ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Avila Jr

2 Iowa Preps and 2 Nebraska preps in UVA’s class now. Nick Hamilton being one of the Nebraska kids. Formerly of underwood.

mistake Iowa isn’t pursuing him. Wasted commits on other guys
Wasted commits on other guys? Which ones? Are you implying that Iowa wasted the only available money for Avila on those other commits? If so, you're wrong. And remember, the kid has to want to come to Iowa - they do have a say in the matter - are you sure Avila was interested in wrestling 3rd string at Iowa. If so, you're wrong.

tbh just my thoughts. Watching him seems like a solid d1 wrestler but doesn’t jump out at me. 3 years ago I felt like he was a must get. Now, he kind of has blended in with those mid tier recruits. I would have been happy with the hawks getting him but just not upset we didn’t. Best of look to him. Hope he proves me wrong.

I thought he moved to Iowa from Nevada due to being a hawk fan. Am I wrong on that? Or am I thinking of someone else? Not sure on him as a a recruit but he does have 3 titles. I get it it’s 1a but he is tough. Not swaying either way but maybe the coaches see something we don’t if they didn’t really recruit him or went after him hard. They know better than we do.

Reactions: Chips28
mistake Iowa isn’t pursuing him. Wasted commits on other guys

Avila is like many of the recent commits. Not a big time recruit. Wouldn’t have been depended upon to start but perhaps breaks through in college.

A lot of upside with Robert if he commits himself to getting into top notch shape. Would have loved to see that at Iowa, but wishing him all the best at Virginia.

Reactions: IAChief32
A lot of upside with Robert if he commits himself to getting into top notch shape. Would have loved to see that at Iowa, but wishing him all the best at Virginia.
My observation is he always had a lot of talent but seemed to be above his optimal weight. He was very mature physically at a younger age as well which tends to even out some.

I thought he moved to Iowa from Nevada due to being a hawk fan. Am I wrong on that? Or am I thinking of someone else? Not sure on him as a a recruit but he does have 3 titles. I get it it’s 1a but he is tough. Not swaying either way but maybe the coaches see something we don’t if they didn’t really recruit him or went after him hard. They know better than we do.
Not really... moved here for a better and recognized program. Had been training here several years in prep for preseason Nationals, so knew the local area schools. Wanted better partners all around. School was a pick based in affordable areas, and Lisbon beat out ICW, Solon and I forget the other.. good dudes from my experience. Wasn't so much a Hawk thing, as an exposure thing

Reactions: Jrjt0518
No room for him anyway is there? Unless he wants to sit on the sidelines the next few years. With all the commits we've had last 18 months I'm curious what 2022/2023 line up looks like.

I’m not big on Willys rankings at all. Ranks kids according to club affiliation and friendships he builds with the clubs. I’ve seen multiple kids on his list go down to unranked kids. If you want an idea on true rankings Flo is where to look. Willys rankings are Squirrley as he is.

I’m not big on Willys rankings at all. Ranks kids according to club affiliation and friendships he builds with the clubs. I’ve seen multiple kids on his list go down to unranked kids. If you want an idea on true rankings Flo is where to look. Willys rankings are Squirrley as he is.

Examples? IMO, Willie is the best at H.S. rankings.

Hmm. You don't have to like him, but he has done the best HS rankings since TOM.

No room for him anyway is there? Unless he wants to sit on the sidelines the next few years. With all the commits we've had last 18 months I'm curious what 2022/2023 line up looks like.
2022/23
125 Ayala Fr
133 Schriever Fr
141 Henson Fr
149 Murin Sr
157 Rathjen/Renya Fr
165 Kennedy/Brands Fr/Jr
174 Brands/Kennedy Jr/Fr
184 Assad So(if rs in 2021/22 or Jr)
197 Warner Sr
285 Cass Jr

mistake Iowa isn’t pursuing him. Wasted commits on other gu
Did you watch Super 32 last weekend? Look at Top 8 finishers vs. seeds. Pretty impressive seeding by Willie. He seeded C J Walrath 25th @ 182. He beat Mickey Griffith and finished 8th. Most people in Iowa who follow wrestling have never heard of him (including me). IA Wrestle doesn’t have him in their Fab 50.

Flo is where it's at? You mean the folks who ranked Robert Howard 10th at 126 with 6 other seniors ranked above him but listed him at the #7 best recruit in the nation overall? OK.

Did you watch Super 32 last weekend? Look at Top 8 finishers vs. seeds. Pretty impressive seeding by Willie. He seeded C J Walrath 25th @ 182. He beat Mickey Griffith and finished 8th. Most people in Iowa who follow wrestling have never heard of him (including me). IA Wrestle doesn’t have him in their Fab 50.

Same. Walrath opened some eyes.

Beautiful campuses are important. I fondly remember my first trip to my hometown Spencer School of Business. They had grass, and 3 or 4 trees, and I thought to myself "yep, this is the place for me"! 😏
I’m just lost here. Fab 50 for each weight?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT