparalleled excellence, the importance of all disciplines, service to the people of this state and beyond, and dignity and opportunity for all. We stand on the vision, wisdom, and leadership of Sandy Boyd in keeping those values strong and vibrant to the present day.
Long after his presidency, Sandy Boyd continued to devote so much of his life to the welfare and development of the University of Iowa, whether it was continuing to teach in the law school, founding the Larned A. Waterman Iowa Nonprofit Resource Center, serving as interim president, and so much more. He was a mentor to the UI presidents who followed him, and I consider myself so fortunate to have come to know Sandy and to benefit from his wealth of experience and his wise guidance.
Sandy will be remembered for many things, including his frequent sayings, such as his reminder of UI President Walter Jessup’s idea that education is Iowa’s never-ending frontier and his own philosophy that people, not structures, make a great university. I invite you to read Sandy’s obituary so you can also remember the many great accomplishments of his life so well-lived, both here at the university and beyond.
So many of us have Sandy Boyd stories to tell, and I know we will be sharing many of them in the days to come. In doing so, we will build stronger bonds of community, just as Sandy would have wanted. Thank you, Sandy, for all you have done for the University of Iowa. You will always be remembered with love and admiration, and we will miss you greatly.

barbara_j._wilson_primary_signature.jpg

Barbara J. Wilson
President

Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT