ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals looks at combined success in FB & MBB

Big differences between football and basketball for teams like Kansas. Our instate friends to the west faired in the mid 40s.

It would be nice to catch up to Wisconsin. They're kind of running away with the West right now.

Absolutely embarrassing for ISU, Texas and Nebbie. That is a recruiting cycle basically. Wow. Difference is Herman, Shaka, Frost and Fred have produced before. On that note, I don’t like Fleck but he is crushing Frost and Campbell. He has been at Minny 1 year less than Matty at ISU and not only has a top 10 finish (ISU’s highest ranking ever in 100 years is 19 and Matty never had an ISU team ranked in 4 years) but players drafted (ISU zero) and holding his own with Frost recruiting and absolutely abusing Matty in recruiting. Don’t like Fleck but anyone who even puts Campbell in the same sentence with Fleck is a moron. Fleck factually crushes him on all objective coaching levels and the gap is getting bigger with the recruiting disparity which is enormous.

Absolutely embarrassing for ISU, Texas and Nebbie. That is a recruiting cycle basically. Wow. Difference is Herman, Shaka, Frost and Fred have produced before. On that note, I don’t like Fleck but he is crushing Frost and Campbell. He has been at Minny 1 year less than Matty at ISU and not only has a top 10 finish (ISU’s highest ranking ever in 100 years is 19 and Matty never had an ISU team ranked in 4 years) but players drafted (ISU zero) and holding his own with Frost recruiting and absolutely abusing Matty in recruiting. Don’t like Fleck but anyone who even puts Campbell in the same sentence with Fleck is a moron. Fleck factually crushes him on all objective coaching levels and the gap is getting bigger with the recruiting disparity which is enormous.

Big difference, Fleck works in a state of over 5 million people with no other Div 1 school. Campbell works in a state of 3 million people with a better Div 1 school that pulls the best in-state recruits regularly. I'm not trying to defend him, but he has a monstrous hill to climb compared to what Fleck has to do. Plus Minny has access to Big Ten Network money that ISU doesn't have.

Matt is overrated by many, but seems to be an ok coach. Fleck is also likely overrated right now based upon two good years at different schools. If they both get their feet under themselves and get their schools as regular bowl participants or better, we may be in trouble if our next hire isn't a home run considering Wisconsin is showing no signs of slowing, Fitz will get Northwestern back on track, and there is a chance that Frost actually gets Nebby moving in the right direction.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Big difference, Fleck works in a state of over 5 million people with no other Div 1 school. Campbell works in a state of 3 million people with a better Div 1 school that pulls the best in-state recruits regularly. I'm not trying to defend him, but he has a monstrous hill to climb compared to what Fleck has to do. Plus Minny has access to Big Ten Network money that ISU doesn't have.

Matt is overrated by many, but seems to be an ok coach. Fleck is also likely overrated right now based upon two good years at different schools. If they both get their feet under themselves and get their schools as regular bowl participants or better, we may be in trouble if our next hire isn't a home run considering Wisconsin is showing no signs of slowing, Fitz will get Northwestern back on track, and there is a chance that Frost actually gets Nebby moving in the right direction.
Agreed, Campbell has to deal with being the little brother in a small state with limited numbers of D1 recruits. It also doesn't help that big brother is cleaning house in the state when it comes to recruiting. I think were also seeing that the Frost and Campbell approach of recruiting in offering every kid in the country 3* and above a scholly isn't working. FWIW, I hate Fleck and his walking cliche mouth, it drives me nuts.....:eek:

Big differences between football and basketball for teams like Kansas. Our instate friends to the west faired in the mid 40s.

And yet Iowa State fans will still troll this board and swear up and down their football program is as good as Iowa's. They already think Iowa State is a blue blood in basketball with the occasional crappy season.

Herky - I don’t disagree. But every single Clone fan says Fleck sucks and ISU is better than Minny. Both are factually inaccurate. And I compared them because Fleck, Frost and Matty are compared often as young coaches at P5 schools. Fact is Matty is getting curb stomped on the recruiting trail and Fleck has done a ton more on the field than Matty. I don’t care about obstacles. ISU fans claim Matty is the much superior coach to Fleck and would never admit it’s a Hawkeye State so fact is Matty is Fleck’s bitch. And I don’t like Fleck. But facts are facts. Top 10 rating and doing well recruiting. Matty in a weaker conference, plus 1 extra year, never rated and may start combing junior highs for recruits.

Campbell has to deal with being the little brother in a small state with limited numbers of D1 recruits.

I don't care about either coach, but just for the sake of fairness, Minnesota was a national power for most of college football history until one thing changed it all. The NFL expanded and put a team called the Vikings in Minneapolis. That was the end of Minnesota as a college football power.

So sure, ISU has to battle Iowa in a small state, but Minnesota has to deal with the Vikings. No recruiting battles between those two, but the support for Gopher football has never been anywhere near the same as it was before the NFL showed up. And the results on the field have reflected that . . . at least until Fleck showed up, oars and all.

https://huskers.com/news/2019/9/27/huskers-announce-new-facility.aspx

$155 Million in a new facility will help UNL along. They already had really nice facilities. Iowa's facilities while nice are quickly becoming only eh in the war of facilities.

I wonder where Iowa would rank had they used the last 5 years instead of the last 4. 2015 football had 12 wins and basketball 22 wins. Would think that would have moved them up at least a few spots.......edit, if my calculations are correct would put the Hawks at 65% and in the top 15.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT