ADVERTISEMENT

Roasting your own coffee beans at home. Is this a thing now?

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
I went back to my 40th high school reunion this last weekend and spent a lot of time with my best friend, who lives in Chicago. He brought some of his own coffee that he roasted. He has a coffee roaster at home. He told me that he goes to this site called Sweet Maria's to purchase the beans. He reads about the farmers and the techniques they use. He brought some with him and I must say, it was really good. I had no idea people do this. Makes sense though. People make wine and brew beer at home. I made Kombucha at home for awhile. Anybody else do this? I am thinking about starting up. Seems like it might be fun and I drink a good bit of coffee. Would appreciate any advice.

If you want to look like this, go for it.

1.jpg

I went back to my 40th high school reunion this last weekend and spent a lot of time with my best friend, who lives in Chicago. He brought some of his own coffee that he roasted. He has a coffee roaster at home. He told me that he goes to this site called Sweet Maria's to purchase the beans. He reads about the farmers and the techniques they use. He brought some with him and I must say, it was really good. I had no idea people do this. Makes sense though. People make wine and brew beer at home. I made Kombucha at home for awhile. Anybody else do this? I am thinking about starting up. Seems like it might be fun and I drink a good bit of coffee. Would appreciate any advice.
its a thing. Sweet marias is likely the best source of unroased beans. And if you remember those old air poppers for popcorn back in the day....that is what folks are using to roast their own.

I don’t mess with it but my BiL exclusively buys green coffee beans and roasts them himself. Oddly enough the best way according to him is to use a popcorn machine as it very evenly roasts them and it’s easy to use.

I can imagine it being amongst the best home coffees, especially if you’re getting fresh green beans flown in from Ethiopia or Honduras.

My brother used to. Small batches he used an old popcorn popper (they got hotter then the newer ones) and for bigger batches he had a rotisserie basket for the grill.

Reactions: Moral
Why do that when you can learn how to make thc honey, and when you get bored with that learn how to make mead with thc honey. People nowadays, I swear.

Reactions: GOHOX69
He brought some with him and I must say, it was really good.
Sounds interesting. What did you notice that was distinct from or better than packaged coffee? I get roasted beans from a local co-op as fresh as the day they get them and then grind them at home. What would roasting raw beans at home add ....more flavor? a bigger kick?

Sounds interesting. What did you notice that was distinct from or better than packaged coffee? I get roasted beans from a local co-op as fresh as the day they get them and then grind them at home. What would roasting raw beans at home add ....more flavor? a bigger kick?
It really just had an incredibly fresh taste. I cannot sit here and tell you that I tasted all the various notes that he wrote on the bag. But I do know that it was good. He talked a little bit about how you really shouldn’t drink a dark roast. That it removes the nuance from it. He said that the coffee companies make a ton of money off dark roast because they can use a cheaper bean because when you roast it that dark, it takes most of the flavor out anyway and all your taste is the roast. He does his medium.

Reactions: nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT