ADVERTISEMENT

Roberto Clemente

Good throw, but only about 280 feet or so. Right field fence is only 309. One of my first MLB games was a Cubs/ Pirate double header, where Stargell hit a mammoth HR to right field and # 21 went like 8 for 10 on the day...

Oh, and that '71 MVP - Clemente was already in his 17th year of MLB baseball. His career cut short but he did play 18 years and looked like he could play 5 more...

Last edited:
Funny the things you remember as a kid…the g6 hr went just over my head - close enough that I thought I could catch it - but was caught by a pirates fan who had a shaved head and had written “beat ‘em bucks” on it in magic marker.

Hated him in '71 after they beat my beloved Orioles but was crushed by his loss. Greater human being than he was a baseball player and he was an incredible ball player.

Reactions: billanole
A couple of years ago my when my son was 9, I found a baseball card in the back pocket of his baseball uniform. I asked my son about it and he says he puts a card in his pocket before every game for good luck. According to him he plays better with a Clemente card in his pocket. Proud Dad moment that he even knew who Clemente was.

wow. Another funny story around drafts...

My uncle ran the expansion draft for the KC Royals in ~69. As it happened, the Yankees had left Mickey Mantle unprotected. My uncle's view was that despite his age and decline, he was perfect for KC in that he could still hit and, as a midwesterner, could transition into a player-coach role, and could draw people to games from the region. He was fully prepared to draft Mantle.

Until Ewing Kauffman found out. And told him in no uncertain terms that Mickey Mantle would retire a Yankee, and that if he were drafted, my uncle would be fired that day.

A lot of great outfield arms have come and gone over the years in baseball. It's impressive how many people still rank Clemente at #1. His throwing ability is almost mythical. Like the stories we hear about Walter Johnson's speed as a pitcher.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT