ADVERTISEMENT

Robbed of Championships ? - ESPN Article on Iowa Wrestling this season

24 so far

HR Heisman
Mar 24, 2016
Apologies in advance as I don't know how to provide a link from my phone just yet, but there is a new article as of today under the heading of:

NCAA - Robbed of Championships?

There are 2 articles under that heading, one for Iowa Wrestling (the other for Cornell Hockey).

Then has subtitle of Iowa Wrestling - No NCCA Title? No problem. Why Iowa Wrestling still feels historic.

Author is Ryan Hockensmith, never heard of him. Anyway, check it out Hawkeye Wrestling Fans.

Last edited:
"We're not gonna get to hang another banner," he said out loud. Nobody else was around because campus had been shut down. But then he grabbed ahold of himself.

"It's way bigger than wrestling, Brands," Brands said back to Brands. "Get your thumb out of your mouth."

Tom Brands, FTW

Coach Tom Brands read the note to the team and gave everybody the option of finishing practice or leaving. He encouraged everybody to take some time to mourn the loss, but also emphasized that once the wrestlers got their heads around the decision, it was time to move on. "Don't give self-pity any credibility," he said. "This is the right thing for society -- it's bigger than sporting events. You were robbed of history, but let's be forward-looking and stay in the here and now."

"We're not gonna get to hang another banner," he said out loud. Nobody else was around because campus had been shut down. But then he grabbed ahold of himself.

"It's way bigger than wrestling, Brands," Brands said back to Brands. "Get your thumb out of your mouth."

Tom Brands, FTW

I said it before and I’ll say it again, Iowa should fire tom brands. Not because it’s good for iowa, but because who he is and what he stands for needs to be shared with more than one locker room.

Hopefully the cloud is gone soon and we can get back to business! When that day comes hopefully sooner than later, we HAWK nation should have a appreciation gathering/meet and greet. I would gladly fly into IOWA for an event like this.
I know it’s a bit early for this type of thinking, but I will Not just forget this season and the work our guys put in!

Damn good stuff there. Way more to be proud of about this team than a championship they didn't get a chance to win.

Wow, that was a great article. I have tears in my eyes for these guys. I feel so awful for the team and all of the collegiate athletes out there who had their season cut short; especially guys like Lugo, Cenzo, Gross, just to name a few, whom may never have another shot.

This team was ready to stand on top of the podium again and bring the title back to IC. As much as it sucks for us fans whom have followed every single dual and tourney for decades, my heart just breaks for this team. I’ve never wrestled and I won’t pretend to have sources or personal connections within this program, but it seems like this team was incredibly close...special...and destined to become champs.

No matter what happens, we’ll all rally together and help these guys bring home the title in 2021. Families stick together through thick and thin and that’s what this Hawkeye family will do.

I will admit imagining that moment with the team brought a tear to my eye as well.... Spencer dropping to his butt, Lugo trying to continue but not being able to--I can't imagine being in that room at that moment.... This is a special team and I hope that something can be done, so history doesn't forget....

Excellent article, although saying Spencer is have a Joe Burrow type season might be giving Joe a little too much credit. Spencer Lee had a Spencer Lee type season.

Actually, it was a GREAT way to get those reading the article, that aren't educated wrestling fans, to realize how good Lee has been.

Also, I am not sure you realize just how amazing Burrows season was:

1. Passing Touchdowns-60 NCAA Record
2. Total Touchdowns Responsible for-65 NCAA Record
3. Season Completion percentage-76.2% second all time to Colt McCoy 2008-76.6%
4. Passing Yards- 5,671 3rd all-time behind Graham Harrell 5705 and BJ Symons 5833 both from Texas Tech.
5. Completions-402 LSU record
6. Completions in a row-17 LSU record
7. 300+ passing yards-13 games
8. Ints-6 That is a 10-1 td to int ratio and 1 per 88 passes.

Burrow was essentially the equivalent of winning every match by bonus, with only 2 of them being MD's and the rest being TF's or Falls. Lee being compared to Burrow was VERY HIGH praise!

Actually, it was a GREAT way to get those reading the article, that aren't educated wrestling fans, to realize how good Lee has been.

Also, I am not sure you realize just how amazing Burrows season was:

1. Passing Touchdowns-60 NCAA Record
2. Total Touchdowns Responsible for-65 NCAA Record
3. Season Completion percentage-76.2% second all time to Colt McCoy 2008-76.6%
4. Passing Yards- 5,671 3rd all-time behind Graham Harrell 5705 and BJ Symons 5833 both from Texas Tech.
5. Completions-402 LSU record
6. Completions in a row-17 LSU record
7. 300+ passing yards-13 games
8. Ints-6 That is a 10-1 td to int ratio and 1 per 88 passes.

Burrow was essentially the equivalent of winning every match by bonus, with only 2 of them being MD's and the rest being TF's or Falls. Lee being compared to Burrow was VERY HIGH praise!
Wow man, normally I am on board for your "trying to find an argument for everything" attitude, but... you know...covid, so not so much in to it today. For what it's worth, it's called "hyperbole" on an Iowa fan site for Iowa fans by an Iowa fan, not an LSU College fact book quiz.

So if you really want to go there, and I'm not digging too deep on this one because...covid, but let me point out that Joe was passing behind the best offensive line in the country who won the Joe Moore award and the best receiving corp lead by the best receiver who was the Biletnikoff Award winner.

Spencer Lee walked out on to the mat alone and physically pounded other D1 athletes in to the ground bonusing every wrestler he faced (yes he missed on Michigan the first time, but teched him the second which makes my statement true.) He finished the season with the highest Tech % I have ever seen (too lazy to look this up so not claiming its the highest ever but it might be) which as opposed to a pin, might be less points but shows more domination imo. So hyperbole or not, Joe is a great quarterback who peaked at the right time whereas SL is a 2 time National Champ who gets better every time I see him.

Wow man, normally I am on board for your "trying to find an argument for everything" attitude, but... you know...covid, so not so much in to it today. For what it's worth, it's called "hyperbole" on an Iowa fan site for Iowa fans by an Iowa fan, not an LSU College fact book quiz.

So if you really want to go there, and I'm not digging too deep on this one because...covid, but let me point out that Joe was passing behind the best offensive line in the country who won the Joe Moore award and the best receiving corp lead by the best receiver who was the Biletnikoff Award winner.

Spencer Lee walked out on to the mat alone and physically pounded other D1 athletes in to the ground bonusing every wrestler he faced (yes he missed on Michigan the first time, but teched him the second which makes my statement true.) He finished the season with the highest Tech % I have ever seen (too lazy to look this up so not claiming its the highest ever but it might be) which as opposed to a pin, might be less points but shows more domination imo. So hyperbole or not, Joe is a great quarterback who peaked at the right time whereas SL is a 2 time National Champ who gets better every time I see him.

Wasn’t meant to start an argument. I was simply saying Burrow had arguably the best season as a DI QB in the history of college football. He also did it in the toughest conference in the country and their strength of schedule also ranked as one of the most difficult in history.

To me, Lee being compared to that was about the best compliment to his talent that an ESPN writer could make.

For sure, great but man that article was a series of gut punches.

agree
I think of how many guys are facing a course correction at 20 to 24 years old. In my mind, worse than the 80 boycott. Brands, while saying the right things, has to be hurting as he does the right things to lead.

let’s pretend the NCAA does grant a section of the 330 an extra year. Some guys have been living this life for 15/18 years. 4 years of D1 wrestling his hard on every part of you. Let alone 5. Now this and they have to make the call to push to 6? (I have heard some stats on the success of 6th year guys. Not high).

Sometimes the right thing hurts but brands is right. This is bigger than wrestling. Which sucks. What I loved about the article is the honesty of the emotions and reactions. The team trying to come together, as many of us are in our own way.

Next match. Whenever that is. great statement.

Reactions: meatloaf55
Back in the 40's thru 90's didn't they vote on and award the National Collegiate title by vote? So in this year why couldn't this be done again in all winter sports? I think 100's of trophy's are sitting in trophy cases that was awarded to schools that never played another team for the Championships.
Also, is anyone wrestling at the HWC or NLWC during this shut down?

Also robbed of Billy Baldwin commentary

e152b60b5b39f95dbb220665a238c49f.jpg

Reactions: tiltman
Wasn’t meant to start an argument. I was simply saying Burrow had arguably the best season as a DI QB in the history of college football. He also did it in the toughest conference in the country and their strength of schedule also ranked as one of the most difficult in history.

