ADVERTISEMENT

River life, Lake Life, or Beach life?

Building sand castles to watch the tide destroy them with the kids is my favorite.
Where we typically go to the beach there’s never any real wave action, and the tidal flats can be knee deep over 100 yards from shore.

What is your favorite body of water living?

I personally love Lake life the most due to usually cleaner water, not as fierce, and big fan of the fish in lakes. Also I think a good lake town is tough to beat

River is tops for me with ocean second and lake a distant third. I live in Oregon so I'm talking about the crystal clear waters of the Rogue River, and certainly not the rivers in the midwest. What I fly fish for is the main reason for my order. I love fly fishing in the ocean and the trips to the places I goto are wonderful, but I don't get to Mexico, Belize, Cuba, Bahamas, FL Keys near as often as I get to the Rogue (15 minutes) so the river and it's steelhead get top billing in my world.

River is tops for me with ocean second and lake a distant third. I live in Oregon so I'm talking about the crystal clear waters of the Rogue River, and certainly not the rivers in the midwest. What I fly fish for is the main reason for my order. I love fly fishing in the ocean and the trips to the places I goto are wonderful, but I don't get to Mexico, Belize, Cuba, Bahamas, FL Keys near as often as I get to the Rogue (15 minutes) so the river and it's steelhead get top billing in my world.
Yah the rivers around Iowa are disgusting which is why I’m not a fan. Also a little more dangerous with currents compared to lakes.

I personally love Lake life the most due to usually cleaner water, not as fierce, and big fan of the fish in lakes. Also I think a good lake town is tough to beat

I like a saltwater/brackish marsh with a deep water tidal creek/river. Plenty of redfish, trout, flounder, sheepshead, blue crab and shrimp (nearby).

I guess I prefer river life with a little extra salinity.

Reactions: Mike Zierath

I think the ocean/beach life is by far the best. Unfortunately, we live in Iowa. Clean lakes are good too, but alas, there are almost none in Iowa. Rivers abound in Iowa, but they are dirty and dangerous. If I walked in Daryl's shoes in Oregon, I might change my tune, but I don't.

Depends where you’re at and how clean the rivers, lakes and beaches are. For our family, living in Iowa, it’s beach life particularly the Caribbean.

If I had to choose, a nice beach would be tops.

The Great Lakes and mountain lakes/streams are nice, but most freshwater east of the Rockies seems pretty nasty.

I prefer the ocean, something to just marvel at IMO.

a clean lake would be nice also. In Iowa the few big clean lakes are so packed with humanity I think it takes away from the appeal. Now if I could have a nice home over looking Lake Superior around Duluth that might be my favorite.

all I know is gross muddy Iowa rivers so that isn’t even a conversation with me. I would pay no more for a river house than I would for a house in the middle of corn fields. Rivers are dangerous so if I had small kids I would be too terrified to enjoy it.

lol, when people are like "NO, the Willamette is GROSS" and im like You should see the ones in Iowa.

Reactions: darylhawk
I love the ocean, plus there are no goddam mosquitoes. For rivers, my grandpa always used to take us on a canoe float in spring fed rivers in Missouri. The water was ice cold from the springs, but it was crystal clear before any humans could pollute it.

We are going to give coastal a try. There isn’t a beach (you have to go 30 miles to South Padre) but the intercostal and then Gulf is right outside the door. It may change as retirement comes closer.

If you like lakes, then Minnesota is the place to live.
There are plenty of clean, clear lakes for swimming,
boating, and fishing. Our family lived there for 5 years.

I am Team Lake as well, but have come to appreciate the power and nuance of rivers. Harder to fish and not as aesthetically pleasing in most cases, however.

One thing I like about being on the Mississippi, though, is in a weird way you feel more connected to the rest of the world, knowing you are on a body of water that is navigable and connects to the ocean.

barge-Mississippi-River-Louisiana.jpg

5b2037d5191e9.image.jpg

Entering-Pepin.jpg

Beach 🏖
I'm one of those rare folks that detest the beach.

I hate sand.
I hate heat.
Sharks and all the other weird creatures in the ocean freak me out.

Now, I LOVE sitting in a nice tropical area NEAR a beach with a delicious drink in hand. But I have absolutely zero desire to be ON a beach, ever. But I'll go out on a lake or river for hours.

I'm one of those rare folks that detest the beach.

I hate sand.
I hate heat.
Sharks and all the other weird creatures in the ocean freak me out.

Now, I LOVE sitting in a nice tropical area NEAR a beach with a delicious drink in hand. But I have absolutely zero desire to be ON a beach, ever. But I'll go out on a lake or river for hours.
I’m the opposite. Love the heat and warm ocean water. Love my feet in the sand and the sound of the waves. It’s awesome to put on goggles and see cool fish swimming around.

Lakes are too stagnant for me and most (at least near me) are dirty and gross. Only thing I like is fishing and boating them.

Rivers are my favorite for paddle sports but outside of that I don’t see the appeal.

Why not both lake and beach?

Oh, sorry, this one is more appropriate for HROT:

If the question is do I want a house anywhere on the water, then my answer is no. Because of the inability to get insurance on most houses on the water combined with beach erosion, lakes drying up, flooding in rivers etc… I don’t want to pay the extra cost. I’m perfectly happy living in Tally being a five min walk to a number of lakes and ponds, twenty minutes to a large river that traces its way to the ocean in a twenty minute boat ride from the closest dock to my house, thirty Mins from saltwater mangrove swamps to fish in, forty five mins from A beach and an hour and a half to some of the best beaches in the world. So I’m perfectly fine renting a beach, lake or river house whenever we want it.

There’s only two types of water front houses I could ever see myself buying. 1) Is a trout creek facing mountain cabin. Usually you don’t have flooding that high up and for the most part the bigger trout creeks aren’t in danger of drying up. Plus there’s usually large alpine lakes nearby to fish as well. 2) Any river house thats actually at least 30-40 ft above normal water level along a cliff. The only place like that in FL that I’m aware of is alongside the Suwannee but there may be others. There’s plenty in Virginia like that.

Reactions: goldmom
If the question is do I want a house anywhere on the water, then my answer is no. Because of the inability to get insurance on most houses on the water combined with beach erosion, lakes drying up, flooding in rivers etc… I don’t want to pay the extra cost. I’m perfectly happy living in Tally being a five min walk to a number of lakes and ponds, twenty minutes to a large river that traces its way to the ocean in a twenty minute boat ride from the closest dock to my house, thirty Mins from saltwater mangrove swamps to fish in, forty five mins from A beach and an hour and a half to some of the best beaches in the world. So I’m perfectly fine renting a beach, lake or river house whenever we want it.

There’s only two types of water front houses I could ever see myself buying. 1) Is a trout creek facing mountain cabin. Usually you don’t have flooding that high up and for the most part the bigger trout creeks aren’t in danger of drying up. Plus there’s usually large alpine lakes nearby to fish as well. 2) Any river house thats actually at least 30-40 ft above normal water level along a cliff. The only place like that in FL that I’m aware of is alongside the Suwannee but there may be others. There’s plenty in Virginia like that.
Ya...but you have to live in Tallahassee.....

One thing I like about being on the Mississippi, though, is in a weird way you feel more connected to the rest of the world, knowing you are on a body of water that is navigable and connects to the ocean
I have always felt the same way living on the Missouri River. That if I wanted to I could boat all the way to Mexico. As it is, we used to take boat trips to towns on the river from Yankton all the way to Omaha. Theoretically, I could boat to KC, STL, or all the way to New Orleans if I desired.

Reactions: goldmom
Ya...but you have to live in Tallahassee.....
How long has it been since you’ve been in Tally? It’s very different than it was years ago.

If money were no object (🙄) I would be interested in an estate on one of the high bluffs of the St. John’s River right here in Jax. Beautiful vistas.
I might also have a place on Holiday Isle in Destin but on a canal not gulf front. Insurance is a killer.

Would have to win a lottery, but think I would enjoy house on hill by ocean where could watch shipping come and go.
(I like to watch...)

ADVERTISEMENT