ADVERTISEMENT

Robbins to Vandy and no momentum from regular season

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
Oddly silent from all those posters who said I was a $#&@!* for saying Robbins would not come to Iowa and said I was full of ^%$! for quoting 247 Sports who had him as Vandy 100% 2-weeks ago. That was just a Vandy reporter I was told. Unfortunately Jennifer Aniston was not to be found at the Chrome Horse in CR Saturday night, so Fran and I both struck out.

So on to the next order of business. How has Fran managed to parlay the team being in the top 10 for (I think) all of the season into ZERO interest in coming to Iowa? How can his 'plan' and I use that term loosely be Robbins, Rebraca or nobody? I don't know that to be the case, but it certainly seems that way. My other posts, which elicited some saucy responses from the Fran apologists, were essentially that if Fran got anybody, it would be someone from an obscure mid-major because Fran apparently can't compete for P5 transfers.

So to steer this down a constructive path, will you be disappointed if Fran whiffs in the portal? Curious as to your POV on how Iowa can be on the national stage essentially all season and that creates no recruiting momentum. If you are going to call me names, please check your past responses and come up with something original at least. Thank you.

Oddly silent from all those posters who said I was a $#&@!* for saying Robbins would not come to Iowa and said I was full of ^%$! for quoting 247 Sports who had him as Vandy 100% 2-weeks ago. That was just a Vandy reporter I was told. Unfortunately Jennifer Aniston was not to be found at the Chrome Horse in CR Saturday night, so Fran and I both struck out.

So on to the next order of business. How has Fran managed to parlay the team being in the top 10 for (I think) all of the season into ZERO interest in coming to Iowa? How can his 'plan' and I use that term loosely be Robbins, Rebraca or nobody? I don't know that to be the case, but it certainly seems that way. My other posts, which elicited some saucy responses from the Fran apologists, were essentially that if Fran got anybody, it would be someone from an obscure mid-major because Fran apparently can't compete for P5 transfers.

So to steer this down a constructive path, will you be disappointed if Fran whiffs in the portal? Curious as to your POV on how Iowa can be on the national stage essentially all season and that creates no recruiting momentum. If you are going to call me names, please check your past responses and come up with something original at least. Thank you.
So, let's not move the goal posts on what you said and how I personally responded. Your contention was that we had zero chance, which was clearly untrue and just sour grapes from you.

Rumor is Rebraca is an Iowa lean right now. Fits Iowa's style. If Fran ends up getting beat for Rebraca then Fran deserves some criticism. Robbins was always tied to his uncle.

I also think Fran needs to be targeting an experienced guard/wing type player that can shoot. This year unlike any other is an opportunity to rebuild your team into a conference contender or national contender with the transfer market being so open. Transfer market is loaded right now with all the right pieces for just about any team in the country. Transfer market will have a bigger impact this year than incoming freshmen.

Still too many what if’s that we will never know about. But let’s play
What if Liam’s uncle’s job was contingent on him going to Vandy. Your uncle asks you privately to help him out . Do you say sorry uncle Ed . Good luck finding a job.
What if Liam was not promised a starting job and all of a sudden you’re now competing with an Iowa recruit who wasn’t going to be there until a few days ago after talking to Fran..
What if just decided that going from Minnesota to a B1G rival would lead to frequent abuse by a fan base by one or both teams if he does produce or doesn’t produce.
The path of least resistance is often the one most taken. If Fran didn’t feel a strong commitment from Liam do you push him harder , for someone who has only half hearted interest . I said earlier he would fit great if and only the if it felt right to both Fran and to Liam. Apparently one or both decided it wasn’t.

I don’t like the portal. NCAA needs to get a hold of this chaos

In the meantime ... it’s like two recruiting populations... do you go for the high school kid (who now may only stay a year or two)... or do you go the portal route and play mix and match every year (which may be the case any way).

At least with the portal you can see what the kid has done thus far in college against college competition.

I am surprised some schools are landing some portal guys as fast as they are...

Fran has to land two portal guys.. a big and a shooting guard who can create and play D.

One would “think” this season (with POY in Garza) and high poll ratings would have led to some inroads with guys in portal. If Fran strikes out that’s a major whiff by him and staff...

Last edited:
Rumor is Rebraca is an Iowa lean right now. Fits Iowa's style. If Fran ends up getting beat for Rebraca then Fran deserves some criticism. Robbins was always tied to his uncle.

I also think Fran needs to be targeting an experienced guard/wing type player that can shoot. This year unlike any other is an opportunity to rebuild your team into a conference contender or national contender with the transfer market being so open. Transfer market is loaded right now with all the right pieces for just about any team in the country. Transfer market will have a bigger impact this year than incoming freshmen.
Landing Rebraca would be outstanding

Rebraca + Mulvey is more than enough. I have my doubts about Rebraca though. Robbins must really love his uncle or he's getting part of his Uncle's pay.

.Rebraca + Mulvey is more than enough. I have my doubts about Rebraca though. Robbins must really love his uncle or he's getting part of his Uncle's pay.
Rebraca scored 24 against Robbins this year in a head to head at Williams arena. Robbins, at a legit 7-0 and shot blocking machine for the Gophs, was outplayed by the 6-8/6-9 Rebraca. I think he's plenty good whether at the 4 or 5. 😎❤️🏀

Really? Jennifer Aniston wasn't at Chrome Horse? I know the owner and manager. I'll have to talk to them about getting the acts lined up better. Check out the lead singer of Toxic Blonde, though. She's quite attractive.

Back to basketball: I thought Robbins all along was 50/50 at best. Rebraca is a more likely option, but I wouldn't put money on it. I wonder if there are some JUCO players the staff is looking at, too.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Some comments here are hilarious. Well, unrealistic is probably a better choice. So, there are around 350 D-I programs and because we had a good team, we should have our pick of players in the portal?? The other 350 programs are just gonna step aside because Iowa's interested?? Fran and his assistants must be sitting on their asses doing nothing if no one's signed yet?? Geez

I am far from a Fran apologist but you have no idea who's he's talked to and who he hasn't. Its frustrating to see other programs upgrade or try to upgrade their teams and we sit here with nothing. But if we know anything it's that Fran is very picky and is not going to rush into anything or anyone. It may come back to bite us, it might not if someone comes to the party late and we still have a spot available. To say that he doesn't have a "plan" is just someone who doesn't like Fran telling the world they don't like Fran.

Congratulations, you had a 50/50 shot and got it right. The Nobel prize is right around the corner.

Would have been nice to get Robbins, he's got some experience as a B1G center (all be it one year). When Mulvey moved up, it was a pretty good indicator. On the other hand, without his Uncle to lean on who knows how Robbins would have contributed...he seems pretty dependent on that connection.

Mulvey and Rebraca will fill the slot and JO might will some meaningful minutes if he works hard in the offseason. We'll be OK at the 5.

The real disaster would have been getting nobody.

Last edited:
Rebraca on what he’s looking for in a landing spot: ““My decision will come down to three things,” he said. “Academically I need a program that offers my masters degree in person because I'm an international student,

Check. No problemo, amigo.

“second I want to go to a program that has a history of winning and a culture of winning. I want to play on the biggest stage and go to march madness.

uuhhhh... we have had lots of March situations over the years... lots

Lastly a team that can help develop my perimeter skills even more. I feel like I took a big step this year, but I want a team that will allow me to grow in that aspect and see the vision I have for myself.”

uuhhhh...ok....

Last edited:
I am far from a Fran apologist but you have no idea who's he's talked to and who he hasn't. Its frustrating to see other programs upgrade or try to upgrade their teams and we sit here with nothing. But if we know anything it's that Fran is very picky and is not going to rush into anything or anyone. It may come back to bite us, it might not if someone comes to the party late and we still have a spot available. To say that he doesn't have a "plan" is just someone who doesn't like Fran telling the world they don't like Fran.
Fran's not trying to upgrade the team? Crap.

f44eca256a74549bbf67898cfbc08871.jpg

Anyone who watched Fran start and play his injured and ineffective son in our most important games down the stretch would have legit concerns about nepotism as far as transferring in. I also think people are aware of the Luka factor and that the second best guy could be gone too. I'll wait longer to see how it plays out but I know I wouldn't want to play for a coach who is awful at coaching D and plays favorites

typical Iowa's luck that we have the "Top 10" season but during a global pandemic when recruiting has been a dead period for over a year.

giving Fran a bit of slack as he can't control that.

Reactions: IAGuy

You really should find a team that fulfills your desires. If you chose to remain an Iowa fan, can you cut out the constant negativity? It bums me and I assume others out. Is that your intention?

Reactions: Hawksfinal4

Fair points but do you really think it is that hard to find a couple guys to come to Iowa? 11 years and Fran has done little / nothing in the transfer space. When has Iowa had a play maker / shot creator at the guard spot? My POV is Dev Marble. That also happens to be Fran's best post-season run in 11 years at Iowa. Conventional wisdom tells me we need to find more guards like Dev Marble whether it be via recruiting or transfers. Iowa spent the entire season in the top 10, had NPOY, put up a lot of flashy offensive numbers yet Fran can't get anyone interested? Meanwhile Vanderbilt who won 9 games last year landed Robbins and countless other teams far less successful than Iowa in the past couple years have landed players.

There is an 11 year trend here, not 2-3. You know from other posts I am not a fan of Fran as a coach or recruiter. For what he is paid he shouldn't require 11 years of on the job training to figure out transfers are an absolute necessity at a program like Iowa when the state does not produce a lot of D-1 talent and / or you can't land them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hwks4ever
You really should find a team that fulfills your desires. If you chose to remain an Iowa fan, can you cut out the constant negativity? It bums me and I assume others out. Is that your intention?
No, that is not my intention. It is my intention to point out that Fran, once again, has a chance to upgrade a couple spots via the portal and has thus far struck out after spending the entire season in the top 10. Do you really think Iowa is some Dodge City, KS destination for college hoops? I sure as hell don't. So that leaves Fran and his approach to the portal.

What bums me out is seeing Iowa get taken to the wood shed again in the 2nd round and Fran giving the same tired excuses for not doing anything in the offseason to upgrade the team.

Reactions: hawkeyekid
Really? Jennifer Aniston wasn't at Chrome Horse? I know the owner and manager. I'll have to talk to them about getting the acts lined up better. Check out the lead singer of Toxic Blonde, though. She's quite attractive.

Back to basketball: I thought Robbins all along was 50/50 at best. Rebraca is a more likely option, but I wouldn't put money on it. I wonder if there are some JUCO players the staff is looking at, too.
Non-hoops topic, but first time going there and I highly recommend it. Food was really solid and the staff was on their A game despite it being crowded for the local 80's cover band. Only downside was the realization that I had cassettes of all the artists the band covered which makes me old.

So, let's not move the goal posts on what you said and how I personally responded. Your contention was that we had zero chance, which was clearly untrue and just sour grapes from you.
Lol, Ah the moving goal posts after you called me out. Results are what they are. I put it out there that if I was wrong I would own it with an apology thread and take whatever beratement came my way. I was extremely confident we had 0 chance because of the last 11 years. I also said IF Fran lands anyone, it will be a player from a low-tier mid-major because he seemingly can't go to head-to-head with any other program with a pulse.

I have yet to see a single response from anyone explaining the UFO or Bermuda Triangle type forces that apparently prevent Fran from portal success....because it can't be Fran.

Jerry Stackhouse I suppose? Pretty hoity-toity education as well. But they're a Baseball school.
Had to be something pretty compelling given a case could be made that there likely isn't a program better suited to his game than Iowa. Maybe he is an aspiring country musician.

I for one miss the discussion threads about how awful Carver is, old ladies knitting and fans telling people to sit down.
Do you want a message board that is only discussions on how great everything is?
I support this team, I'll cheer, I'll watch almost every game, and I WANT BETTER than what Fran is providing.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I for one miss the discussion threads about how awful Carver is, old ladies knitting and fans telling people to sit down.
Do you want a message board that is only discussions on how great everything is?
I support this team, I'll cheer, I'll watch almost every game, and I WANT BETTER than what Fran is providing.
Not at all. The OP goes on and on focusing only on his negative impressions, most of which are fabricated and recycled complaints packaged differently.

Not at all. The OP goes on and on focusing only on his negative impressions, most of which are fabricated and recycled complaints packaged differently.
Which of my posts have been recycled or fabricated? You are certainly welcome to your opinions and if I have something to offer for / against, I will. If not, I don't feel the need to label you. My bar at the beginning of the year was for Iowa to compete, not win, in a second round game. That did not happen (again). So looking ahead, I want to understand why Fran isn't willing or able to change his approach to the portal. I do not think Iowa is an elite program capable of competing for 4-5 star kids, but is it unreasonable to expect Fran to improve in recruiting or portal utilization?

Non-hoops topic, but first time going there and I highly recommend it. Food was really solid and the staff was on their A game despite it being crowded for the local 80's cover band. Only downside was the realization that I had cassettes of all the artists the band covered which makes me old.
What did ya order? Tia

What did ya order? Tia
I went with the breaded tenderloin (no bun) and baked beans. I was designated chauffer, so I went with water on the rocks for a beverage. Friends got taco pizza which they said was great and all the food I saw come out looked amazing. Can't compliment their staff enough. Crazy busy and they were on it from start to finish.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Unfortunately it takes a snake oil salesman to get top recruits to Iowa City. The vast majority of recruits don’t give a rip about the Iowa program (yet funnily enough some of them would consider Iowa State, Minnesota and Nebraska) and Fran is content with getting whatever leftovers are available.

Reactions: Mccusk34
Had to be something pretty compelling given a case could be made that there likely isn't a program better suited to his game than Iowa. Maybe he is an aspiring country musician.
Why did Liam go to MN? His uncle, primarily. Why is he leaving MN? Because his uncle is leaving. Why is he going to Vanderbilt? Maybe because his uncle is?

It's not rocket science.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT