ADVERTISEMENT

Road to Indianapolis in Big Ten

cidsports

HB King

It's been complicated for the Hawkeyes, since the Purdue and Wisconsin games went south for the Hawkeyes, who are all in a four-way tie at 4-2 with Minnesota heading into Week 11.

Ohio State remains the only undefeated team in Big Ten play heading into Week 11. Thankfully, the Buckeyes are in the East.

The Buckeyes host Purdue on Saturday. A win by the Buckeyes combined with a home win for the Hawkeyes over Minnesota can help make it a two team race heading into the final stretch.

Well one team, since Iowa and Purdue clearly need help by someone to take care of the Wisconsin Badgers, who host Northwestern and Nebraska, before heading Minneapolis for their final game.

The last time the Buckeyes have lost in the Big Ten was 2018. Urban Meyer's final season. It was against Purdue. The Buckeyes kept it a one possession game in Lincoln, before getting that late field goal on Saturday.

Will QB Alex Padilla make his first start on Saturday, as Minnesota heads to Kinnick for the final two games at home. The Hawkeyes get Illinois for Senior Day, after Iowa ruined Northwestern's final game in Evanston for the season 17-12 on Saturday night.

As Scott Dochterman shared.

Padilla, who replaced an injured Spencer Petras on the Hawkeyes’ fourth offensive series, completed 18 of 28 passes for 172 yards in Iowa’s 17-12 win against Northwestern. It was Padilla’s first extended playing time of his career, and the Hawkeyes ran their offense in similar fashion to a Petras-led game.

The No. 22 Hawkeyes (7-2 overall, 4-2 Big Ten) continued to work from five primary personnel groupings, and Padilla threw from all five formations. Of his 28 passes, 17 took place in shotgun. About one-third of Padilla’s attempts were off play-action, and only four were considered bad throws.

“We really didn’t change the game plan an awful lot once Alex went in the game,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “In fact, I really can’t think of much that we eliminated. He’s done a really good job in practice, not only this past week, but just overall in general. He’s pretty comfortable with everything we’re doing. The play-action part, just in part to get the run game going a little bit more and see if we couldn’t help out there. We’ll just see where each week takes us.”

Iowa has plenty to work on heading into Minnesota game. As we witnessed in past season during Kirk Ferentz era. Clock management at end of halves aren't always spotless. Of course, how often do you see a disruption of play?

“You got to prepare every week like you’re the starter,” Padilla said. “I’ve been doing that over the course of the season. You just have to be ready for your opportunity and don’t waste that opportunity when it comes around. I have a great group of guys around me that made my job easy tonight, so credit to them.”

One game at a time for everyone. Three games remain for all four teams.

Against Northwestern, Iowa's defense had three interceptions, lead by Dane Belton's two picks. Dochterman shared:

Belton, a junior, switches between strong safety and the cash position depending on whether Iowa plays a 4-2-5 or 4-3 defense. He is tied for third nationally with four interceptions alongside cornerback Riley Moss, who has missed the last three games. Moss is likely to return this week to face Minnesota after spraining his knee while making an interception against Penn State.

Heading back to Kinnick at end of the week. On Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News