ADVERTISEMENT

"Road House" is NYPD training video...

22*43*51

HR Legend
Nov 23, 2008
The NYPD has been having some PR problems lately, what with all the killing and protesting during fellow officers' funerals. Well, that's all about to change now that they're being forced to watch the clip from "Road House" in which Patrick Swayze tells them all to be nice.

The clip is being used in a mandatory retraining course for the department, which cost the city roughly $35 million. No word on how much of that went towards securing the rights to the 1989 hunky classic.

In theory, we should probably be thankful that cops are being told not to start wailing on people who call them cocksuckers, but maybe James Dalton isn't the best role model. He is, after all, a fictional character whose sole job is to beat the hell out of unruly bar patrons. Although, if this leads to a policy change that makes Sam Elliott a consultant for all future NYPD behavior then I am all for it.

But hey, if the NYPD really felt that they absolutely had to use a scene from 'Road House' as part of their training, I'm just glad it wasn't the one where Swayze rips a dudes throat out with his bare hands.

Link

I have no issue with entities paying big dollar for training and education, and having a reference to pop culture in it. The only issue I see in this one is that there was little, if no racial tension in Road House.

For your example, people in NY are likely not just calling each other ****suckers, but they are probably doing it across ethnicities.

Originally posted by linkshero:

The only issue I see in this one is that there was little, if no racial tension in Road House.
I believe "Red" was an Irish-American business man.

...does that count?

tumblr_nd5qf9hOEj1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

The NYPD has been having some PR problems lately, what with all the killing and protesting during fellow officers' funerals. Well, that's all about to change now that they're being forced to watch the clip from "Road House" in which Patrick Swayze tells them all to be nice.

The clip is being used in a mandatory retraining course for the department, which cost the city roughly $35 million. No word on how much of that went towards securing the rights to the 1989 hunky classic.

In theory, we should probably be thankful that cops are being told not to start wailing on people who call them cocksuckers, but maybe James Dalton isn't the best role model. He is, after all, a fictional character whose sole job is to beat the hell out of unruly bar patrons. Although, if this leads to a policy change that makes Sam Elliott a consultant for all future NYPD behavior then I am all for it.

But hey, if the NYPD really felt that they absolutely had to use a scene from 'Road House' as part of their training, I'm just glad it wasn't the one where Swayze rips a dudes throat out with his bare hands.

Link

Prediction: Death by hand pulled throat extraction up 8000% over the next 2 years.

Reactions: gusto79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT