ADVERTISEMENT

Robbins to Vandy and no momentum from regular season

Indeed. I missed that defunct 2K tourney champ banner raising. 😆

I guess Fran really does have an impressive body of work after all.

You were wrong. That’s all you had to acknowledge. But you continue on to be incorrect some more. Defunct? The tournament was played this season, during the pandemic, and won by Villanova. The eventual National Champion Baylor Bears were scheduled to be in this tournament, but had to back out due to Covid. Some crappy tournament by your standards though.

Reactions: BBHawk
You think there's some magic coach waiting somewhere for that call from Iowa. A guy that consistently recruits 4*s, wins the BTT and hits the Sweet 16 every couple of years
There’s no coach better than Fran. Period.

There are none who could be better than .505 in conference after 11 years. There are none who could win two NCAA tourney games in a row even once out of 11 years.

People are completely crazy to think that something like that even exists outside of the movies.

I don’t understand why people aren’t satisfied to just watch Fran’s sons develop over the years. That’s really what it’s all about — giving scholarships to the sons of a millionaire coach. I can’t wait until his youngest is old enough to get his scholarship! There’s so much to look forward to!

Last edited:
You were wrong. That’s all you had to acknowledge. But you continue on to be incorrect some more. Defunct? The tournament was played this season, during the pandemic, and won by Villanova. The eventual National Champion Baylor Bears were scheduled to be in this tournament, but had to back out due to Covid. Some crappy tournament by your standards though.
The 2K part is defunct. The whole thing is a joke.

He's not a fan. He's a troll. Consider him in that light.

The only compliments he has ever given Iowa have been backhanded ones.

There are none who could be better than .505 in conference after 11 years. There are none who could win two NCAA tourney games in a row even once out of 11 years.

People are completely crazy to think that something like that even exists outside of the movies.

I don’t understand why people aren’t satisfied to just watch Fran’s sons develop over the years. That’s really what it’s all about — giving scholarships to the sons of millionaires. I can’t wait until his youngest is old enough to get his scholarship! There’s so much to look forward to!
Did McC screw your girlfriend/wife? What is it with your constant diatribe against him?

You really need help.

He's not a fan. He's a troll. Consider him in that light.

The only compliments he has ever given Iowa have been backhanded ones.

You are 100% correct. I try and ignore it as much as possible. The constant bashing of coaches and even players, makes this board unbearable some times. These turds will turn every thread into a bitchfest.

When someone who thinks they’re so smart, doesn’t know basic Hawkeye facts though. I can’t bite my tongue any longer.

I don’t understand why people aren’t satisfied to just watch Fran’s sons develop over the years. That’s really what it’s all about — giving scholarships to the sons of a millionaire coach. I can’t wait until his youngest is old enough to get his scholarship! There’s so much to look forward to!

People often use sarcasm to cover when they are wrong. Good work by you. Textbook.

You are 100% correct. I try and ignore it as much as possible. The constant bashing of coaches and even players, makes this board unbearable some times. These turds will turn every thread into a bitchfest.

When someone who thinks they’re so smart, doesn’t know basic Hawkeye facts though. I can’t bite my tongue any longer.
Which is more annoying, the negativity or the brainlessness? Like there's this sure bet that will make Iowa a blue blood. Ask them who and you get stupid snark or just a reiteration of the complaint.

The thing that makes this so especially stupid is Iowa's recent experience with replacing successful coaches...disaster. Now you've got people that either don't know how bad things got under Alford and how far we fell.

You know when you rag on the coaches every year regardless of the record (like the dullards that say football finish at #15/#16 is nuthin', mediocrity and time to just hire _______________ and see what they can do). In today's world winning anything at Iowa is extremely hard.

Which is more annoying, the negativity or the brainlessness?
The brainlessness.

The idiotic certainty that any coach we hire other than Fran will be a program destroying disaster. Why? Well .... because Lickliter, derp...

The negativity of believing Iowa should never really believe it can get to a sweet sixteen or win a conference title is pretty bad too but yeah... it’s the stupidity I find most annoying.

Reactions: Bee93
Like there's this sure bet that will make Iowa a blue blood.
Lol

Do you really think that making a sweet sixteen once every 11 years would make Iowa a “blue blood”?

Nobody is using that term but you because you don’t know how to make an argument.

The simple truth is that if Iowa hired a coach that won a conference title every decade OR went to a sweet sixteen once every decade OR even made it to the Big Ten Tourney final game once every decade, that coach would be better than Fran. That coach would certainly be mediocre. That coach would be fired by all blue blood programs and even some not so blue blood programs. But that coach would better than Fran.

I’d usually say something like “let that sink in..” but I doubt that much sinks in where you’re concerned.

Ask them who and you get stupid snark or just a reiteration of the complaint.
Lol

Scott Drew, Dana Altman, Eric Mussleman, Chris Mack, John Beilein, Mick Cronin,... Nate Oates, Rick Barnes, Dan Hurley.... there are, quite literally 40, probably more, high major active coaches who could certainly do what Fran has done here the past 11 years and likely much more.

“but none of those guys would come to Iowa...”

A few would if you paid them. Hell I’d trade 5 years of Ben Howland for five more years of Fran, and he’d probably head up tomorrow if you gave him a call.

The sad fact is that there is no way you fire Fran after last year. It would be outrageous. 2017? Sure. Now? No way.

He’s mediocred his way into a lifetime job with Iowa (and free college for his kids) but that’s no reason to pretend that there are not plenty of coaches who could step in and improve this program.

What simps like you are looking for is a guarantee of success before any move is made. There’s no such thing in life. There are just goals and taking action to reach them. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you fail but you always continue towards the goal.

What we have now is the definition of stagnation and paralysis.

Last edited:
Lol

Scott Drew, Dana Altman, Eric Mussleman, Chris Mack, John Beilein, Mick Cronin,... Nate Oates, Rick Barnes, Dan Hurley.... there are, quite literally 40, probably more, high major active coaches who could certainly do what Fran has done here the past 11 years and likely much more.

“but none of those guys would come to Iowa...”

A few would if you paid them. Hell I’d trade 5 years of Ben Howland for five more years of Fran, and he’d probably head up tomorrow if you gave him a call.

The sad fact is that there is no way you fire Fran after last year. It would be outrageous. 2017? Sure. Now? No way.

He’s mediocred his way into a lifetime job with Iowa (and free college for his kids) but that’s no reason to pretend that there are not plenty of coaches who could step in and improve this program.

What simps like you are looking for is a guarantee of success before any move is made. There’s no such thing in life. There are just goals and taking action to reach them. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you fail but you always continue towards the goal.

What we have now is the definition of stagnation and paralysis.
You're a joke.

What am I wrong about?
“Not a single thing. Zero hardware in over a decade. Not even two wins in the NCAA tourney. Not even an NIT title. Not even a crappy pre-conference schedule tourney title.”

This. There was a crappy pre conference tourney title. The op posted, did you miss that post? FYI the McCaffrey boys would have a free education whether their Dad was a coach or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
Let's make something perfectly clear. Unless several of you naysayers are multi-millionaire contributors, you will have nothing to say about who coaches Iowa. None. I'm sure Barta does not consult this forum to make decisions about hiring and extensions. What you will do is bring down the level of discussion on this board, one that I normally enjoy coming to, with your constant negativity. And yes, no one wanted a National Championship, or even more tournament success than I do. I have followed Iowa basketball longer than a lot of you have been alive, so it's disappointing when the Hawks flame out early in the tournament, especially when we are featuring the NPOY. But by constant bitching about McCaffery, nepotism, in game coaching, recruiting, transfer portals etc, etc, etc that some of you find so lacking in this program will not be repaired by your constant posts pointing out the flaws. Real life facts: Iowa is NOT an easy place to recruit to. Five star athletes rarely even think about Iowa even though we spent the entire year in the Top Ten. Even four star athletes have preconceived notions of what the acceptable schools are when they brag to their friends about who is chasing them. Iowa is not one of those schools. Therefore, McCaffery plucks high 3's and low 4's from HS and attempts to build successful teams. They are generally content to remain in IC until their four years are up, they stay out of trouble and we have had some success with this blueprint. This is the McCaffery plan and bitch as you might, it is the plan he will use until the day he decides to retire from Iowa. The incessant bitching on this board by certain posters will not move the needle one iota.

Iowa is not one of those schools.
lol

Is Wisconsin one of those schools?

Because they’ve had a whole hell of a lot more success than Iowa over the last 20 years.

How did they do it? Not with a stable of mcd all Americans every year.

Pro tip: If you can’t take the “negativity” hit ignore (you pearl clutching pansy).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mccusk34
This. There was a crappy pre conference tourney title. The op posted, did you miss that post?
I responded to that post. Did you miss it?

Believe me. That 2K Empire Classic title will forevermore be listed by me along with the other hardware overflowing Fran’s trophy case like multiple ties for third place and making the BTT semifinals for the first time in 11 tries.

All banner worthy events.

Not in the Big Ten, they wouldn’t.
Ranked #152 and #86. You may want to check and see if there were far lower ranked players in those classes that ended up in the B1G. You should stick to posting about opinions, you don’t fare to well in the fact based ones.

Reactions: iahawks10
Ranked #152 and #86. You may want to check and see if there were far lower ranked players in those classes that ended up in the B1G. You should stick to posting about opinions, you don’t fare to well in the fact based ones.
yeah... 152 that’s a B1G lock. Lol.

Fact? Play on the floor is the only fact that matters. How many B1G teams would Connor play basketball for?

yeah... 152 that’s a B1G lock. Lol.

Fact? Play on the floor is the only fact that matters. How many B1G teams would Connor play basketball for?
You really don’t do facts well. Review the rankings of recruits in 2017, yup several recruits ranked lower than Connor on multiple teams that year. Same with Patrick. Whether they would play or not wasn’t the discussion. They would have their college paid for in any P5 conference.
As far as you addressing the pre conference tournament win, good for you the tournament doesn’t meet your standard. Perhaps if you had said that in your original post it would matter. You didn’t so it doesn’t. You were factually wrong on both of these items. Keep spinning, changing the criteria, etc. It doesn’t change the facts. Stick to your opinion, stay away from the fact based discussion, it’s not your strength.

Reactions: iahawks10
To not complain about the lack of results from Fran is just well, apathy.

Iowa has averaged 20.5 wins per season in the last 10 years. Apathy is nowhere near this Iowa fan base. We saw apathy around here and it wasn’t that long ago either.

Iowa has averaged 9.14 B1G wins during and 18 game conf schedule and 11.67 B1G wins with the 20 game schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
You really don’t do facts well. Review the rankings of recruits in 2017, yup several recruits ranked lower than Connor on multiple teams that year. Same with Patrick. Whether they would play or not wasn’t the discussion. They would have their college paid for in any P5 conference.
As far as you addressing the pre conference tournament win, good for you the tournament doesn’t meet your standard. Perhaps if you had said that in your original post it would matter. You didn’t so it doesn’t. You were factually wrong on both of these items. Keep spinning, changing the criteria, etc. It doesn’t change the facts. Stick to your opinion, stay away from the fact based discussion, it’s not your strength.

To be fair, Raptor also thinks that the Empire classic is “defunct”, because they changed sponsorships. I’d hate to hear what he thinks about bowl games. That is the intelligence level you are dealing with when you engage in conversation with him.

What B1G team would Connor play for?

lol

I think it's HILARIOUS that some posters drool over IL when their season ended before Iowa's. LOL!

The love fest for Michigan and Oregon and their athletes. Iowa is 7-7 vs Michigan going back to 2013-14 and 1-1 vs Oregon in this same time. But Iowa can’t keep up with these athletic programs.

What B1G team would Connor play for?

lol
That wasn't the original point that was in contention. Connor would be getting a free education in the B1G. Each year multiple schools sign kids ranked far lower than Connor. That would equal a free education. Perhaps you should try to say it in all CAPS or bold, maybe italics could help your opinion. You don't have any facts to help you so trickeration might be the answer.

Pro tip - typing it multiple times and wanting it to be true isn't going to make it true.

Keep changing the subject, you are wrong on the subject I addressed. It's okay, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
I’m usually wrong about half a dozen times before lunch but on this I really don’t think I am wrong.

1. Relying on high school rankings is dubious because what would they have been ranked if not connected to Fran? Likely nowhere near where they were.

2. Look at what they are at the college level. I guess there are some bad p5 programs that might give Pat a scholly... maybe. More likely he ends up in mid major land. Connor? I seriously can’t name one other B1G program where he would be given minutes including Nebraska. And neither can you.

I’m usually wrong about half a dozen times before lunch but on this I really don’t think I am wrong.

1. Relying on high school rankings is dubious because what would they have been ranked if not connected to Fran? Likely nowhere near where they were.

2. Look at what they are at the college level. I guess there are some bad p5 programs that might give Pat a scholly... maybe. More likely he ends up in mid major land. Connor? I seriously can’t name one other B1G program where he would be given minutes including Nebraska. And neither can you.
I am sure there was a bump in rankings based on their last name. Was it similar to the bump that Buddy Boeheim got to make it all the way up to #349. I will venture that the Boeheim name resonates more nationally than McCaffery. How did he not make it at least to #152?
Both of the McCaffery's would be on a P5 team. You don't get in the top 100 just because of your last name.

Reactions: HawkOn15
I am sure there was a bump in rankings based on their last name. Was it similar to the bump that Buddy Boeheim got to make it all the way up to #349. I will venture that the Boeheim name resonates more nationally than McCaffery. How did he not make it at least to #152?
Both of the McCaffery's would be on a P5 team. You don't get in the top 100 just because of your last name.
That’s why I conceded that Pat might make a P5 roster.

That’s why I said Pat might make a P5 roster.
You don't make it to #152 based on your last name either. See Boeheim, Buddy. How they developed is a different story. Hindsight is usually pretty accurate. Both of the McCaffrey's would have been signed by P5 schools.

Reactions: HawkOn15
You don't make it to #152 based on your last name either. See Boeheim, Buddy. How they developed is a different story. Hindsight is usually pretty accurate. Both of the McCaffrey's would have been signed by P5 schools.
Patrick I agree. Connor no way. There is major gap in athleticism between the two and as we have seen, Connor has 0 offense. You make it to 152 playing high school ball in Iowa on a loaded team. You look at the weakest link in the starting 5 and it was Connor hands down. Iowa played 4 on 5 offensively with him in the game at a position that you need some level of productivity from. You or I would have 3 assists per game feeding Garza and while he made some nice interior feeds, they did not offset his lack of shot making all season.

Patrick I agree. Connor no way. There is major gap in athleticism between the two and as we have seen, Connor has 0 offense. You make it to 152 playing high school ball in Iowa on a loaded team. You look at the weakest link in the starting 5 and it was Connor hands down. Iowa played 4 on 5 offensively with him in the game at a position that you need some level of productivity from. You or I would have 3 assists per game feeding Garza and while he made some nice interior feeds, they did not offset his lack of shot making all season.
Hanging out with Raptor on this one I see. You are correct, ‘we have seen’ and ‘is the weakest link’. Both things that have been determined after playing at this level. That wasn’t the point being discussed. Connor would have gotten a free college education based on where he was viewed while in high school. The rankings generally don’t factor their high school team performance in very much. Far more AAU/camp performance based. Without the last name McCaffery he still gets a scholly P5 out of high school.
Now if we want to discuss it based on where he is now we can, but that wasn’t the original point raptor started with.

Hanging out with Raptor on this one I see. You are correct, ‘we have seen’ and ‘is the weakest link’. Both things that have been determined after playing at this level. That wasn’t the point being discussed. Connor would have gotten a free college education based on where he was viewed while in high school. The rankings generally don’t factor their high school team performance in very much. Far more AAU/camp performance based. Without the last name McCaffery he still gets a scholly P5 out of high school.
Now if we want to discuss it based on where he is now we can, but that wasn’t the original point raptor started with.
I have never made a reference to the last name playing a factor in anything. I don't have a problem with him being on scholarship at Iowa, but I am not sure what he has done to merit the amount of PT he gets. Is it because he is Fran's kid? I don't think so. Fran has demonstrated over the years he recruits a class, selects his starters and those guys are essentially locked in to start until graduation. Not for me to say right or wrong as Fran makes a lot more bank than I do, but he is the college basketball equivalent of somebody holding on to their Blockbuster Video rewards card waiting for them to make a comeback IMO.

I have never made a reference to the last name playing a factor in anything. I don't have a problem with him being on scholarship at Iowa, but I am not sure what he has done to merit the amount of PT he gets. Is it because he is Fran's kid? I don't think so. Fran has demonstrated over the years he recruits a class, selects his starters and those guys are essentially locked in to start until graduation. Not for me to say right or wrong as Fran makes a lot more bank than I do, but he is the college basketball equivalent of somebody holding on to their Blockbuster Video rewards card waiting for them to make a comeback IMO.
I don’t disagree with you. You happened to join a conversation where raptor had claimed that neither MCCaffrey would have gotten a free college education without their last name. Presented the facts and they chose to double down on their opinion being right and the facts being wrong. I think he gets too many minutes and is limited on what he can contribute. However that wasn’t the consensus when he was being ranked/recruited. Raptor wanted to base it on what we see now but that wasn’t the original subject. Sorry if I came off wrong on my response.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT