ADVERTISEMENT

Robbins to Vandy and no momentum from regular season

Let's make something perfectly clear. Unless several of you naysayers are multi-millionaire contributors, you will have nothing to say about who coaches Iowa. None. I'm sure Barta does not consult this forum to make decisions about hiring and extensions. What you will do is bring down the level of discussion on this board, one that I normally enjoy coming to, with your constant negativity. And yes, no one wanted a National Championship, or even more tournament success than I do. I have followed Iowa basketball longer than a lot of you have been alive, so it's disappointing when the Hawks flame out early in the tournament, especially when we are featuring the NPOY. But by constant bitching about McCaffery, nepotism, in game coaching, recruiting, transfer portals etc, etc, etc that some of you find so lacking in this program will not be repaired by your constant posts pointing out the flaws. Real life facts: Iowa is NOT an easy place to recruit to. Five star athletes rarely even think about Iowa even though we spent the entire year in the Top Ten. Even four star athletes have preconceived notions of what the acceptable schools are when they brag to their friends about who is chasing them. Iowa is not one of those schools. Therefore, McCaffery plucks high 3's and low 4's from HS and attempts to build successful teams. They are generally content to remain in IC until their four years are up, they stay out of trouble and we have had some success with this blueprint. This is the McCaffery plan and bitch as you might, it is the plan he will use until the day he decides to retire from Iowa. The incessant bitching on this board by certain posters will not move the needle one iota.
Man, now THAT’s a paragraph! 😉

Back to my original thread title...Fran has really leveraged the hell out of spending the season in the top 10. 0 activity in the portal and now CJ leaving on the verge of stepping into a 1st or 2nd scoring option role. I am convinced Fran could be down to 3 scholarship players and he wouldn't see the need to utilize the portal.

So now we have the return of Jbo and / or Fran finding a Jbo clone in the portal from some low mid-major to look forward to. What are we up to now 90% of the scoring from last year gone with CJ's departure? If you don't think Fran is a big part of the problem here, you aren't living in reality IMO.

Back to my original thread title...Fran has really leveraged the hell out of spending the season in the top 10. 0 activity in the portal and now CJ leaving on the verge of stepping into a 1st or 2nd scoring option role. I am convinced Fran could be down to 3 scholarship players and he wouldn't see the need to utilize the portal.

So now we have the return of Jbo and / or Fran finding a Jbo clone in the portal from some low mid-major to look forward to. What are we up to now 90% of the scoring from last year gone with CJ's departure? If you don't think Fran is a big part of the problem here, you aren't living in reality IMO.
maybe he has been trying to utilize the portal and is just drawing blanks, for whatever reason Iowa does not seem to be sexy right now even with the season they just had.
pretty disappointing what is happening.....love to be a fly on the walls down there........

Still lots of opportunities in the portal but you have to use it and seize them.

This staff doesn’t seem built for the new reality. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Let's make something perfectly clear. Unless several of you naysayers are multi-millionaire contributors, you will have nothing to say about who coaches Iowa. None. I'm sure Barta does not consult this forum to make decisions about hiring and extensions. What you will do is bring down the level of discussion on this board, one that I normally enjoy coming to, with your constant negativity. And yes, no one wanted a National Championship, or even more tournament success than I do. I have followed Iowa basketball longer than a lot of you have been alive, so it's disappointing when the Hawks flame out early in the tournament, especially when we are featuring the NPOY. But by constant bitching about McCaffery, nepotism, in game coaching, recruiting, transfer portals etc, etc, etc that some of you find so lacking in this program will not be repaired by your constant posts pointing out the flaws. Real life facts: Iowa is NOT an easy place to recruit to. Five star athletes rarely even think about Iowa even though we spent the entire year in the Top Ten. Even four star athletes have preconceived notions of what the acceptable schools are when they brag to their friends about who is chasing them. Iowa is not one of those schools. Therefore, McCaffery plucks high 3's and low 4's from HS and attempts to build successful teams. They are generally content to remain in IC until their four years are up, they stay out of trouble and we have had some success with this blueprint. This is the McCaffery plan and bitch as you might, it is the plan he will use until the day he decides to retire from Iowa. The incessant bitching on this board by certain posters will not move the needle one iota.
The right way...........

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Still lots of opportunities in the portal but you have to use it and seize them.

This staff doesn’t seem built for the new reality. I hope I’m wrong.
Excellent point. We can all probably agree that the current climate has opened Pandora's box, but you can choose to embrace reality or live in some altered version of it, Fran and CJ's dad go way back and last week CJ was good to for next season and this week he is leaving??

Reactions: Mccusk34
Sounds like Robbins may not be eligible right away after all.

Transfers​

The Division I Board of Directors ratified the adoption of legislation expanding the one-time transfer exception to all student-athletes, no matter what sport they play. The Division I Council adopted the legislation, which allows all student-athletes who have not transferred in the past the opportunity to compete immediately after transfer once in their period of eligibility.

The rule is now effective and applies to all student-athletes who want to transfer for the first time for the 2021-22 academic year. If a student has previously transferred, the waiver process is available.

One-Time Transfer Exception Criteria for 2021-22 Enrollment

Postgraduate Transfer Prior Transfers
Q1: What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?
A1: In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.
Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

Q2 What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?
A2: The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

Prior Transfers

Q3: What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?
A3: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

Last edited:
Sounds like Robbins may not be eligible right away after all.

Transfers​

The Division I Board of Directors ratified the adoption of legislation expanding the one-time transfer exception to all student-athletes, no matter what sport they play. The Division I Council adopted the legislation, which allows all student-athletes who have not transferred in the past the opportunity to compete immediately after transfer once in their period of eligibility.

The rule is now effective and applies to all student-athletes who want to transfer for the first time for the 2021-22 academic year. If a student has previously transferred, the waiver process is available.

One-Time Transfer Exception Criteria for 2021-22 Enrollment

Postgraduate Transfer Prior Transfers
Q1: What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?
A1: In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.
Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

Q2 What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?
A2: The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

Prior Transfers

Q3: What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?
A3: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.
Q4: Does a student-athlete who previously transferred at the beginning of the
I believe this is after the pandemic free pass year going forward. This year I believe that everyone gets a freebie.

Haven’t seen that stated any where.
The initial waiver allowed them to compete without sitting out. The subsequent change is not retroactive from what I am reading, i.e., the students like Robbins who were allowed to transfer and compete immediately are now allowed the 1 freebie, too. At least that's the way I am reading it.

The initial waiver allowed them to compete without sitting out. The subsequent change is not retroactive from what I am reading, i.e., the students like Robbins who were allowed to transfer and compete immediately are now allowed the 1 freebie, too. At least that's the way I am reading it.
Read my post above, #130.

HMM, weird, but not how I'm reading it. Says for 21-22 school year and couldn't previously transfer. Why wouldn't they have released this before these kids transferred?

HMM, weird, but not how I'm reading it. Says for 21-22 school year and couldn't previously transfer. Why wouldn't they have released this before these kids transferred?
That's why I cannot see how they can suddenly make this retroactive. In Robbins' case, his coach was fired, too, not that it matters. The rules in place when he transferred allowed his move without penalty.

That's why I cannot see how they can suddenly make this retroactive. In Robbins' case, his coach was fired, too, not that it matters. The rules in place when he transferred allowed his move without penalty.
Man, if there is a worse run place than the NCAA, I'd love to see it.

No. The transfer rules were already in place they’re just upholding them despite the pandemic.

Robbins must hate his mom and the rest of his family compared to his uncle since he said he wanted to play near family.

ADVERTISEMENT