To me, Lee being compared to that was about the best compliment to his talent that an ESPN writer could make.
JUST STOP!!!!!! Normally I am all for your counter arguments JUST NOT TODAY!!! I apologize, but man am I getting depressed over this whole situation.

JUST STOP!!!!!! Normally I am all for your counter arguments JUST NOT TODAY!!! I apologize, but man am I getting depressed over this whole situation.

I apologize. I get that tensions are high. But, I truly wasn't looking for any form of an argument here. I just saw the post I responded to as a slight to probably the best single season performance by a QB in the history of DI Football. What Burrow's did was damn near like the year Gable had as a senior if he would have pinned Owings in the Final.

For the record, I love Spencer Lee. The guy is an animal and is a huge part of Iowa getting back on top. He is on pace to cement himself as a top 5 guy of all time. Other than maybe Valencia(before drugs) he was the clear best in DI this year.

I just wanted to give credit where it is due. Being compared to the best QB and soon to be #1 draft pick in the BY FAR most popular sport in the country is about the best possible compliment Lee could receive from an ESPN writer.

Finally, I can promise you this situation sucks for me as much as or even more than most of you. I have an entire system in place to be able to watch EVERY SINGLE match during the next 3 days, with family and friends mixed in throughout. I am BEYOND DEVISTATED by this......................

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
I apologize. I get that tensions are high. But, I truly wasn't looking for any form of an argument here. I just saw the post I responded to as a slight to probably the best single season performance by a QB in the history of DI Football. What Burrow's did was damn near like the year Gable had as a senior if he would have pinned Owings in the Final.

For the record, I love Spencer Lee. The guy is an animal and is a huge part of Iowa getting back on top. He is on pace to cement himself as a top 5 guy of all time. Other than maybe Valencia(before drugs) he was the clear best in DI this year.

I just wanted to give credit where it is due. Being compared to the best QB and soon to be #1 draft pick in the BY FAR most popular sport in the country is about the best possible compliment Lee could receive from an ESPN writer.

Finally, I can promise you this situation sucks for me as much as or even more than most of you. I have an entire system in place to be able to watch EVERY SINGLE match during the next 3 days, with family and friends mixed in throughout. I am BEYOND DEVISTATED by this......................
Okay, maybe I cracked a little yesterday, sorry for that. This whole self quarantine and social distance thing must be messing with my psyche. Always thought I was the kind of guy that couldn't be affected by stuff like this, like I always thought I could pass a lie detector while lying. Guess I am just an average joe after all. I really hope I don't get a letter from Nigerian Prince wanting me to cash a check, or even worse, I hope I don't run across quicksand. If I can't beat the lie detector I am certainly not getting out of quicksand. Time to rethink some stuff.

Reactions: MSU158
Okay, maybe I cracked a little yesterday, sorry for that. This whole self quarantine and social distance thing must be messing with my psyche. Always thought I was the kind of guy that couldn't be affected by stuff like this, like I always thought I could pass a lie detector while lying. Guess I am just an average joe after all. I really hope I don't get a letter from Nigerian Prince wanting me to cash a check, or even worse, I hope I don't run across quicksand. If I can't beat the lie detector I am certainly not getting out of quicksand. Time to rethink some stuff.

All good, my man! I get it. This sucks in a multitude of ways. Just imagine how bad it would be if you didn't have Netflix, Hulu, etc. I don't care how much you love your family and they love you. If you are stuck at home together all day long for weeks..................:eek:

All good, my man! I get it. This sucks in a multitude of ways. Just imagine how bad it would be if you didn't have Netflix, Hulu, etc. I don't care how much you love your family and they love you. If you are stuck at home together all day long for weeks..................:eek:
That's why all my employees are working from home but I still come in to the empty office. ;)

Reactions: 24 so far
That's why all my employees are working from home but I still come in to the empty office. ;)

In my office as we type. However, next week, maybe not. Michigan National Guard is mobilized and methinks they are going to crack down even harder on the restriction very soon!

In my office as we type. However, next week, maybe not. Michigan National Guard is mobilized and methinks they are going to crack down even harder on the restriction very soon!
If I have to work from home with a wife and three kids home from college, I might lose my mind before the virus has a chance to get me. 6 months ago I was telling my wife that we need to move because our house was too big and empty, now the only time I'm alone is when I'm on toilet or get to work. please please please please don't take that away from me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT